House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Exclusive: The Great University Clearance Sale

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/exclusive-the-great-university-clearance-sale-2282713.html

Next year's university applications could be thrown into chaos after the minister in charge suggested students could get a cut-price degree at the last minute.

The Universities minister, David Willetts, said in an interview with The Independent that universities would be allowed to slash fees or offer other incentives only weeks before lectures begin, to fill courses during the clearing process.

It raises the prospect of students holding off from accepting places and a mad scramble for the cheapest courses, as universities lower fees to attract students.

I was expecting pay your year 1 and 2 year fees get the 3rd free type deals, looks like that is what will happen but only on the courses that aren't popular and at the Universities no one wants to attend.

Although will this be enough to save the likes of Leeds Met?

So you could get people in a lecture theatre who are paying £7000 and others who only paid £3000.

Surely that would create major resentment amongst students? This is starting to sound like Budget Airlines !!!

So you could get people in a lecture theatre who are paying £7000 and others who only paid £3000.

or nothing at all if their parents live in Scotland

Surely that would create major resentment amongst students? This is starting to sound like Budget Airlines !!!

...I'm sure the foreign students won't mind paying more. ;)

Erm how does that tie in with the narrative about the increase in tuition fees being down to increased course costs?

Do the lecturers reduce their pay when no one signs up on the same scale? ;p

http://www.independe...le-2282713.html

I was expecting pay your year 1 and 2 year fees get the 3rd free type deals, looks like that is what will happen but only on the courses that aren't popular and at the Universities no one wants to attend.

:o

What a farce!

Erm how does that tie in with the narrative about the increase in tuition fees being down to increased course costs?

Do the lecturers reduce their pay when no one signs up on the same scale? ;p

What is stopping a private entity for quality training teaching the skills of the future, linked to well known reputable employers in the area to provide the employees with the skills they are short of...say fees £3000 per year three days study two days work experience...with a high chance of a job at the end of it. ;)

Sounds like Money Supermarket need to get a degree search page written

I think you will see a lot of universities and colleges within common geographical regions buying each other out and creating super-sized Uni's.

There is just not enough money in it for what is a ridiculous number of 'universities' in Britain, which tops 300 in number, and who knows how many colleges.

That is what I would call a very feasible rumour, from the horses mouth (a Dr I will not name).

Edited by cashinmattress

I think you will see a lot of universities and colleges within common geographical regions buying each other out and creating super-sized Uni's.

There is just not enough money in it for what is a ridiculous number of 'universities' in Britain, which tops 300 in number, and who knows how many colleges.

That is what I would call a very feasible rumour, from the horses mouth (a Dr I will not name).

Excellent and the bankers can all take their cut merging the businesses and giving advice......

David Willetts is a knob. He seems to be one of those people who got an undeserved reputation for being clever - hence "two brains". Actually he is a dullard and not as funny as Peter Sellers in"BeingThere". I am sure he has never done anything as useful as gardening.

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1305231555' post='2985711]

David Willetts is a knob. He seems to be one of those people who got an undeserved reputation for being clever - hence "two brains". Actually he is a dullard and not as funny as Peter Sellers in"BeingThere". I am sure he has never done anything as useful as gardening.

It's far worse. You should read his book called "The Pinch"

http://www.independe...le-2282713.html

It's all going to plan though, undersubscribed courses and unpopular universities will have to close unless they're really cheap. The government couldn't face the prospect of having bureaucrats determine which courses stay or go, so they got students to choose instead. 5 years from now I'd expect much fewer people going to University and those that do will only choose courses that are likely to lead to improved employment prospects unless the course is really cheap.

I think this is a good idea, University is a very expensive way to prepare the next generation of workers and should only really be used where it is the most efficient method. I'd like to see the institutions that can't survive as Universities restructure quickly to provide more appropriate services than 3 year full-time courses.

What is stopping a private entity for quality training teaching the skills of the future, linked to well known reputable employers in the area to provide the employees with the skills they are short of...say fees £3000 per year three days study two days work experience...with a high chance of a job at the end of it. ;)

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4fd0a6bc-07a2-11e0-a568-00144feabdc0.html

A good company, too :)

Are the tuition fees actually paying for the cost of tuition or are they being used to pay for the PFI schemes?

No, Pension liabilites left over from when the boomers had their free uni.