House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Is France And Other Countries Also Facing Energy Price Inflation?

I think someone said on here in the past we produce gas in the summer, sell it to the French, they store it and then sell it us back at a higher price in the winter.

We only have something like 14 days worth of storage in the UK, France is more like 150 days +.

The French are clearly idiots.

I think someone said on here in the past we produce gas in the summer, sell it to the French, they store it and then sell it us back at a higher price in the winter.

We only have something like 14 days worth of storage in the UK, France is more like 150 days +.

I just wonder how much more money is going to be fleeced for the privilege of living here and my having the sheer cheek to demand luxuries like bread and heating.

On top of what others have said here.

Our utilities are predominantly owned by the French and Germans and they have a properly regulated market whereby they can only increase prices so much. Of course all that means is the costs are put up in markets where the rules are less stringent.

I.e. if wholesale prices go up 10% in France on leccy then they'll prices will rise 5% there say and 15% in the UK.

No.

UK gas is pumped to Holland/German/flatland euro storage tanks at cheap summer prices!

Mugs in the UK then have to pay full, top whack, winter Russian energy prices to top up Gas supplies.

Definate conspiracy going on between certain UK Govt circles and Russian energy barons who are welcomed over here - TAX FREE

I'm afraid it's another myth about our energy prices,a bit like the constant 'we have the most expensive petrol in Europe' drivel.

Checkout the Netherlands (€1.722 a litre unleaded) and household gas in France ( 6.2 cents a kwh compared to 4.36 cents in the UK) in the following:

http://www.energy.eu/

Portugal - 6.12 cents per kwh, no wonder they put on coats rather than heating in the winter, paying that much on the average Portuguese wage.

Germans apparently pay an average of 24.6 cents per kwh of electricity, UK - 14.5 cents! (It's based on a few assumptions, 3500 kwh per year, 30% at night), and the prices are from January 2011.

We DO have the most expensive diesel though, apart from Norway, who aren't in the EU (13.48 krone, over £1.50 per litre, according to the AA)

:lol: don't you just hate it when facts get in the way of a good rant.

Or another way of thinking is why are uk householders paying these high prices when we have gas fields - enough to supply all our needs (not foreigners)?

Cheaper energy would make UK production more competitive too!

Exports via the Bacton Zeebrugge interconnector have topped 45MCM so far .... 270 MCM as storage injection and exports to the continent continued apace. ..... On the gas prompt, the market is clearly anticipating the switch to ... The 5 day movement on contracts for Q3 and out to Summer 2012 ranged ...

Guest eight

Portugal - 6.12 cents per kwh, no wonder they put on coats rather than heating in the winter, paying that much on the average Portuguese wage.

Yeah, that and the fact it's still 50 degrees outside.

eight

I'm afraid it's another myth about our energy prices,a bit like the constant 'we have the most expensive petrol in Europe' drivel.

Checkout the Netherlands (€1.722 a litre unleaded) and household gas in France ( 6.2 cents a kwh compared to 4.36 cents in the UK) in the following:

Quite.

We've had the Blair Feelgood decade, with everything (like, the regulator, and campaigns of outrage in the press) oriented to low consumer prices, and b***** all investment. Meanwhile our more forward-thinking peers have invested in having capacity for the future.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file11250.pdf

Page 13. Road Frieght energy use per tonne-KM lifted has increased despite other forms of energy usage falling but what does road freight use...

Diesel

Question is why?

Surely modern trucks are more energy efficient just like cars have become despite the added weight from safety features like roll cages, airbags et al, yet trucks havent had many additions other than the bars that hang down under the trailers to prevent vehicles getting under the trailer?

Congestion? A lorry stuck in traffic is a huge inefficiency, and private motoring has trended ever cheaper (despite the occasional blip like 1973). If petrol and diesel were £10/litre and rising year by year our distribution might start to work better again as the selfish majority cut down on waste.

There could also be an influence from a rise in the inefficient following political pressure to penalise efficiency in 2001.