House Price Crash Forum
onis_uk

I Hate You Hmrc !

it isnt enough that they want 30 odd % of my salary and 20% of everything i buy.... but now i cant even make an investment with the TINY amount i have managed to save up !

the 20 % vat on silver is pretty much pricing me out of an investment !!!!!!!! :angry:

i've seen on other forums where people say, just buy from Germany vat is only 7% !!! well ive been searching for a few hours and i cant seem to find any 1oz sliver coin dealers that deliver to the uk ?!!

im pretty much being forced to buy from Guernsey mint and then smuggle !! lol

To add insult to injury if you check the current prices our mates in the US are paying... 1oz fine majestic etc about £24 !!!!!!!!! thats nearly £6-8 an ounce cheaper than the uk !!!!!!!!!

does anyone have any better ideas for me to get hold of about 100 onces (in coins) at a descent price !?

it isnt enough that they want 30 odd % of my salary and 20% of everything i buy.... but now i cant even make an investment with the TINY amount i have managed to save up !

the 20 % vat on silver is pretty much pricing me out of an investment !!!!!!!! :angry:

i've seen on other forums where people say, just buy from Germany vat is only 7% !!! well ive been searching for a few hours and i cant seem to find any 1oz sliver coin dealers that deliver to the uk ?!!

To add insult to injury if you check the current prices our mates in the US are paying... 1oz fine majestic etc about £24 !!!!!!!!! thats nearly £6-8 an ounce cheaper than the uk !!!!!!!!!

does anyone have any better ideas for me to get hold of about 100 onces (in coins) at a descent price !?

Yes. Wait.

I wouldn't put a huge portion of your savings into silver of any variety, the volatility may catch you out.

If you really want PMs, what's wrong with yellow Brits and sovs? No CGT on selling.

The 7% thing you are thinking about is probably a pick up from CID in Germany, see another thread on this forum.

What about Goldmoney?

Not quite physical in the hand...but the next best thing!

no good i want to hold my investment !!

vat on silver is deffo 7% buy i can find hardly any coin brokers

My link

found these guys but they are quite expensive !

ive spoken to the guernsey mint and they said its like 50/50 if you get charged vat or not....might just take the gamble !

Went all the way through to the videos of melting your own scrap and casting your own ingots. No doubt it is a lot of fun, but looking at the poor results and the fact the maker cannot guarantee purity, I am sure the ingots are going to have less value than the original scrap.

If you are confident that fiat currencies are going to the dogs, then invest for the long term and don't let 20% VAT and volatility bother you. Having said that I would put the majority (80-90%) of my investment in gold bullion, preferably CGT-free sovereigns if you can get them.

Silver is bulky, volatile and not favoured as the monetary metal of choice by central banks. However, huge geared speculative gains may well be had from a modest investment if everything ultimately goes the way things seem to be going (because silver is likely to follow gold up and it's volatility could well drive it a few multiples higher than gold when it does), so a 10-20% allocation in silver could be a very worthwhile as a side bet to gold.

Personally I am, 90% gold and 10% silver, not by weight, but by original purchase cost. Obviously the price ratio has changed a little in the intervening years, so this may be a bit different now, but can't be bothered to work it out now though, got a bottle of wine to drink. :D

no good i want to hold my investment !!

vat on silver is deffo 7% buy i can find hardly any coin brokers

My link

found these guys but they are quite expensive !

ive spoken to the guernsey mint and they said its like 50/50 if you get charged vat or not....might just take the gamble !

Haven't used them myself, but I hear coininvestdirect.com are the the ones to use. A trip to Germany to pick up or arrange a courier. You need to be buying a fair few ounces to make it worth you while I imagine, what with petrol and ferry costs, so imagine insured courier is probably the better bet.

Here's the link: My link

However, you could just pay the VAT. I saw a good documentary on A&E in the NHS tonight, softened me up a bit and made me realise we all have to pay for things us and our loved ones might need one day. Don't worry, I'll be over the sentimentality by tomorrow. ;)

Edited by General Congreve

Went all the way through to the videos of melting your own scrap and casting your own ingots. No doubt it is a lot of fun, but looking at the poor results and the fact the maker cannot guarantee purity, I am sure the ingots are going to have less value than the original scrap.

