House Price Crash Forum
waitingscot

Would England Cope: If Scotland Declared Independence?

Since Scotland is a net contributor to the UK's budget, would Scotland leaving the union tip England over the edge?

Would England lose its place on the UN security council, the G8 and other influential international bodies?

Would Scotland cope if england withdrew all public sect jobs from Scotland?

Edited by kilroy

Since Scotland is a net contributor to the UK's budget, would Scotland leaving the union tip England over the edge?

give us some figures - since many economists would disagree with you there.

But I think both would cope with the separation, its just a question of what that impact would be.

Um Scotland would survive My link

Wales probably wouldn't, they are "subsurdised(spelling)" by some £6Bn, but considering England have knicked our coal and water, I only think it is fair

Given Maggie and Major pissed most of your oil up the wall already, we're probably not going to collapse. We would probably lose UN security council status, which makes sense because even with you lot we aren't that important a country, even if we are a semi-nuclear power. An EU security council seat replacing both Britain and France is the obvious answer in the future, but I can't see Johnny Onions putting up with that even in the medium term.

G8, we'd probably still just about qualify I think.

Given Maggie and Major pissed most of your oil up the wall already, we're probably not going to collapse. We would probably lose UN security council status, which makes sense because even with you lot we aren't that important a country, even if we are a semi-nuclear power. An EU security council seat replacing both Britain and France is the obvious answer in the future, but I can't see Johnny Onions putting up with that even in the medium term.

G8, we'd probably still just about qualify I think.

We'd keep the UN Security Council seat. The precedent is when Russia took over the USSR's seat when the other constituent countries abandoned Moscow.

We'd keep the UN Security Council seat. The precedent is when Russia took over the USSR's seat when the other constituent countries abandoned Moscow.

but russia is still quite big, rather than mickey mouse

and putin is quite a hard nut you wouldnt want to fck with whereas Dave?

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

Given Maggie and Major pissed most of your oil up the wall already, we're probably not going to collapse. We would probably lose UN security council status, which makes sense because even with you lot we aren't that important a country, even if we are a semi-nuclear power. An EU security council seat replacing both Britain and France is the obvious answer in the future,

I think that's what germany has planned.

FWIW I'm more of the belief that one of two scenario's will pan out.

1)US,UK and france withdraw from UN and form alternative trading bloc.(probably situated in north america...and canada)

2) US,EU(which will NOT be german dominated as they will get financially humiliated and exposed for the hitlerian dirty tricks,but go under full control of british royalty(who are in effect franco-german)...but the EU will be split into 4 governships rather than either full federalism or democratic council...and russia,which will turn on the muslim hordes it is arming in exchange for the re-annexation of a couple of baltic states it used to run.

As your man said, Russia is massive and full of natural resources, and it had an independent nuclear arsenal big enough to kill everybody alive on the planet. We have the Dyson design department and the British Transport Police.

Someone once told me that if you took the election results in England in isolation, the Tories would have won every single general election since before last century. Not sure how true that is, but it would be rather ironic if it turns out Labour manufactured their own destruction by splitting the union in such a way.

Someone once told me that if you took the election results in England in isolation, the Tories would have won every single general election since before last century. Not sure how true that is, but it would be rather ironic if it turns out Labour manufactured their own destruction by splitting the union in such a way.

Devolution was the only hope for continuing the Union, as Scottish labourites realised. Without it the SNP would have swept the board in 2010, and had a population facing a tory government nobody but Malcolm Rifkind voted for. As it is they won't win a referendum.

right - they have a somewhat dubious way of working out where the maritime boundariy lies and therefore what proportion of the oil revenue is "scotland's".

(they claim the border is in the wrong place and then the maritime line from where the border hits the coast is wrong as well. It would be difficult for a Scottish nation seceding from the Union to impose those sorts of changes on the rest of the UK. More likely they would have to make concessions to get independence)

I think that's what germany has planned.

FWIW I'm more of the belief that one of two scenario's will pan out.

1)US,UK and france withdraw from UN and form alternative trading bloc.(probably situated in north america...and canada)

2) US,EU(which will NOT be german dominated as they will get financially humiliated and exposed for the hitlerian dirty tricks,but go under full control of british royalty(who are in effect franco-german)...but the EU will be split into 4 governships rather than either full federalism or democratic council...and russia,which will turn on the muslim hordes it is arming in exchange for the re-annexation of a couple of baltic states it used to run.

Interesting analysis.

2) US,EU(which will NOT be german dominated as they will get financially humiliated and exposed for the hitlerian dirty tricks,but go under full control of british royalty(who are in effect franco-german)...but the EU will be split into 4 governships rather than either full federalism or democratic council...Could happen

...and russia,which will turn on the muslim hordes it is arming in exchange for the re-annexation of a couple of baltic states it used to run. Already happend

Wales probably wouldn't, they are "subsurdised(spelling)" by some £6Bn, but considering England have knicked our coal and water, I only think it is fair

Evidence plese.

right - they have a somewhat dubious way of working out where the maritime boundariy lies and therefore what proportion of the oil revenue is "scotland's".

(they claim the border is in the wrong place and then the maritime line from where the border hits the coast is wrong as well. It would be difficult for a Scottish nation seceding from the Union to impose those sorts of changes on the rest of the UK. More likely they would have to make concessions to get independence)

Any links for your claims?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Scotland%27s_oil

Should be a fourth button 4) It depends.

Too many variables. And knowing our luck Cameron would give them the oil, let them off the debt, and we would have to defend them and bail out RBS and HBOS. mad.gif

the link provided was referring to the "real" border being in the mouth of the river tweed rather than to the north of it as currently shown on maps.

It was also claiming that the change in maritime borders in 1999 - which makes a few oil fields lie in english waters - is not valid.

the current state of affairs is in fact linked in the one you have provided.

For Scotland to be self supporting financially those two changes are required, yet no international body is likely to consider that to be the case (stephanie flanders BBC).

Nope, even with the oil it still isn't.

We can go around in circles saying oh yes it can/oh not it can't. Can we take this beyond pantomime opinions and have some facts?

the link provided was referring to the "real" border being in the mouth of the river tweed rather than to the north of it as currently shown on maps.

It was also claiming that the change in maritime borders in 1999 - which makes a few oil fields lie in english waters - is not valid.

the current state of affairs is in fact linked in the one you have provided.

For Scotland to be self supporting financially those two changes are required, yet no international body is likely to consider that to be the case (stephanie flanders BBC).

OK - I'd misunderstood which side of the argument you are on.