House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Claim That A Successful A I D S Vaccine Has Been Discovered

Daily Wail. Gist: test on monkeys of an experimental HIV vaccine look hopeful and they're about to start human trials.

When the contraceptive pill was introduced in the mid-1960s, cases of venereal diseases skyrocketed because users believed that it removed all the potential health risks involved in sex, not just the risk of pregnancy. Will history will repeat itself if a vaccine and/or cure for HIV is successfully launched? I remember the 'Don't die of ignorance' ads in the late '80s (complete with bouncing gravestones). As a result of that, condoms became the contraceptive of choice for two generations, mainly because they protect against both conception and the transmission of VDs in a single package. If this (or a subsequent research project) turns out to be a real deal and the sheeple regard AIDS as having been cured, are we going to see an explosion in cases of syphillis, gonhorrea, chlamydia etc. etc., especially among homosexuals, as they have no need for contraception and may perceive other VDs as being of lesser consequence than HIV, thereby removing the need to take any precautions? Discuss.

I would answer yes. VD has exploded amongst the boomers and older people. Because they can't get pregnant they don't use any protection.

Heh condoms are actually pretty risky anyway the % rate is wayy too high, and even so this is with perfect usage, which I've witnessed not being used properly. A girlie I played about with put them on inside out, heh.

Doesn't bother me though, I'm pretty much celibate (from being an accountant) and sex boiled down is pretty boring. I get an enormous rush of endorphins (not adrenaline) from being in the sky.

Interesting, I read the article with hope. I thought it was very hopeful for the tens of millions of people with AIDs or HIV in the World.

Let's pray or hope, depending upon your belief system, that it works - and works soon.

Interesting, I read the article with hope. I thought it was very hopeful for the tens of millions of people with AIDs or HIV in the World.

Let's pray or hope, depending upon your belief system, that it works - and works soon.

AIDS cures exist, but it is more profitable to sell the massive cocktail of drugs than to actually cure it therefore they simply keep the cure under lock and key.

Daily Wail. Gist: test on monkeys of an experimental HIV vaccine look hopeful and they're about to start human trials.

When the contraceptive pill was introduced in the mid-1960s, cases of venereal diseases skyrocketed because users believed that it removed all the potential health risks involved in sex, not just the risk of pregnancy. Will history will repeat itself if a vaccine and/or cure for HIV is successfully launched? I remember the 'Don't die of ignorance' ads in the late '80s (complete with bouncing gravestones). As a result of that, condoms became the contraceptive of choice for two generations, mainly because they protect against both conception and the transmission of VDs in a single package. If this (or a subsequent research project) turns out to be a real deal and the sheeple regard AIDS as having been cured, are we going to see an explosion in cases of syphillis, gonhorrea, chlamydia etc. etc., especially among homosexuals, as they have no need for contraception and may perceive other VDs as being of lesser consequence than HIV, thereby removing the need to take any precautions? Discuss.

You'll probably get an uptick in the cases of VD in the deveoped world, but apart from Herpes, I think all VD is curable, so given the massive impact an AIDs vaccine would have in the developing world (where they don't use protection come-what-may) it would probably a net benefit.

You'll probably get an uptick in the cases of VD in the deveoped world, but apart from Herpes, I think all VD is curable, so given the massive impact an AIDs vaccine would have in the developing world (where they don't use protection come-what-may) it would probably a net benefit.

Hep B isn't curable

Heh condoms are actually pretty risky anyway the % rate is wayy too high, and even so this is with perfect usage, which I've witnessed not being used properly. A girlie I played about with put them on inside out, heh.

Was this "girlie" in the Philipines Ken? Described herself as a lady?

I think one of the more senior members of HPC need to sit down with you and discuss the, err, um, ahh, "differences" between little boys and little girls. Will be well worth your time and you will find sex less of a pain in the err, ahhh...

Hep B isn't curable

There is a vaccine though.

Edit - Also Hep B isn't really a problem in the western world.

A cure for aids is so obviously counterproductive. I seriously wonder about the wisdom of spending trillions trying to develop a cure for a disease that is actually so non-contagious you could wipe it out in a generation if you really wanted.

If there really is a vaccine, what do you think will happen?

1. Vaccine out. Millions of people (mostly in 3rd world countries) saved. Shareholders in pharmaceutical industry lose money.

or

2. False alarm. Announcement that a vaccine or cure will be ready "in 10 years".

No, it's a vaccine not a cure so won't do anything for anyone who's already got it.

No, it's a vaccine not a cure so won't do anything for anyone who's already got it.

Yes, that is the bit I am confused about. The article says it is a vaccine, but then says it removes all traces of AIDs from the body.

Yes, that is the bit I am confused about. The article says it is a vaccine, but then says it removes all traces of AIDs from the body.

Probably the Wail not really knowing what it's talking about.

Monkeys are not people.

SIV is not HIV.

To quote Wayne Koff from the Mail article (highlights mine): "This research gives us potential clues as to how we might design an HIV vaccine for humans that would provide the same type of control."

Geez, some of the comments on this thread are so ignorant as to make the Wail read like an editorial in Nature by comparison.

I can understand some of the confusion about ‘is it a vaccine if it controls infection?’

Vaccines basically prime the subjects immune system to destroy an infection. Drugs, OTOH, do the destruction themselves.

Typically, a vaccine will only work prophylactically. That is, it will only work if you aren’t already infected. However, some vaccines can also have a therapeutic effect, ie they can work after infection. Because of the nature of HIV infection, I would say that any successful vaccine is likely to have therapeutic potential.