House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Campaign Launched Over 'dazzling' Hid Car Headlamps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206

A row is developing among car enthusiasts and road users about the potential risks of super-bright headlights.

The headlamps - called HIDs and commonly referred to as bi-xenon - are much brighter than traditional headlights and are sold as a safety feature. But some road-users claim they are often dazzled by the lights, making pedestrians and cyclists difficult to see.

Are these the lights that have a blue-ish tinge ? (not police lights lol)

The 4X4 tank ride height is more annoying (I get dazzled in the review mirror). Best to let them past. Get out of my way!

They are useful though when you spot in the opposite direction an audi or BMW type overtaking a car doing 50mph on a country road. Running out of overtaking room.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13143206

Are these the lights that have a blue-ish tinge ? (not police lights lol)

The 4X4 tank ride height is more annoying (I get dazzled in the review mirror). Best to let them past. Get out of my way!

They are useful though when you spot in the opposite direction an audi or BMW type overtaking a car doing 50mph on a country road. Running out of overtaking room.

I have an Audi that has them fitted and they are very good to drive with. They are fitted with automatic leveling systems, to ensure that they remain dipped even if the car is full of people etc. However I have seen a few cars with retrofitted ones (with no leveling system) and also a few where the leveling system has possibly gone faulty, and this is where the problem is.

I see that motor-cyclists are complaining, but they are pots calling the kettle black, as almost every motorbike I see has mis-aligned headlights which produce far more glare than any correctly functioning HID lamp.

I have an Audi that has them fitted and they are very good to drive with. They are fitted with automatic leveling systems, to ensure that they remain dipped even if the car is full of people etc. However I have seen a few cars with retrofitted ones (with no leveling system) and also a few where the leveling system has possibly gone faulty, and this is where the problem is.

I see that motor-cyclists are complaining, but they are pots calling the kettle black, as almost every motorbike I see has mis-aligned headlights which produce far more glare than any correctly functioning HID lamp.

That makes sense. One option properly designed, and another option helicoptered into some boy racer civic type thing.

How are they at spotting pot holes?

That makes sense. One option properly designed, and another option helicoptered into some boy racer civic type thing.

How are they at spotting pot holes?

Yes, the boy racers fitting HIDs into halogen headlamp units are the worst as HID bulbs produce a different beam and need a different lens or reflector to project the light correctly. If not, the light beam will be totally screwed up.

I'm not sure if your pot hole comment is in jest or not, but you can see them better with HIDs too, but if you refer to the effect pot holes have on the leveling systems, they will only dampen the effect as the motors will not act fast enough, but when driving over undulating surfaces you can notice the beams being leveled constantly.

Yes, the boy racers fitting HIDs into halogen headlamp units are the worst...

They're the worst, but even correctly fitted ones are a problem. It's xenon bulbs on 4x4s where the physical height of the headlamp unit is about level with the eyes of a driver sitting in a conventional car that really dazzle me. IMO this could be solved by a simple rule stating that the headlamp unit cannot be more than X centimetres above the ground, regardless of the vehicle design.

Very bright LEDs on bikes (i.e. pushbikes, not motorcycles) are also very distracting. Many are as bright as a typical car's dipped headlamp, but are significantly higher and not focused downwards.

Just as long as you aren't suggesting that 50mph is fine because it's a country road. I can't drive through Derbyshire these days without having a blood pressure crisis.

Just as long as you aren't suggesting that 50mph is fine because it's a country road. I can't drive through Derbyshire these days without having a blood pressure crisis.

No you never know what's round the bend on a country road!

My experience:-

-a horse and cart

-a slow cyclist

-car reversing into the main road

-a car at a blind junction halfway in the road (the car in front nearly crashed into the side of the car)

-a fork lift truck (going at 5mph at dusk with no lights)

-van on the wrong side over-taking

-pedestrian walking long the side of the road in pitch black

-cars in other direction cutting off bends

Which is why, IMO, it should be illegal to park 'head first' in a space: you should have to reverse into it. It's far safer reversing off a carriageway rather than on to one, let alone the engine wear inflicted by multiple gear changes and sharp acceleration on a cold engine.

I have these. Great on country roads, not so good in the city. I would like some option to be able to turn them down in the city as they are not really necessary and it is probably illegal to run on side lights only. On country roads/carriageways they are like an intermediate between dipped and full beam.

Some people hate them and slow down deliberately when they see them from behind. People coming from the front will occasionally turn theirs on full beam, I normally give them the good news by turning my array on full beam as well - that'll learn em. In recent years the number of people doing this has declined rapidly as people realise that they are actually dipped headlights.

I tend to find that most of the cars that drive slow in front of you/turn on the full beam tend to be posh/powerful sports cars. In other words people who probably want xenons but haven't got them so decide to bitch about other peoples instead.

