House Price Crash Forum
Meat Puppet

Who's Suffering And Who Isn't

A couple of interesting press releases out of the DWP today.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/newsroom/press-releases/2011/may-2011/dwp047-11.shtml

The first is about the Households Below Average Income figures which states that working age poverty is about the highest it has ever been.

The second is about pensioner's income where you can see that after inflation they are 47% better off than 11 years ago. Nice divergence there and probably politically sustainable for a while too.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dwp048-11.pdf

A couple of interesting press releases out of the DWP today.

http://www.dwp.gov.u...dwp047-11.shtml

The first is about the Households Below Average Income figures which states that working age poverty is about the highest it has ever been.

The second is about pensioner's income where you can see that after inflation they are 47% better off than 11 years ago. Nice divergence there and probably politically sustainable for a while too.

http://www.dwp.gov.u...s/dwp048-11.pdf

comeon - how else are the old folks supposed to fill their 3 spare bedrooms with decorative tat from the back of the radio times?

I'm suffering, i think those in the BS business would call me 'under-employed'.

i got advised by my accountant that my earnings were so rubbish for year 10/11 i could apply for working tax credits, i've never had anything off the state in my life but am quite tempted seeing how much tax i've paid over the years and just how quiet it is out there at the moment.

i am a self employed cabinet maker and have been following this site almost from its inception, for years i have been extolling the virtues of 'siting tight' with regards to buying a house and explained why but none of my circle would listen they just think i'm miserable.

i have a home but it still hasn't stopped me wishing and praying for a crash now that one is underway i'm aware of the saying be careful what you wish for for it might come true.

cheers

There's a another cabinet maker on here - he said business is booming. Was it Yogibear? Perhaps he could step forward and PM you.

---

The onlt thing I can add to this thread;

The only constant, is change.

I'm suffering, i think those in the BS business would call me 'under-employed'.

i got advised by my accountant that my earnings were so rubbish for year 10/11 i could apply for working tax credits, i've never had anything off the state in my life but am quite tempted seeing how much tax i've paid over the years and just how quiet it is out there at the moment.

i am a self employed cabinet maker and have been following this site almost from its inception, for years i have been extolling the virtues of 'siting tight' with regards to buying a house and explained why but none of my circle would listen they just think i'm miserable.

i have a home but it still hasn't stopped me wishing and praying for a crash now that one is underway i'm aware of the saying be careful what you wish for for it might come true.

cheers

are you bespoke, do you have a website, portfolio, whatever etc, we may or may not have an interest and be looking for something etc from a craftsman

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

and have been following this site almost from its inception, for years i have been extolling the virtues of 'siting tight' with regards to buying a house and explained why but none of my circle would listen they just think i'm miserable.

Hello and welcome, everyone in my social circle thinks I'm Mrs Doom. They don't listen either. I don't talk about it anymore to be honest, I just eat my popcorn quietly.

Edited this thing twice coz I 'aint got me glasses on.

Edited by eightiesgirly

Hello and welcome, everyone in my social circle thinks I'm Mrs Doom. They don't listen either. I don't talk about it anymore to be honest, I just eat my popcorn quietly.

Edited this thing twice coz I 'aint got me glasses on.

Had an awesome house price whinge the other night. I was getting my the views of my mate - actually, my new best friend - who is in the building industry, when he just says to me and says "but the main thing that pushed house prices up so high was the banks lending too much money".

I could have cried, it was a beautiful moment.

Had an awesome house price whinge the other night. I was getting my the views of my mate - actually, my new best friend - who is in the building industry, when he just says to me and says "but the main thing that pushed house prices up so high was the banks lending too much money".

I could have cried, it was a beautiful moment.

Odd isn't it how some are beginning to catch on and others are either blissfully unaware or couldn't give a rats? I think some always knew, but didn't say anything as they didn't want to go contraflow, so to speak.

