House Price Crash Forum

Are The Taliban Mentally Sick?

SHERWICK

So because we are currently unable to prove alien life exists on other planets

it is therefore a fact that alien life does not exist.

I will give you 8 out of 100 for logic.

And thats for putting your name on the paper.

Next question.

:P

I think the logic is along the lines that if we exist, given the amount of planets in the universe, it is possible that other life exists - one does not need to invent the idea of alien life.

God (as in the idea of an intelligent creator), as you say, is an invented concept and therefore the default is no God. If logic dictated otherwise then any concept could be invented and deemed valid, simply for being brought into existence.

Of course that leaves the unsolved question of 'what came before the big bang' or however we wish to phrase it.

I can see where you're going with the idea that God has much to recommend it, but to me that translates into the idea that morality has much to recommend it and really God is unnecessary. I'm not sure that somewhere like Saudi Arabia, for example, is much proof of the idea that God-believing people treat each other better than elsewhere.

To me what is most beneficial is the debate and actually I find agreement with many believers and their point of view of the world, even though I may not agree with their beliefs. I'm about to create another thread on a vaguely similar subject.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the logic is along the lines that if we exist, given the amount of planets in the universe, it is possible that other life exists - one does not need to invent the idea of alien life.

God (as in the idea of an intelligent creator), as you say, is an invented concept and therefore the default is no God. If logic dictated otherwise then any concept could be invented and deemed valid, simply for being brought into existence.

Of course that leaves the unsolved question of 'what came before the big bang' or however we wish to phrase it.

I can see where you're going with the idea that God has much to recommend it, but to me that translates into the idea that morality has much to recommend it and really God is unnecessary. I'm not sure that somewhere like Saudi Arabia, for example, is much proof of the idea that God-believing people treat each other better than elsewhere.

To me what is most beneficial is the debate and actually I find agreement with many believers and their point of view of the world, even though I may not agree with their beliefs. I'm about to create another thread on a vaguely similar subject.

My own position is that no one actually knows.

And that it is a much more complex issue than most people appear to appreciate.

:)

I like to toy with the religious by posing the possibility that given the odds of life being elsewhere among the other million planets that our god could have been a visiting alien. Created in his image or in a test tube :D . The earth made in seven days- sounds like terra forming to me :)

on thread though - the taliban are not mental they are just ill educated and brainwashed from birth. The only difference between them and a good catholic/protestant is that they are given a story about virgins waiting for them rather than a virgin giving birth :D

Guest eight

So are you saying that unless you can prove something exists, then it doesn't exist?

:blink:

I think it's a pretty sensible position to adopt. It's not an ideologically driven thing though. If god wants to make himself known to me personally or demonstrate his existence in some other way then sure, I'll "believe".

eight

My own position is that no one actually knows.

And that it is a much more complex issue than most people appear to appreciate.

You're right, no-one knows, but just asking the question of elevates the idea (of an intelligent creator) to a level I don't believe it deserves. The idea of an intelligent creator is just an idea, the same as any other. What may give it validity in our minds is our own ego, so sure that something like us must have created everything.

I personally believe in the idea that God's head got so full of stuff that important stuff began to fall out of the back of his head... then oneday he forgot that he is God.

Rumour has it that he is working in the DHSS in Croydon.

I come from a Judean-Christian upbringing with a background and a deep fascination in science. Over the years, partly through illness, loss and grief, my spiritual side has developed into one of reading about World religions and coming to a greater understanding of the huge gulf that exists between religion and spirituality.

There is much spirituality in all religions, but no religion in spirituality.

I have also seen, heard and witnessed 'things' that my scientific rationale cannot rationalise.

Each of us is on a journey.

I think it's a pretty sensible position to adopt. It's not an ideologically driven thing though. If god wants to make himself known to me personally or demonstrate his existence in some other way then sure, I'll "believe".

eight

You may see it as a sensible position to adopt but it does not hold water as a logical proof.

You could also argue that if you cannot prove that God doesn't exist then it would be far more sensible to believe than not to believe

because if God does exist, you could spend the rest of eternity in Hell fire :o

and if he doesn't exist you have still benefited from spending your life looking forward to going to a really nice place when you die.

How's that for a sales pitch!

:lol:

You may see it as a sensible position to adopt but it does not hold water as a logical proof.

You could also argue that if you cannot prove that God doesn't exist then it would be far more sensible to believe than not to believe

and if he doesn't exist you have still benefited from spending your life looking forward to going to a really nice place when you die.

But maybe that is one of the life lessons for each and everyone of us - to progress beyond religious dogma and the fears of others to move Humankind forward?

Hmm... allow me to rephrase this for you:

"If I had to endure Muslims killing my fellow Brits, and their send their Jihadis exploding missiles that you cannot hear or see killing innocents, I reckon I'd get mentally sick, grab a gun and start shooting back.

The Muslims have become the thugs of the World.......for now."

And for good measure, you can actually swap the 'Brits' for 'Muslims' because Jihadis mainly kill other Muslims.

The problem the Taliban have is that they have a society system that results in 2/3rds of all males being surplus to requirements. Their life is not worth anything in that society, which has managed to enslave almost everyone bar a few old men who breed their own families for profit like other people would breed farm animals. So, a man has to 'beat' 2 other guys to procreate... that requirement sure is going to select 'winners' indeed.

