House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wonderpup

Is It Ok To Defraud The State?

I understand why David Laws stole 40,000 pounds in false expense claims in rent to his gay partner- he was trying to keep his sexual orientation a private matter.

I also understand why a single mum living on benefits might take a temp job in a shop in december to fund her kids Christmas, thus stealing money from the state by not declaring the income.

What I don't understand is why the first case is dealt with as a minor technicality and the second treated as a criminal offence.

It seems, perversely, that it's ok to steal money from the state-as long as you don't need the money.

Most people who knowingly stole 40,000 pounds from the state would end up in jail for fraud- David Laws will soon be back in the goverement- as one of this countries law makers.

So the lesson is that you can steal with impunity if you are rich enough and well connected enough- but if you are poor and need the money the full weight of 'justice' will be brought to bear against you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13371746

I understand why David Laws stole 40,000 pounds in false expense claims in rent to his gay partner- he was trying to keep his sexual orientation a private matter.

I also understand why a single mum living on benefits might take a temp job in a shop in december to fund her kids Christmas, thus stealing money from the state by not declaring the income.

What I don't understand is why the first case is dealt with as a minor technicality and the second treated as a criminal offence.

It seems, perversely, that it's ok to steal money from the state-as long as you don't need the money.

Most people who knowingly stole 40,000 pounds from the state would end up in jail for fraud- David Laws will soon be back in the goverement- as one of this countries law makers.

So the lesson is that you can steal with impunity if you are rich enough and well connected enough- but if you are poor and need the money the full weight of 'justice' will be brought to bear against you.

Well yeah, that's why statism, regulation and using force to solve social problems doesn't work.

Well yeah, that's why statism, regulation and using force to solve social problems doesn't work.

It doesn't work perfectly, not by any stretch of the imagination, but you often seem to simply assume that not having them would work better and wouldn't be even worse (and ignore the contradiction that you need all of those to stop statism, regulation, and the use of force from reappearing).

It does if you're the one holding the gun though, ;)

Paddy Pantsdown has just said the 7 day suspension is too harsh!

Laws didn't inflate his rent, lie about which was his main home and take the £40k for personal gain it was only to protect his privacy. Jacqui Smith made a personal gain but wasn't suspended she only had to apologise.

Laws is thought to be a millionaire. Don't think he is though. Also there is a rumour his Yeovil constituency home is up for sale.

Cam & Clegg wanted him back not least for the rumour that Huhne may be forced to resign on accusations that he passed or attempted to pass his licence points off to his former wife and political aids.

The Lib/Dems are becoming a political liabilty.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Laws is thought to be a millionaire. Don't think he is though. Also there is a rumour his Yeovil constituency home is up for sale.

Cam & Clegg wanted him back not least for the rumour that Huhne may be forced to resign on accusations that he passed or attempted to pass his licence points off to his former wife and political aids.

The Lib/Dems are becoming a political liabilty.

The Lib/Dems are a political liability to everyone including themselves.

As for Fraud, isnt that obtaining money by deception? The issue is clear, did the MP in question deceive when making his claims?

If so, put him before a jury just to make sure they agree.

Werent Brown and Cameron also caught making dubious claims?

Whilst I am impressed that the legal system has banged up those it has had a chance to deal with, I cant help but think that it hasnt had the chance to deal with all those that it should.

Laws is a thief, his colleagues imply by not condemning his action that thievery from the taxpayer is ok.

Remember when he stood down all the comments about how the Coalition was losing a valued and talented member?

Excuse me but the man is a fecking thief he had just ripped off £40,000 off from the taxpayer.

Those that do not condemn the action primarily Clegg (maybe out of some misplaced loyalty), Cameron and Milliband are complicit by implication.

None of the feckers are worth spitting on............

I agree with your main point.

However, the real reason he made 40,000 of false claims is because he loves money. Just loves it. He can't get enough.

Perhaps this is why a (by all accounts) very clever man should choose the career of investment banking over other less financially rewarding but more intellectually stimulating careers ?

