House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Threefold Rise In Customers Unable To Pay Energy Bills

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/8513022/Threefold-rise-in-customers-unable-to-pay-energy-bills.html

The number of people running up debts with their energy supplier has nearly tripled during the past four years, a charity has warned.

The Money Advice Trust, which runs National Debtline, said it had seen a 181pc jump in the number of people seeking advice for fuel debts since 2007.

It added that during the past 12 months there had been a 10pc rise in the level of consumers who were unable to stay on top of their utility bills, making the area one of the fastest growing problems it dealt with.

The situation has been caused by the steep rise in energy prices seen during the past couple of years, combined with the growing squeeze on people's finances due to higher taxes and increases in the cost of living, at a time when wage growth is muted.

The charity warned that people should treat fuel debt as a so-called priority debt, and put money towards clearing it before they worried about other debts, such as unsecured borrowing, or they risked having their energy supply cut off.

No hard figures here and I'm not sure how a 181% increase equals a tripling of people running up debt, surely it should be a 300% increase?

Going to be lots of oldies in big old inefficient houses freezing to death in Britain, because the cost of living isn't going to be covered under cruddy state pensions.

Unless of course we find another North Sea bounty within our territory...

Going to be lots of oldies in big old inefficient houses freezing to death in Britain, because the cost of living isn't going to be covered under cruddy state pensions.

F4cking sell up to a young family that needs the space then and buy something more suited to your budget you miserly old c4nts! :P

F4cking sell up to a young family that needs the space then and buy something more suited to your budget you miserly old c4nts! :P

+1

:lol::lol::lol:

Agreed.

My folks house costs £6k a year to heat (oil, 20 rooms and two occupants lol). It's recently been valued at over £800k as they are hoping to downsize although another house on the same road has failed to sell for two years now (on at £650k).

IMO the ability to get a mortgage isn't going to be the determining factor in pricing going forward and it will be running costs instead. I would find it very funny (and satisfying) for one of you lot to snap up my inheritance for a song in the impending crash... i'd make damned sure there was a clause in the contract where I could make one visit to my birth home in the coldest month of the year only so I could gloat. There aren't enough people in this country able to afford to live in all those big houses and who'd in all honestly really want to, I know I wouldn't.

Edited by tomposh101

Agreed.

My folks house costs £6k a year to heat (oil, 20 rooms and two occupants lol). It's recently been valued at over £800k as they are hoping to downsize although another house on the same road has failed to sell for two years now (on at £650k).

IMO the ability to get a mortgage isn't going to be the determining factor in pricing going forward and it will be running costs instead. I would find it very funny (and satisfying) for one of you lot to snap up my inheritance for a song in the impending crash... i'd make damned sure there was a clause in the contract where I could make one visit to my birth home in the coldest month of the year only so I could gloat. There aren't enough people in this country able to afford to live in all those big houses and who'd in all honestly really want to, I know I wouldn't.

Why do 2 people need to heat 20 rooms? And from what you are saying, it won't be picked up for a song (Oh baby, its cold outside) but for its market value given the crippling costs involved in running it.

Why do 2 people need to heat 20 rooms? And from what you are saying, it won't be picked up for a song (Oh baby, its cold outside) but for its market value given the crippling costs involved in running it.

In the deacde after the second world war in many areas there was very little differential between the valueoflarge townhouses and smaller, cheaper to run two bed terraces.

They must raise interest rates, fuel bills will then fall, but mortgage costs will rise. So the net effect is the same. I.e. It's a zero sum game!

IR.jpg

There's no where to hide when you print the money!

Why aren't we all rich when we can borrow money at 300 year record low rates?

Ask yourself what SMART objectives you have to mitigate these costs? He,he taking tinfoil hat-ness to the next level.

Let the old ******* freeze. Hopefully a hot summer will shift a few as well. Housing and wealth do nobody any good while there are codgers squatting on their hoards like wizened old dragons.

We could have cheap power if we wanted.. but most Brits actually support rising energy costs, to achieve their green sustainable dream. They never thought it would be themselves who couldn't afford to use the more expensive energy. They all thought it would be poor people forced to cut back.

Its hard to feel sorry for the people who got here by their own greed and ignorance. The healthy, strong, smart people will be fine.. heck I could last fine with no heat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13394095

Rising fuel bills may force a quarter of homes to turn off their heating at some point next winter, a price comparison site claims.

Uswitch says that last winter, an estimated 20% of people it surveyed had regularly turned off their heating.

And it predicts that with fuel tariffs expected to rise, the number will be higher this year.

The Bank of England said this week that gas prices could rise by 15% later this year, and electricity by 10%.

I wonder how many turned it off because of costs and how many turned it off because no one was in the building.

Possibly they turned off the heat to support David Cameron's drive to hit our carbon targets. When we get to a 50% reduction in carbon output, then we can work to reduce that new level by 50%.

We could have cheap power if we wanted.. but most Brits actually support rising energy costs, to achieve their green sustainable dream. They never thought it would be themselves who couldn't afford to use the more expensive energy. They all thought it would be poor people forced to cut back.

Its hard to feel sorry for the people who got here by their own greed and ignorance. The healthy, strong, smart people will be fine.. heck I could last fine with no heat.

never a truer word spoken.

Raising taxes essentials doesnt make the poor more careful....It makes them dead.

Lol people will start putting up partitions in their open plan houses to help keep Tue heat in each room. Hahahaha.

I said this to my other half time and again over the past decade while watching the likes of Property Ladder: "All well and good in the summer, but what about in the winter when it gets cold and you need to heat the place? It's going to cost a fortune!"

The "developers" and EAs constantly referred to rooms as "spaces"; they constantly knocked down walls in favour of "open plan living". Personally, I like walls. They keep the heat in, the sound out, and I'm pretty sure there's no one standing behind me while I'm watching TV of an evening or getting jiggy with it with the missus.

The problem with such developments is that the people who created them never had any intention of ever living in them themselves. I know what I'm looking for in a HOME and a sparsely decorated warehouse with HUGE floral printed wallpaper and floor-to-ceiling chrome is not it.

As the next decade or two unravels it won't just be the economic malinvestment that unwinds; it'll be these DIY horror stories too. Good. What on earth were people thinking.

+1

:lol::lol::lol:

Not wanting to dictate to people where they can live but for example you do go to a family area like Eaton its full of grannies. And in Norwich City centre they even have lots of nice flats for the over 50s cheaper than for the young.

Win win :-)

Let the old ******* freeze. Hopefully a hot summer will shift a few as well. Housing and wealth do nobody any good while there are codgers squatting on their hoards like wizened old dragons.

Free market as Shiva, like it.

Edited by Laughing Gnome

As the next decade or two unravels it won't just be the economic malinvestment that unwinds; it'll be these DIY horror stories too. Good. What on earth were people thinking.

I'd argue that it was economic malinvestment, doing fad DIY to improve the property. The "improvements" where done to increase the value of the house, in a high energy cost environment those improvements may now take value off the house. How ironic will that be? Although for all of these TV shows the next logical step will be to show new developers undoing these changes to show how putting walls back etc... and reducing heating bills increases the value of your home....