House Price Crash Forum

Saab Doomed!?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Fvck Saab, this once rather fine car maker was destroyed by the meddling of GM.

They are now nothing more than fancied up Vauhalls with sub-standard components and murderous after-market prices.

Good riddance.

Yep, I'll second that!

SAAB - truly the triumph of style over substance, and a testament to the expertise of their advertising team.

If you're keen on busted intercoolers, split turbo hoses, cracked springs, and glitchy fuel pumps from a four year old car, then you'll be wanting the SAAB 93 2.2 TiD. That said the vehicle's seats are super-comfortable, and much-appreciated whilst waiting for roadside assistance to arrive!

Buy a post-2004 SAAB and you'll make a new friend too - its engine management light; he'll soon become a constant companion in your life. My 'not-economical to repair' SAAB has just been scrapped for £400 - hooray!!!

Nasty car - contains GM.

Son of Limahl

Now cheer yourself up with more doom and gloom at: http://contactless.wordpress.com

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

from what I understand(and I defer to some of the very knowledgeable petrolheads on here if I'm wrong),ford kept volvo as a stand alone business(i guess with a view to being able to offload if needed).Saab on the other hand had GM parts bunged in them and pretty much destroyed the brand.

This has been going on for some time and reflects the economics of automotive industry. Its not just odd parts its the floorpan, engine transmission and so on.

For example the old Saab 9000 used the same floorpan as the Citroen XM, peugout 605 (of the time) and various other big euro motors.

The diesel engine in my Citroen is actually Ford, and so can be found in variety of cars from Jaguar to Volvo.

So its not surprising that Saab is nothing more than a brand.

Anyway BL used to get away with sticking Vandan Plas, and Wolseley badges on its crap and that worked! unsure.gif

HOLA4410

I bought an old one to use as a 2nd car - no-one seems to want them, possible because of the fuel consumption. If it's because they're bust, you don't get anything from a dealer for car this age anyway. loads of pattern and used parts about.

Saab 9000, 119k miles, 1997, 2.0 Turbo, 5d, leather,climate control, no rust AT ALL (unlike the BMW, Jags and Mercs I looked at) - £550.

My reasearch says the 9000 was based on the Type Four chassis, a platform shared with the Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema and Alfa Romeo 164. Not so sure about the Citroen or Puegeot, I doubt it, unless you mean the post 1992 changes.

I insure it as a 'classic' for under £200 a year. Makes me :) when I drive it. (Sparingly at 20-25 mpg)

Edited by deflation

HOLA4411

I bought an old one to use as a 2nd car - no-one seems to want them, possible because of the fuel consumption. If it's because they're bust, you don't get anything from a dealer for car this age anyway. loads of pattern and used parts about.

Saab 9000, 119k miles, 1997, 2.0 Turbo, 5d, leather,climate control, no rust AT ALL (unlike the BMW, Jags and Mercs I looked at) - £550.

My reasearch says the 9000 was based on the Type Four chassis, a platform shared with the Fiat Croma, Lancia Thema and Alfa Romeo 164. Not so sure about the Citroen or Puegeot, I doubt it, unless you mean the post 1992 changes.

I insure it as a 'classic' for under £200 a year. Makes me :) when I drive it. (Sparingly at 20-25 mpg)

Yes the Type Four floorpan:

My source was

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/psa/xm/xm-12.html

However I note the Wikipedia entry for the Type Four flourpan seems to the contradict this. Suggesting the 605 was based on the XM floorpan, and only resembled the others in terms of styling traits.

HOLA4412

Sounds like mine until it became to expensive to maintain.....fantastic car to drive especially for a long distance. Now driving a Saab 95, which is pretty much an updated 9000 in many aspects. No problems what so ever, but as with all Saabs....regular services (=oil!) are crucial to keep the engine intact.

I for one would find it incredibly sad to see the brand disappear. Feels and drives like German brands without the price-tag (especially if you buy it 2nd hand)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

How do you insure a car from 1997 as a classic? Doesn't seem to fit the criteria.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Perhaps the Phoenix four could help?

Rover & Saab look very similar.

Too small to develop new models, living off past glories whilst selling re-badged products other mass market manufacturers at prestige prices.

The difference is that Saab doesn't have a staggeringly incompetent minister(Steven Byers) at their DTI, happy to waste £50m of taxpayers money and destroy the company in the long term in return for shoring up a few votes at a pending election.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I would also love to know this, as I still have a 9000 of the same vintage and all insurance quotes are multiples of £200!

Depends on the make of car. I have a relative who works at Footman James and they will cover Saabs at 15 years old, so I can insure it as a 'classic' in Jan 2012. At the moment, it's been added to my current policy. Rough guess is under £200 for 1500 miles p.a.

There is no real definition of a classic, it depends on the underwriters. You nearly always have to restrict the mileage (1500 / 3000 is plenty for a weekend car). I would need a garage for a BMW, Jags you can have on a 'classic' policy at 10 y.o. Fords and Vauxhalls at 20 y.o. and so on. You have to ask around basically.

'Classic' policies do not attract or gain NCB so you use it on your other car.

Edit: It was registered in Dec 1996 ('97 model)

Edited by deflation

HOLA4419

Depends on the make of car. I have a relative who works at Footman James and they will cover Saabs at 15 years old, so I can insure it as a 'classic' in Jan 2012. At the moment, it's been added to my current policy. Rough guess is under £200 for 1500 miles p.a.

There is no real definition of a classic, it depends on the underwriters. You nearly always have to restrict the mileage (1500 / 3000 is plenty for a weekend car). I would need a garage for a BMW, Jags you can have on a 'classic' policy at 10 y.o. Fords and Vauxhalls at 20 y.o. and so on. You have to ask around basically.

'Classic' policies do not attract or gain NCB so you use it on your other car.

Thank you for that, I shall look around some more.

HOLA4420

Some companies will insist on joining an owner's club of sorts,and the downdside of classic policies is that they will not refund any money 'pro rata'if you change your car. The 12 month premium is usually gone once you take out the cover.

HOLA4421

A bit of Googling found this: "Saab lost 3bn kronor (£255m) in 2008, and has not made a profit since 2001."

I'm not sure high cost Sweden is really a good place to build anything price sensitive, though Polly Toynbee never seems to touch on this issue when she parades the country as an example of successful Social Democracy.

The original Ursaab is though a stunningly beautiful piece of engineering.

Ursaab

HOLA4422

A bit of Googling found this: "Saab lost 3bn kronor (£255m) in 2008, and has not made a profit since 2001."

I'm not sure high cost Sweden is really a good place to build anything price sensitive, though Polly Toynbee never seems to touch on this issue when she parades the country as an example of successful Social Democracy.

The original Ursaab is though a stunningly beautiful piece of engineering.

Ursaab

you say beautiful, I say bug ugly

The Citroen DS, that was a beautiful piece of engineering

Citroen DS