And that is why people get so angry when their children want to leave this system -- because in essence their kids end up 'thieving' their pension from them, there are often considerable tax-free lump sums involved.

Always follow the money, and no the Taliban are not mentally sick but entirely rational in economical terms within the crazy system in which rules they are entrapped in. Even if they wanted to, the generation that breaks the vicious circle (if it can be done) will be paying dearly for it. A bit like with our society, where currently the new generation coming up is getting fleeced by their elders and stiffed by their children as no-one will be able to keep to the old generational contract, even since the women stopped doing the donkey's work to honour it.

Interesting. Do you have any link to flesh it out?

Good to see evidence of thought in a star trek thread.

You're right, no-one knows, but just asking the question of elevates the idea (of an intelligent creator) to a level I don't believe it deserves. The idea of an intelligent creator is just an idea, the same as any other. What may give it validity in our minds is our own ego, so sure that something like us must have created everything.

Isaac Newton was looking for God

Albert Einstein was looking for God

And the search for meaning in life is probably the biggest question facing any human being.

Is death the end? or does consciousness once created survive beyond the existence of the physical boby that created or contained it?

And if it does, where does it 'go' does it rejoin a greater consciousness?

We create radio sets and beam signals out into space and these signals will exist long after the radio set that created them was destroyed.

We also know that other dimensions exist at a quantum level and that our consciousness must operate in these other dimensions.

If anything I actually think that science has shown us that literally anything is possible.

:blink:

I used to be an atheist and could see me writing similar posts to most in here but now I'm a buddhist yet I can't remember how I arrived at this point and wonder if I will go back to being an atheist one day.

We are all on the same journey and we are all looking for the same answers to the same questions.

It's just some of us haven't realised it yet.

IMHO

Guest eight

I'll take my chances, thanks.

eight

We are all on the same journey and we are all looking for the same answers to the same questions.

It's just some of us haven't realised it yet.

IMHO

Think my journey started when reading Ken Wilber and the like. I'm certainly happier now than I was even if I'm an illogical fool :)

Guest eight

Just to go one step further -

Are you absolutely certain that there isn't a tyrannosaurus rex outside your front door right now?

Do you keep a loaded gun by the front door, just in case?

Because if there is a tyrannosaurus rex there, you could get eaten alive.

If we tried to live our lives to cater for all remote possibilities, we wouldn't get much done.

I think the probability of god existing is about on a par with a tyrannosaurus rex lurking outside the front door. Like I said, I'll take my chances.

eight

BTW I don't blame them sometimes as the world as we see it is filled with injustices and it is pretty bleak. The sense of a deity type thing introduces a sense of justice into their belief systems.

I've said it a few times myself, I sometimes which there was a god of some kind so that all the nasty people of the world get their comeuppance..... unfortunately there isn't.

Yes, but religion as such didn't start with 'justice' - it surely started with trying to pacify the apparently powerful beings who were sending drought, plagues, earthquakes, etc.

IMO it must all have kicked off with rainbows. Imagine people maybe 100,000 years ago or more, trying to explain a spectacular rainbow after a furious storm. What other answer could there have been?

Big powerful being in sky was very angry, now he happy again, phew.

If we tried to live our lives to cater for all remote possibilities, we wouldn't get much done.

If everyone knew that when they died then that was it do you think that they would spend their few years on earth toiling to pay for a mortgage, growing food for pennies or flipping burgers to pay government taxes?

If there were no hell invented to cause fear and drive people to belief then would they even bother?

Religion is evil and while they may be mostly harmless I find it difficult to trust anyone that is really religious.

Yes, but religion as such didn't start with 'justice' - it surely started with trying to pacify the apparently powerful beings who were sending drought, plagues, earthquakes, etc.

IMO it must all have kicked off with rainbows. Imagine people maybe 100,000 years ago or more, trying to explain a spectacular rainbow after a furious storm. What other answer could there have been?

Big powerful being in sky was very angry, now he happy again, phew.

Personally I think a belief in 'God' probably started when humans became self aware and realised that one day we all die.

I would leave people alone if they would leave me alone

Surely that is the problem.

And if humans were much happier without God - why has every human society that every exsisted invented one?

This is a question that is worth thinking about IMO

OK Fair point.

(There still is no god though.......:) )

Personally I think a belief in 'God' probably started when humans became self aware and realised that one day we all die.

Yes, and tried to understand existence around them, much in the same way that through Science we now try to understand the Cosmos, DNA, why people enjoy reality TV and hand-cooked crisps.

I was reading a very interesting article in one of the weekly science mags a few days ago, where someone pointed out that the difference between Man and chimps is that we are using Quantum Theory to try and figure out the Universe but that the chimps aren't even aware that QT exists.

(If they are then they are keeping pretty quiet about it)

If everyone knew that when they died then that was it do you think that they would spend their few years on earth toiling to pay for a mortgage, growing food for pennies or flipping burgers to pay government taxes?

If there were no hell invented to cause fear and drive people to belief then would they even bother?

Religion is evil and while they may be mostly harmless I find it difficult to trust anyone that is really religious.

Well all the people here who don't believe in a God toil away like everyone else.

We toil away because we have to survive I suppose.

And some people believe that this life is actually Hell which I suppose is close to Buddism as they believe that we are condemned to be reborn over and over until we live a perfect life.

Archived