-a horse and cart

-a slow cyclist

-a car at a blind junction halfway in the road (the car in front nearly crashed into the side of the car)

-a fork lift truck (going at 5mph at dusk with no lights)

-van on the wrong side over-taking

-pedestrian walking long the side of the road in pitch black

-cars in other direction cutting off bends

Yes, which is why you slow down for corners. It's called "driving", having to adjust your speed to suit the road and conditions. Are you seriously suggesting that it's dangerous to go along a road like the A515, which in places is dead straight and you can see for miles, at 60mph, just because you need to go slower than that for some corners? The 50mph limit along there these days is one of the most idiotic that I've seen (and supported by numerous Talivans the last time I went that way). With your list, does 50 instead of 60 make much difference? No. And several of them are the result of someone else being stupid - have a go at them instead, otherwise you may as well support a motorway limit of 20 just so that you stand a better chance of avoiding someone driving along it in the wrong direction.

They're the worst, but even correctly fitted ones are a problem. It's xenon bulbs on 4x4s where the physical height of the headlamp unit is about level with the eyes of a driver sitting in a conventional car that really dazzle me. IMO this could be solved by a simple rule stating that the headlamp unit cannot be more than X centimetres above the ground, regardless of the vehicle design.

Very bright LEDs on bikes (i.e. pushbikes, not motorcycles) are also very distracting. Many are as bright as a typical car's dipped headlamp, but are significantly higher and not focused downwards.

Once upon a time the Construction and Use regulations here in the UK did specify such limits. If I remember correctly the centre of the light had to be between 24 and 36 inches from the road. That was one of the reasons for pop up headlights on some low cars in the past. Has it been changed or just ignored?

Which is why, IMO, it should be illegal to park 'head first' in a space: you should have to reverse into it. It's far safer reversing off a carriageway rather than on to one, let alone the engine wear inflicted by multiple gear changes and sharp acceleration on a cold engine.

Agreed, it's one thing that really cheeses me off. About the only time I use the horn, just to show my annoyance. Whats even worse, a lot of the offenders are people who do their reversing with their head facing forward depending on only what they can see in the mirrors.

I tend to find that most of the cars that drive slow in front of you/turn on the full beam tend to be posh/powerful sports cars. In other words people who probably want xenons but haven't got them so decide to bitch about other peoples instead.

Or maybe, in being closer to the ground they are even more dangerously blinded by your poorly aligned illegally bright headlights.

I doubt anybody has "xenon envy", when bright lights come up behind me they are dazzling in my rear view mirror which distracts me so I slow. This is different from the deliberate slowing that I do when tailgated.

Or maybe, in being closer to the ground they are even more dangerously blinded by your poorly aligned illegally bright headlights.

Unlikely as they are self levelling and the original factory fitted option. I've never had any MOT advice suggesting they were misaligned.

I doubt anybody has "xenon envy", when bright lights come up behind me they are dazzling in my rear view mirror which distracts me so I slow. This is different from the deliberate slowing that I do when tailgated.

You can switch your rear view mirror to reduce dazzle via the tab underneath it. This option was around long before Xenons.

I find these headlights to be distracting. The thing is, it's not as if conventional lights could not be made as bright, but they are limited from being so by restrictions on power. It's worth remembering that, as some talk about these lights as if brighter=better ad infinitum. The Bixenon's are more efficient, and thus brighter while still being consistent with the the law as it stands. The law ought to be updated to be based on candelas or another definition of luminous intensity. The retrofit ones are by far the worst, but they are all pretty poor for the visibility of other road users, likewise driving with illuminated foglights in normal conditions.

Yes, which is why you slow down for corners. It's called "driving", having to adjust your speed to suit the road and conditions. Are you seriously suggesting that it's dangerous to go along a road like the A515, which in places is dead straight and you can see for miles, at 60mph, just because you need to go slower than that for some corners? The 50mph limit along there these days is one of the most idiotic that I've seen (and supported by numerous Talivans the last time I went that way). With your list, does 50 instead of 60 make much difference? No. And several of them are the result of someone else being stupid - have a go at them instead, otherwise you may as well support a motorway limit of 20 just so that you stand a better chance of avoiding someone driving along it in the wrong direction.

A massive +1

The 40 Mph limit keeps on getting further and further along the A619 headed out of Chesterfield towards Baslow. Yet people still keep killing themselves, and others, by making poor overtaking decisions.

A massive +1

The 40 Mph limit keeps on getting further and further along the A619 headed out of Chesterfield towards Baslow. Yet people still keep killing themselves, and others, by making poor overtaking decisions.

I've heard rumours that some of the reductions are supposed to discourage overtaking (presumably working on the assumption that people aren't willing to go over a rather arbitrary limit but are willing to gamble with their and others' lives in a dangerous overtaking manouevre). So I'm trundling along the aforementioned A515 at the stupid 50, only to get overtaken on a hill with about 100 yards visibility, and a definitely unavoidable head-on collision if anything had been coming. But speed kills, you know, not driving like a dickhead. It's made even worse by a whole pile of incredibly patronising-sounding "It's 50 for a reason" signs. I'm so tempted to sneak along and add "The reason being the council are clueless morons."