House Price Crash Forum
beccles

Will 'homes Under The Hammer' Ever End?

Easy. Because it's cheap as chips to produce and daytime telly watchers (you know who) love it.

I think it's great.

Best program of the day. Really good for a laugh!

tim

I think it's great.

Best program of the day. Really good for a laugh!

tim

Watched it yesterday. Bloke bought empty shed, no plan, but was still going to clear a massive profit. What's not to like?

If the majority of people featured in this show starting losing money, it could be a fantastic advert for HPC.

They do feature lossmakers from time to time. Interesting to see how the introduction to the show gets more and more bearish each year.

Watched it yesterday. Bloke bought empty shed, no plan, but was still going to clear a massive profit. What's not to like?

:lol:

David van Day who presents it is making a mint on the side by writing books on property investment, he also has around 40 BTL properties if I remember rightly. His cheery persona is consistent and even when they are set to make huge losses he finishes of with some happy story about how the people haavent been put off and they will obviously move on and make millions.

I think HUTH is great - in a kitsch kinda way! :D

During the 1 hour programmes I do find myself drifting off though when Lucy or Martin ("David Van Day") interview the new owners. A lot of it seems to be filler. BBC1 did show a condensed 45 minute run time of HUTH but still included 3 properties, which kept my attention more. If BBC1 can cut the unnecessary crap and focus on the main bones then it would be more watchable.

Even in the ones they show now, they don't always make money. On Monday they featured 2 property developers who bought a piece of land of a large Victorian House in Cheshire and build a detached house, that looked really nice and well planned by the end. The estimated sale price of the finished house was about the same that was spent on the land + the build.

Why do the BBC persist with this complete shit?

I caught it for the first time on Monday, I've watched a couple more on iPlayer since then. I quite enjoyed it, no-one on the shows I saw seemed to get much return for their time, effort and risk though.

It's good to see houses built or made liveable, all adds to the supply side and improves the general stock.

I caught it for the first time on Monday, I've watched a couple more on iPlayer since then. I quite enjoyed it, no-one on the shows I saw seemed to get much return for their time, effort and risk though.

what's risk

r. i. s. k.

nah. don't get it. can't eat it, can't sh*g it. not like bricks and mortar, easy money, tangible mate ;)

What is there not to love about Homes Under The Hammer? :lol:

The woman who presents is thick-as-pigshit though. I love watching the utterly clueless lot... especially when they are (somehow) surprised how long it takes to get planning permission/listed building consent for something.

And yes, at the moment buying a piece of land and building a new house from scratch is a loss-maker. Doesn't stop a couple thinking "oh! £40k for a plot with planning permission! bargain!" :P

p.s. see links in my signature... ;)

Edited by Mr Deflation

I think pre credit crunch re-runs of location location location should be made illegal.

Its such a false representation of current prices, markets, wealth and sentiment it borders on fiction but they dress it up as if its current.

I think pre credit crunch re-runs of location location location should be made illegal.

Its such a false representation of current prices, markets, wealth and sentiment it borders on fiction but they dress it up as if its current.

They do give the time of valuation though, which is helpful if you are one of the minority who knows what prices were doing then.

It's good to see houses built or made liveable, all adds to the supply side and improves the general stock.

Agreed. :)

In a similar vein to HUTH, there hasn't been a series of Sarah Beeny's 'Property Ladder' (or 'Property Snakes and Ladders' ) over the past year. :( I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.

David van Day who presents it is making a mint on the side by writing books on property investment, he also has around 40 BTL properties if I remember rightly. His cheery persona is consistent and even when they are set to make huge losses he finishes of with some happy story about how the people haavent been put off and they will obviously move on and make millions.

The one from Dollar? I must be behind the times because the last I heard he was running a fast-food van in Brighton.

The one from Dollar? I must be behind the times because the last I heard he was running a fast-food van in Brighton.

Since the burger van he's become a minor shlebrity. He was on some 'reality TV' where he upset Scouse Stock Aitken & Waterman by-product from the late 80s Sonia, was on Celeb Coach Trip where Cheryl Baker managed to vote him and buddy Tony Blackburn off and on the Cheryl Baker theme, was in Bucks Fizz for a time.

The usual rule is, the worse it starts out, the more money you will make.

As Beeny says, "you make your profit when you buy" and if it's in "move in" condition you will usually have to overpay because you will have to compete against bidders who want it to live in.

tim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homes_Under_the_Hammer

Interestng stats. The show has been running since 2003. The market top can in 2007.

Now look at the table of shows

Series Start date End date Episodes

1 May 2003 June 2003 30

2 November 2003 April 2004 50

3 January 2005 March 2005 40

4 October 2005 December 2005 40

5 June 2006 July 2006 30

6 January 2007 February 2007 20

7 April 2007 May 2007 30

8 September 2007 October 2007 20

9 January 2008 February 2008 20

10 February 2008 June 2008 20

11 June 2008 September 2008 20

12 November 2008 February 2009 30

13 February 2009 March 2010 85

14 April 2010 May 2011 105

Look how the number of shows were at 20 after the Northen Rock/Financial crisis.

More recently - Are they milking it knowing at some point they'll be no more shows? Come back in 2015. We'll see.

is this the same david-van-day of dollar(I'm showing my age here!) fame?

should have left him in the fekkin jungle!

Are any of the buck's fizz gang in on this charade,because I know a great soundtrack for the programme!