House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

Boe Inflation Report Due Today

The BOE inflation report is due today.

It's expected to raise near term inflation, while lowering future growth. Get ready for some interesting fan charts!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/10/markets-sterling-close-idUKLDE7491ZC20110510

Why wait for the press release? We all know that inflation will be forecasted to be 2.0% in 18 months from now.

The BOE inflation report is due today.

It's expected to raise near term inflation, while lowering future growth. Get ready for some interesting fan charts!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/10/markets-sterling-close-idUKLDE7491ZC20110510

Considering the BOE forecasts for the last 3-4 years have been completely wrong not sure why anyone thinks this one will be different.

My view would be future growth will now be potentially higher than it was in 2007. The boom was always unsustainable, a crash was inevitable. Now we have to focus on other industries to drive growth which will likely lead to a much more sustainable future economy and higher long term growth.

The disturbing thought is that Merv expects inflation to peak at 5%

Now given he's always going to play down the situation, I wonder what he really thinks it'll peak at.. 6% 7% ?

Nice for those RMT workers on RPI + 0.5%

Listening to it live. Paul Mason from the BBC said to Merv.. "As we all expected, the figures are worse than you predicted"

Priceless.

Merv claims inflation target is symmetrical – if energy and import prices collapsed in the short-term then the MPC would 'look through' such movements.

I'm calling bull$hit on that one.

Merv claims inflation target is symmetrical – if energy and import prices collapsed in the short-term then the MPC would 'look through' such movements.

I'm calling bull$hit on that one.

But surely that is what they want? If energy and import prices don't collapse then inflation won't come back down to target, to me it looks like they are gambling on this happening and this why they are holding off on rates.

The latest fan chart.

If they're not careful the BoE will start to lose credibility :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Give the job to someone who'll take it seriously.

Edited by billybong

Some City chap was just interviewed on BBC Radio Wales and he said that UK food inflation may well be over 10% this Summer, with general inflation likely going over 5%.

This will not end well.

Some City chap was just interviewed on BBC Radio Wales and he said that UK food inflation may well be over 10% this Summer, with general inflation likely going over 5%.

This will not end well.

Yeah standard of living fall for many is looking like it will accelerate. The cost of saving the financial system?

I'm in the process of buying. I'll need to get some seeds in the ground, and chickens in the shed.

Listening to it live. Paul Mason from the BBC said to Merv.. "As we all expected, the figures are worse than you predicted"

Priceless.

Here from 12:18 onwards, just a shame the camera didn't cut to Merv's face for the comment.

http://streamstudio.world-television.com/CCUIv3/frameset.aspx?ticket=117-118-9568&browser=ie-9-0-0-10-0&target=en-default-&status=ondemand&stream=wm-video-300

Thanks, is that over 2% for 3-4 years?

edit: oh plus the 2007/8 blip

Yes, quite ridiculous. They should be targeting 2% average CPI if that is the target, not hitting 2% at some mystical point in the future.

Q

As someone else said - if the upper prediction is 5%

You can bet that it will be nearer to 7%

The RMT wage deal is the first sign of the start of a wage/price spiral and must be worrying for the BOE.

Plan A isn't working and there is clearly no Plan B.

:blink: