House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Question About Celtic And Rangers Footie Clubs

Which one is the Catholic one, which one is the Protestant one? Is the Catholic one linked with Irish republicanism, ditto for the Protestant one re Ulters and all that stuff?

What about the other Scottish footie clubs - do they have any of this nonsense.

I have lots of Scottish friends and not once have any mentioned anything like this.

Which one is the Catholic one, which one is the Protestant one? Is the Catholic one linked with Irish republicanism, ditto for the Protestant one re Ulters and all that stuff?

I have lots of Scottish friends and not once have any mentioned anything like this.

Best leave the main answer to your questions to a true Jock.. Anyway Celtic (Catholic) and Rangers (Protestant)... I was in Glasgow yesterday and did speak to a chap from Aberdeen and he said all this sectarian shit is pretty much exclusive to the above mentioned Glasgow clubs.

Thanks - so both clubs are in Glasgow? Is Glasgow thus divided in the same way NI towns like Belfast were, and are, along ethnic lines.

People only living in certain areas dependent upon their religion, shopping and going out in certain areas?

Thanks - so both clubs are in Glasgow? Is Glasgow thus divided in the same way NI towns like Belfast were, and are, along ethnic lines.

People only living in certain areas dependent upon their religion, shopping and going out in certain areas?

The whole of the Southwest of Scotland is like an outpost of N.I., in that there are Orange Walks, segregated schooling and a hatred of the Tims for the Micks and vice versa. How could you not know?:ph34r:

Thanks.

They absolutely hate each other. I set up a branch of my buisness in Glasgow (right next to Rangers Ibrox ground).. I was talking to one of the girls that we took on last year and she said she was convinced that she was being turned down from previous jobs because her name made it obvious that she was catholic. She even said she was considering using her mothers maiden name. :huh:

Actually, it would be good to get response from other Scottish folks not connected to either Glasgow club. What be the view/opinions of this rivalry.

Maybe we should let them go it alone :D

The whole of the Southwest of Scotland is like an outpost of N.I., in that there are Orange Walks, segregated schooling and a hatred of the Tims for the Micks and vice versa. How could you not know?:ph34r:

Just wondering how it relates to SNP, their vote and any attempts at indpendence. Just wondering whether Scotland could end up like NI.

It is a moot point anyhow - for a 1,000 years England has done whatever it has needed to secure its northern border.

Just wondering how it relates to SNP, their vote and any attempts at indpendence. Just wondering whether Scotland could end up like NI.

It is a moot point anyhow - for a 1,000 years England has done whatever it has needed to secure its northern border.

Extremely unlikely Scotland could end up like N.I. because there is no history of partition, unlike Ireland. When I was a schoolkid, I was attacked physically, once at age 5, because of the [protestant] school uniform I was wearing. It's scary to think that at age 5 I was coming home on a bus across the town from a school 3 miles away from home on my own.

As to the discrimination, it is possible to tell Catholic from protestant by names, schools attended and even accent if you're attuned, and until the bigotry dies out, the discrimination won't.:unsure:

Extremely unlikely Scotland could end up like N.I. because there is no history of partition, unlike Ireland. When I was a schoolkid, I was attacked physically, once at age 5, because of the [protestant] school uniform I was wearing. It's scary to think that at age 5 I was coming home on a bus across the town from a school 3 miles away from home on my own.

Does this explain the bottom spanking fetish?

Yep. Glasgow, West coast, Ayrshire, Lanarkshire and parts of the central belt where the overflow were sent when the old slums in Glasgow were being 'done up'. Just to be replaced with new slums of course.

There are towns in West Lothian where they even pain the kerbs and everything. Although not been there for a while so maybe not these days. I would reckon so though.

All other areas of Scotland may have a little bit of this. However it is very small in comparison. Edinburgh with Hearts and Hibs is an example. But it really is small fish compared.

Basically IMO the sooner Celtic and Rangers cease to exist the better.

I don't know if I can bear it! High heels? :huh:

You don't want to know. Suffice to say, after 18 months my counsellor retired, took up yoga and tai chi and now grows vegetables in his garden.

:blink:

You don't want to know. Suffice to say, after 18 months my counsellor retired, took up yoga and tai chi and now grows vegetables in his garden.

:blink:

Gulp! But what about YOU? :unsure:

What a load of crap.

There are a small minority on either side. The vast majority pay no interest to religion. I know people in the orange lodge and they still socialize with Catholics.

School segregation should stop, the little sectarianism there is stems from there. I grew up throwing eggs at the Catholic school bus, but some of my mates were on it.

I would also quite happily sing the sash despite having married a catholic (in a church of Scotland, it looked nicer for photos).

The ones who cause any trouble are tools who would do.it anyway.

As to the discrimination, it is possible to tell Catholic from protestant by names, schools attended and even accent if you're attuned, and until the bigotry dies out, the discrimination won't.:unsure:

34 years in Glasgow never attuned me to an accent difference.

It might be worth mentioning that a lot of this ultimately has its roots more in race than in religion. There was a big influx of Irish immigrants to central Scotland in the 18th/19th centuries due to (a) problems with famine and so on in Ireland, and (B) a big demand for labourers to build ships, mine coal, make steel, build railways, dig canals and so on. A large proportion of the Catholics in the central belt are descended from these people. I think there was a fair amount of friction when the immigrants first arrived, and it's persisted to this day even though many generations have passed.

Celtic, Hibs and Dundee United are Catholic. Rangers, Hearts, Dundee and Motherwell are Protestant.

There is an element of it, but it is nowhere near as bad as Belfast. The only thing that is segragated apart from football is the schools.

Celtic... Rangers.. violence... You don't need the football to see the violence up here, I'm always on edge incase I get jumped by a gang of scumbags!

Celtic... Rangers.. violence... You don't need the football to see the violence up here, I'm always on edge incase I get jumped by a gang of scumbags!

Someone told me a long time ago that in certain areas of Glasgow you could be asked 'Who do you support, Celtic or Rangers?'. The wrong answer, as it showed your religion, would result in a kicking.

Someone told me a long time ago that in certain areas of Glasgow you could be asked 'Who do you support, Celtic or Rangers?'. The wrong answer, as it showed your religion, would result in a kicking.

It's quite strong in Liverpool too.They have Orange marches Liverpool=Catholic Everton = Protestant.

It's quite strong in Liverpool too.They have Orange marches Liverpool=Catholic Everton = Protestant.