If you are confident that fiat currencies are going to the dogs, then invest for the long term and don't let 20% VAT and volatility bother you. Having said that I would put the majority (80-90%) of my investment in gold bullion, preferably CGT-free sovereigns if you can get them.

Silver is bulky, volatile and not favoured as the monetary metal of choice by central banks. However, huge geared speculative gains may well be had from a modest investment if everything ultimately goes the way things seem to be going (because silver is likely to follow gold up and it's volatility could well drive it a few multiples higher than gold when it does), so a 10-20% allocation in silver could be a very worthwhile as a side bet to gold.

Personally I am, 90% gold and 10% silver, not by weight, but by original purchase cost. Obviously the price ratio has changed a little in the intervening years, so this may be a bit different now, but can't be bothered to work it out now though, got a bottle of wine to drink. :D

hi gc

that link was really just for interest - i certainly wouldn't advocate melting to anyone

however, i wanted to give it a try.

i collect all sorts of silver: bullion ingots through to scrap - sterling coins would be my fav

btw - hatton are hard to beat if you're selling scrap .925

You will get the VAT back in the sale price if you sell privately on ebay.

Looking into the future.

The price of silver is about to crash. You lump the lot on e bay, and several days later while you wait for the bidding to finish, the value of your 'investment' is down the toilet.

No thanks

Looking into the future.

The price of silver is about to crash. You lump the lot on e bay, and several days later while you wait for the bidding to finish, the value of your 'investment' is down the toilet.

No thanks

are you Dr. Who?

No idea about buying such commodities but I can't see how you can invest in something with 20% VAT compared to stocks and shares which have a tiny bit of stamp duty only.

Looking into the future.

No thanks

Looking into the future.

The price of silver is about to rocket. You lump the lot on e bay, and several days later while you wait for the bidding to finish, the value of your 'investment' is ................................Think positive dude

Buy it and store it at Bullionvault. No VAT due as it isn't delivered.

Looking into the future.

The price of silver is about to rocket. You lump the lot on e bay, and several days later while you wait for the bidding to finish, the value of your 'investment' is ................................Think positive dude

Do you live in cloud cuckoo land? Since when has life been like that.

So do Bullionvault provide this service for nothing or do you have to pay storage and insurance costs.

I wouldn't say rocket, however many factors point towards it going up. Or rather paper money going down the tubes.

I.e. money printing isn't going to stop.

We've hit the 40 year cycle where paper money becomes worthless proven through history.

Chinese inflation is 11%, China has stopped exporting silver, every other day there are true stories about people rocking up to silver stores and buying out their entire stock. The Chinese government is actively encouraging people to buy the shiny yellow and white stuff.

India is reputed to be similar.

UK inflation is about 14-19% Merv refuses to do anything about it.

China, Russia, Brazil and India are all trading in local currencies not US$ anymore.

Interest rates the only thing which can kill PM prices are not going anywhere soon.

No idea about buying such commodities but I can't see how you can invest in something with 20% VAT compared to stocks and shares which have a tiny bit of stamp duty only.

Well ain't that the truth, the first part anyway.;)

True, but you might find there's a punitive level of CGT due when the government suddenly increase CGT on silver and you don't have the physical in your hand to sell CGT-free on the black market. :ph34r:

Do you live in cloud cuckoo land? Since when has life been like that.

Bumpy, from my experience you seem to be a bit of a precious metals troll. I don't mind listening to reasoned arguments about why someone might be wrong, but just telling them they are doesn't cut it in my book.

I wouldn't say rocket, however many factors point towards it going up. Or rather paper money going down the tubes.

I.e. money printing isn't going to stop.

We've hit the 40 year cycle where paper money becomes worthless proven through history.

Chinese inflation is 11%, China has stopped exporting silver, every other day there are true stories about people rocking up to silver stores and buying out their entire stock. The Chinese government is actively encouraging people to buy the shiny yellow and white stuff.

India is reputed to be similar.

UK inflation is about 14-19% Merv refuses to do anything about it.

China, Russia, Brazil and India are all trading in local currencies not US$ anymore.

Interest rates the only thing which can kill PM prices are not going anywhere soon.

Yep, this is the main issue (although all the others are way up there too). In a world of negative real interest rates, cash is always trash and precious metals appreciate, that is fact.

Edited by General Congreve