I wonder where the blame will go in the end? There is going to be a lot of denial from all quarters methinks.

I wonder where the blame will go in the end? There is going to be a lot of denial from all quarters methinks.

God knows. Muslims have been done to death, so maybe Eskimos will take the blame this time.

The one constant area of suffering I see is with self-employed construction workers who got divorced when the downturn came. Genuinely screwed - bloated earnings (£50k for a bog standard carpenter) led to a bloated mortgage, the wife fecked off at the first sign of trouble (maybe not the first!), during the lay-off he was only entitled to JSA. Mortgage arrears went into 5 figures, unless he got lucky with SMI on an IO mortgage. Plus he really has no prospect of earning the same in future - 2/3 at most - and even then the wife is taking a huge slice to top up her state benefits and credits.

When I talk to these guys they're straightforward, funny, not whingers. And they actually do something useful. But they're treated like scum.

Hi, i've just read the replies and thanks for some of the comments, yes business is booming for some in my industry if you don't mind taking a 50% cut in earnings and thats only from in my experience very modest earnings (£25 - 35K) if i had a pound for everytime i've heard "you're in construction are ya - you must be coining it" i'd never need work again.

Suffice to say i started work in the family business as did my brothers who are all chippies (fine furniture, boat building, house building etc) but one by one we have all but turned our backs on the industry, my eldest brother did a degree at night school and became a QS and my elder brother now manages a joinery firm and well me, the last few years i sold my soul to the local council in return for regular work as part of their maintenance team.

I did have a spell running a concern with my elder brother in london but the margins were ridiculous and that was in the good times (2004) My father used to shout at the telly in the eighties about how manufacturing was on its knees, i never really understood his anger then fast forward 25 years and i have got the message loud and clear.

Manufacturing my friends is dead in this country never to return, the good thing from all of this is my home is fairly secure with little mortgage but i have little stomach at the age of 36 to get back into my industry should it pick up anytime soon put simply you can earn more pushing paper round a desk as most of friends prove.

cheers

Er... sorry to pick up a small point in your post. Manufacturing is going to come roaring back in this country when de-globalisation hits. We will actually have old-fashioned jobs again. It's just that most of us will be well past our prime by the time it happens.

Er... sorry to pick up a small point in your post. Manufacturing is going to come roaring back in this country when de-globalisation hits. We will actually have old-fashioned jobs again. It's just that most of us will be well past our prime by the time it happens.

i'll be dead by then, mcdonalds here i come!

Er, over borrowing. Possibly liar loan. Is that not scummish behaviour?

Maybe, but these guys are taking the brunt whereas others get carried along by the state. Very few public sector workers have been repo'd, but claims against construction workers have hit the courts like a tidal wave.

Hi, i've just read the replies and thanks for some of the comments, yes business is booming for some in my industry if you don't mind taking a 50% cut in earnings and thats only from in my experience very modest earnings (£25 - 35K) if i had a pound for everytime i've heard "you're in construction are ya - you must be coining it" i'd never need work again.

Suffice to say i started work in the family business as did my brothers who are all chippies (fine furniture, boat building, house building etc) but one by one we have all but turned our backs on the industry, my eldest brother did a degree at night school and became a QS and my elder brother now manages a joinery firm and well me, the last few years i sold my soul to the local council in return for regular work as part of their maintenance team.

I did have a spell running a concern with my elder brother in london but the margins were ridiculous and that was in the good times (2004) My father used to shout at the telly in the eighties about how manufacturing was on its knees, i never really understood his anger then fast forward 25 years and i have got the message loud and clear.

Manufacturing my friends is dead in this country never to return, the good thing from all of this is my home is fairly secure with little mortgage but i have little stomach at the age of 36 to get back into my industry should it pick up anytime soon put simply you can earn more pushing paper round a desk as most of friends prove.

cheers

You should MEW to the hilt, treat yourself to a gallardo and then go on benefits. Its the only rational course of action.

