House Price Crash Forum
Sour Mash

Channel 4 News Now - Inflation

Excellent - the head of Starbucks is laying into the financial sector and the central banks are being fingered as squarely responsible for the massive rises in food and energy prices.

About time.

(It'll be on C4+1 at 8pm)

Excellent - the head of Starbucks is laying into the financial sector and the central banks are being fingered as squarely responsible for the massive rises in food and energy prices.

The one who Peter Mandelson accused of talking Britain down when Labour were in power?

Thanks for the heads up, but do we really want the proles to start getting angry just yet? I'd rather things spin out of control much further before the public wake up to the truth. That way the wealth transfer should be even greater when everything finally collapses.

Thanks for the heads up, but do we really want the proles to start getting angry just yet? I'd rather things spin out of control much further before the public wake up to the truth. That way the wealth transfer should be even greater when everything finally collapses.

You know the old saying? "Be careful what you wish for"...

The real rate of inflation has been high for years. The biggest purchase people make is on their home, either buying or renting. Just look at the rate of inflation in housing costs.

Its just that Gordon Brown the Great ignored anything that went up so that he could claim to be competent. For some reason NuLiebor had the media in their pocket and all these lies went unreported.

Two pints of milk went up 5p from 84p to 89p a few weeks back

First Class post up from 41p to 46p

I have given up thinking about how much it cost's to fill up the car

Toasted sandwich in the cafe , a few weeks back was £2.50 popped down there today and it was £3.

Went into the bakers the cakes I like were £1.09 yesterday today £1.14 .

That is just a few of the things that I have noticed , and they make a big issue about the train drivers getting 10% over two years , they are just standing still the big news should be the other workers who are getting no or very little rises who are going backwards.

Toasted sandwich in the cafe , a few weeks back was £2.50 popped down there today and it was £3.

That is just a few of the things that I have noticed , and they make a big issue about the train drivers getting 10% over two years , they are just standing still the big news should be the other workers who are getting no or very little rises who are going backwards.

Loaf of my favourite bread @ sainsurys 125, up 10p in the last couple of weeks.:ph34r:

Tell me about it, I took a passing glance at a major gold dealers website today. The price of a 1Oz coin is £954 today, only a few weeks back you could get one a little over £900. If you go back 2 years they were only about £650!!! Bloody inflation. <_<

Luckily the tenner in my wallet is still a tenner, at least that hasn't changed, PHEW!!!

Edited by General Congreve

Presumeably you have already fitted one-way bullet proof glass to your house....

As said to prevent such speculation rules should be introduced, i.e. if you buy it you HAVE to take delivery. Lets see exon valdez type ships in canary wharf.

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1305138549' post='2984480]

The real rate of inflation has been high for years. The biggest purchase people make is on their home, either buying or renting. Just look at the rate of inflation in housing costs.

Its just that Gordon Brown the Great ignored anything that went up so that he could claim to be competent. For some reason NuLiebor had the media in their pocket and all these lies went unreported.

Exemption of freelance journalists and other "self employed" media luvvies from IR35.

Loaf of my favourite bread @ sainsurys 125, up 10p in the last couple of weeks.:ph34r:

No loyalty for me as far as bread is concerned. The quality of S'burys own brand bread has dropped a lot in 2010 in my opinion, Asda too.

Morrisons have had Rathbones bread at 60p a loaf since January. Brown some weeks, white others.

4 pints (that's 2.272 litres) of semi-skimmed or 'full fat' milk has been 99p / £1 at Lidl, Aldi and Iceland round here for months. Shop around.

Edited by deflation

Presumeably you have already fitted one-way bullet proof glass to your house....

Of course, along with the massive sign outdside to alert everyone that there's lots of lovely gold in my home. ;)

Of course I could have saved myself the cost of the hi-tech glass by not putting up the massive sign and not foolish keeping my relatively modest gold stash in my poorly secured house, but by paying a small annual fee to keep it somewhere where even the team from the 'Italian Job' would struggle into. B)

Edited by General Congreve

Jeez - Lidl oven chips up to 55p/kg today - were 50p last week. Their cheapest butter was 84p for ages but was £1.10 today. Luckily random poking with a screwdriver has resurrected my dead bread machine so back to 3 nice loaves a week for £1.

My weekly Lidl shop averaged about £45 last year, the same shop is about £55 at the moment.

250gram block of Sainsbury's butter up this week £1.24 from £1.15!

I've noticed all spreads in general are up across the board. They're at stupid prices now even the cheapo ones that taste like carpet.

If West Govts do not do something soon, it won't just be the middle east that sees people demonstrating.

Once the poll boost that Obama gets from the Bin Laden thing dies down he will realise that he needs people to vote next year to get him back into power.

So we are told that international commodity trading is what is driving up the prices.

Can anyone explain how and why this is happening? Commodity trading is nothing new. Humans have always tried to speculate and make money out of human essentials (housing for instance!). So what's changed now? Is it QE money piling into commodities in the way that easy credit earlier piled into houses?

Would certainly appreciate it if anyone can explain what's different today.

So we are told that international commodity trading is what is driving up the prices.

Can anyone explain how and why this is happening? Commodity trading is nothing new. Humans have always tried to speculate and make money out of human essentials (housing for instance!). So what's changed now? Is it QE money piling into commodities in the way that easy credit earlier piled into houses?

Would certainly appreciate it if anyone can explain what's different today.

I really don't understand the mechanism by which futures speculation affects spot prices. Several people have tried to explain it, but it's certainly not an obvious mechanism.

What is interesting is that the effects of speculators futures markets has been widely studied looking at price *volatility* in the physical market - the evidence is contradictory; some studies say it improves matters, other that it makes things worse.

There have been far fewer studies looking at the effect on absolute price. However, where good studies have been performed, in the base metals market (where there is a control group - not all base metals have futures), the results are striking. The presence of futures and speculation in futures neither depresses or raises the price of base metals. In all cases examined, the price of metals with futures and those without moved equal amounts in response to conventional measures of supply and demand.