In terms of his homosexuality, claiming aroused (many) more suspicions than if he'd made no claim.

There are not many 40-odd year old millionaires renting a room from another man - so publicising it on your expense form seems an odd decision.

It is, without doubt, merely a pathetic excuse. Seems to have worked, though.

He's no better than David Chator and those other characters who went to jail. 40 grand theft - which is what it is - is still theft. Money by deception.

It's just a joke how these people get to look after their own. This pathetic excuse would have cut no ice in a magistrate's court but in Parliament, just because he's one of the very few Liberals with a modicum of functioning brain cells, he gets away with it.

Paddy Pantsdown should be ashamed of himself.

I guess it's time to dust off the old Jeremy Thorpe jokes - Join the Liberals, Feel a Man - and all that. Bent the bloody lot of them (in more ways than one).

Why send David Laws to a penal colony where he would have a bummer of a time rubbing up "Mr. Big" the wrong way? Do you think he'd find dealing with hardened criminals hard to swallow? That's be a holiday camp for him, not a punishment!

Yeah, he's gay so he must fkin love it. You are "THEBIGMAN" in title only......well done you!

I agree with your main point.

However, the real reason he made 40,000 of false claims is because he loves money. Just loves it. He can't get enough.

Perhaps this is why a (by all accounts) very clever man should choose the career of investment banking over other less financially rewarding but more intellectually stimulating careers ?

In terms of his homosexuality, claiming aroused (many) more suspicions than if he'd made no claim.

There are not many 40-odd year old millionaires renting a room from another man - so publicising it on your expense form seems an odd decision.

It is, without doubt, merely a pathetic excuse. Seems to have worked, though.

I think you have it right- because surely if privacy was such a concern the solution would have been not to claim and just take the financial hit- in reality there was, after all, no rent to pay.

So, somehow, a guy who knowingly defrauds the state is being recast as a tragic figure, a victim of a cruel fate that prevents him fulfilling his destiny as a member of our government- and the media seem quite happy to propagate this version of events.

Corruption has been normalised, it seems.

I don't understand in the slightest. His domestic arrangements are only of public interest precisely because he defrauded the taxpayer. Had he not claimed back rent he wasn't paying, the general public would not have given a tuppenny toot whom he was living with.

The Big Man - Are you a 13 year old boy who's just heard jail / poof jokes for the first time or are just as thick as pigshit?

Edited by Radge

I don't understand in the slightest. His domestic arrangements are only of public interest precisely because he defrauded the taxpayer. Had he not claimed back rent he wasn't paying, the general public would not have given a tuppenny toot whom he was living with.

You're right- I was just parroting the media line without thinking- at least I'm in good company since it seems that only people on HPC have given this a moments thought, while the steely eyed hacks of fleet street just trot out the party line.

Maybe it's not the web that's killing good journalism- maybe they really are all just sh*t. :D

Why send David Laws to a penal colony where he would have a bummer of a time rubbing up "Mr. Big" the wrong way? Do you think he'd find dealing with hardened criminals hard to swallow? That's be a holiday camp for him, not a punishment!

I don't mind your sort either, as long as they keep their withered hands to themselves.

I just wish a larger section of the public would stand up and say 'this is shit and we're not going to take it anymore'.

I'm getting pretty pissed of with the whole system, nomalised corruption for those at the top, hell they don't even bother to try and hide it any more, but woebetide you if you fancy defrauding the taxpayer if you're not part of the elite. Most people don't seem that bothered.

It stinks. Big style. We're seriously overdue a revolution.

Edited by Fishbone Glover

I think you have it right- because surely if privacy was such a concern the solution would have been not to claim and just take the financial hit- in reality there was, after all, no rent to pay.

So, somehow, a guy who knowingly defrauds the state is being recast as a tragic figure, a victim of a cruel fate that prevents him fulfilling his destiny as a member of our government- and the media seem quite happy to propagate this version of events.

Corruption has been normalised, it seems.

It has.

We're not all in it together.

Cameron and Clegg are as corrupt as the bankers.

Do as you would be done by (Get in first).