You should MEW to the hilt, treat yourself to a gallardo and then go on benefits. Its the only rational course of action.

I have some in my circle who did that, not with quite so prestigious a marque but you know the sort of stuff (we've all read and admittedly laughed at on here), powerboat and 4x4 that sort of thing . i remember taking a mate of mine aside to tell him that what he'd done was effectively cutting his own legs off by pushing the mortgage further into the future for the sake of toys and again he as the rest of them just look at me like i'm the ***** i just don't get it.

it was 2006 i was at my local dinghy park setting up to go sailing with my brother and we were both staggered at the amount of shiny brand new 4x4's that were everywhere and the interesting point was the demographic of the owners, everyone had one - i saw kids as well as old fairly respectable types getting out of these things.

i knew of one person in my circle that got so desparate when things started getting bad that he hired his 4x4 out for functions whilst he drove his wifes car as that was the only way he could meet the payments.

it seemed like the world had lost its mind and of course we now know it has, all this just passed me by as i had friends telling me i 'needed' to get the latest van and while i was at it i 'needed' to get myself a decent car "have a bit of fun" they said i have to say i smiled and ignored them whilst they all made for the horizon with their mew money the tw*ts.

I had a very bad day in my business yesterday.

My nice cash cow contract that has formed the bulk of my annual income for the last 4 years finally finishes at the end of 2011. The contract I had lined up to compensate, and indeed had to spend £2k of my own money on changing the status of my business, buying insurance and various pointless hoops I had to jump through in order to "win" then got delayed indefinitely whilst the client has the third "restructure" since I've been involved with them. No hint of an apology either for the £2000 their incompetence has cost me (e.g. insisting I buy the insurance before they draft the contract).

I had a very bad day in my business yesterday.

My nice cash cow contract that has formed the bulk of my annual income for the last 4 years finally finishes at the end of 2011. The contract I had lined up to compensate, and indeed had to spend £2k of my own money on changing the status of my business, buying insurance and various pointless hoops I had to jump through in order to "win" then got delayed indefinitely whilst the client has the third "restructure" since I've been involved with them. No hint of an apology either for the £2000 their incompetence has cost me (e.g. insisting I buy the insurance before they draft the contract).

sorry to hear about your woes i know how that feels, i've had similar like taking on extra blokes for jobs that never materialise you get to look a complete **** when you have to let them go - awful business.

It was about a year ago when i was subbing to my local council that we were all called in to be told that everything would be 'under review' i now know thats code for go away but even more interesting was a project my eldest brother was overseeing in london at the time of the election think it was a hospital refurb. He was asked by the client if they could put all the old sanitryware back in the building they had just ripped out and thrown in the skip! LMAO.

Turns out the project went from a budget of £150m to a black hole two months later of nearly as much - whoops!

The stories he's told me about these jobs makes you wonder why we're not in even deeper sh*t than we are, stories of ripping out everything in a ward that was only installed 10 years previously just seems insane to me the best one was an MRI scanner ordered at the start of one of his jobs and because the project took so long to complete it was obsolete to the other equipment that needed to talk to it by the time the dept became functional.

Still, is it not refreshing to see a minister saying things like they are?

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Iain Duncan Smith, said:

"These figures lay bare the growth of income inequality in the UK which is now the highest it has ever been. This gap between the poorest and richest in our society has accelerated over the last five years despite an astonishing £150 billion injected into tax credits alone. The end result has been to make benefit dependency and worklessness inherent to the UK way of life with middle and low income earners picking up the bill.

"This underlines the urgent need for our radical programme for Welfare Reform and especially Universal Credit which will make work pay and end the madness of generations living on benefits with no reason to aspire for more. Any drop in poverty is to be welcomed, but it must be sustainable, and the only way we will achieve that is through work.

What we want to see now is these words being translated into action. Turn us round from the disasterous course we've been on for the last 30 years....