House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LJAR

Public Sector Pay Is 7.5% Above That Of The Private Sector

the 43% comparison was a raw figure not taking account of experience, gender or qualifications.

sheesh :rolleyes:

telegraph

The average public sector worker is paid 7.5pc more than his private sector rival when everything else is equal, according to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, reinforcing the case for the state's pay freeze.

The planned two-year pay freeze in the public sector would shrink this gap by almost 7 percentage points, said IFS economists, virtually eliminating the discrepancy.

EDIT - this is pay including pensions.

Edited by LJAR

It's not that at all.

I endured just over two years working in the DWP a few years back as a stop gap. This was in Telford and the salary was £17k which was £2-3k more than doing admin work for a private company. For my 3% pension contribution the DWP made a 17% contribution. In the real world at the bottom of the food chain an employers contribution would be less than 4%.

So Public Sector figure of 43% more remuneration is about right IMO

Edited by tomposh101

There used to be very low paid people at our place (NHS hospital). They were folk like cleaners & porters. But their jobs were privatised; they now work for Slaves-R-Us plc or somebody. Moving these low paid jobs from public to private sector brought down the private sector's average pay whilst the public sector's average pay went up.

There used to be very low paid people at our place (NHS hospital). They were folk like cleaners & porters. But their jobs were privatised; they now work for Slaves-R-Us plc or somebody. Moving these low paid jobs from public to private sector brought down the private sector's average pay whilst the public sector's average pay went up.

and this is precisely the point.

Also - public setor pay always lags private sector and the govt cannot respond quickly to changes in economic circumstances.

AND - the bankers of lloyds RBS etc are now counted in the "public sector" figures. so they push it up even more.

the public sector is still overpaid in many parts of the country, but not by 43%

Typical whine from me:

There's a retired fireman that goes to my gym... 3 years before he retired he was bumped up to senior status (before that he was still on a wad) so that his pension (final salary) would be more in later years. The guy retired at 48 (may have been 50), is very healthy, lives in a massive house I'd never be able to afford, and goes on holiday (Egypt & Las Vegas) 3 times a year!!! I'll be lucky to get £100 a month when I retire the way things are going.

What with pay being, on average, the same as in the private sector ... surely the argument for these great pensions is moot now? Get rid of them? Or should we be supporting them as that's what the state wants (to take everything from everybody)?

Reading your posts I think it must depend on the sector you work in.

I used to work in local government 4 years ago at the top grade in IT. Left and instantly got a big rise including compensation for the pension not being so attractive. I've changed jobs again since then and am now on about 70% more. (So about 10% up after inflation! :P )

The thing that struck me in local government was the sheer number of incompetents that I had to tolerate each day. In a department of around 150 I would say only about 10 to 15 were any good. Not surprisingly when a management change upset everyone, it was only the good people that left - because we could. To this day I still hear the same old whining from the people who stayed but they don't believe me when I encourage them to leave.

Yawn. If public sector pay was really that good, everybody would be working in it, rather than the private sector.

er? egh? everyone cant work in the public sector there aren't enough jobs (its 'only' 40% of the jobs market). Are you saying job demand drives job supply in the public sector?

10 people want a job in the public sector, so 10 new jobs are created for these people? Is this what you are saying? I'm actually quite scared if people think this, that jobs can be created for people in the public sector on demand!

Edited by AteMoose

I'm actually quite scared if people think this, that jobs can be created for people in the public sector on demand!

where have you been since about 2003?

The thing that struck me in local government was the sheer number of incompetents that I had to tolerate each day. In a department of around 150 I would say only about 10 to 15 were any good. Not surprisingly when a management change upset everyone, it was only the good people that left - because we could. To this day I still hear the same old whining from the people who stayed but they don't believe me when I encourage them to leave.

+1000

I've seen it first hand and it did my head in so much I left and doubled my salary at the same time.

Typical whine from me:

There's a retired fireman that goes to my gym... 3 years before he retired he was bumped up to senior status (before that he was still on a wad) so that his pension (final salary) would be more in later years. The guy retired at 48 (may have been 50), is very healthy, lives in a massive house I'd never be able to afford, and goes on holiday (Egypt & Las Vegas) 3 times a year!!! I'll be lucky to get £100 a month when I retire the way things are going.

What with pay being, on average, the same as in the private sector ... surely the argument for these great pensions is moot now? Get rid of them? Or should we be supporting them as that's what the state wants (to take everything from everybody)?

this is the kind of thing that justifies the Hutton reforms - publis sector pensions have been too generous for a while now

er? egh? everyone cant work in the public sector there aren't enough jobs (its 'only' 40% of the jobs market). Are you saying job demand drives job supply in the public sector?

10 people want a job in the public sector, so 10 new jobs are created for these people? Is this what you are saying? I'm actually quite scared if people think this, that jobs can be created for people in the public sector on demand!

Should have said, everybody would want to work in the public sector, if wages were so much better

Typical whine from me:

Have faith in the fact that it is unsustainable, and there will be a reset one way or another, there simply is no other choice.

Russia had three resets at the end of the 1990s pensions became worthless, but those who lived in state apartments got to keep them.

The only choice is how and when the reset happens.

You can choose inflation which Russia did, which easily tips into hyperinflation (which happened in Russia and Argentina). Which means everybody bar the people at the top get a haircut and you starve.

Or you can choose collaspe which means everybody get a haircut everybody starves and people like me start hunting humans on the ruins of civilisation and everybody but uber survivalistas like myself starve.

Whats it gonna be?

I've said it a couple of times, most of you hold the triggers, a fake bank run for instance with 500-1000 people queuing outside it would get on the news. It would make many people worry, people would scoff but would still go and draw out their savings like when there were pereceived petrol shortages.

At which the government introduces a bank holiday which makes people lose even more confidence or it prints out MORE money...... heh I got a letter about the guarenteed savings thing, it had the opposite effect tbh.

Should have said, everybody would want to work in the public sector, if wages were so much better

broadly speaking, up until about end 2009, up to the point when it became clear there would be severe cuts, most people did desire to work in the public sector, but it was very very difficult to get the move