House Price Crash Forum
anonguest

More Ingenious Revenue Raising

More Europeanisation of police powers. Becoming judges and executioners. One can only hope that, similar to lesser Fixed Penalty Notices for parking violations, there will be some sort of mechanism allowing a lucky recipient to dispute the fine and opt to go to court? But something tells me they will frame the system such that only the bravest will risk it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13356057

We already have the safest roads in the world(?) but this is deemed necessary?

Methinks this is being done for,

(1) cost cutting reasons, and

(2) another source of revenue raising.

The latter reason being why these powers will inevitably be abused immensely, despite all the inevitable platitudes and assurances we can expect to hear from the powers that be. The police in this country have, sadly, a long history of immediately overzealously applying new powers whenever they are granted them to the point where there is an inevitable outcry.

The only consolation I can think of this that at least these days police cars have constant camera recording of whatever they are seeing through their own front windscreen(?) - and thus there should be evidence to back up their claims of bad driving? But what about the random foot plod who pulls you over from the side of the road and tells you have been driving badly, blah blah blah and you are being issued with a ticket.

Edited by anonguest

The only consolation I can think of this that at least these days police cars have constant camera recording of whatever they are seeing through their own front windscreen(?) - and thus there should be evidence to back up their claims of bad driving? But what about the random foot plod who pulls you over from the side of the road and tells you have been driving badly, blah blah blah and you are being issued with a ticket.

I bought one of those in-car video recording units on ebay a couple of days ago. £26.99 inc postage, how cheap things are getting. Bought it to hopefully prove other driver's fault in an accident, of which had a couple of near misses recently with drivers veering over into my lane from opposite direction. Waiting for it to arrive from China and considering best way of hard-wiring it to ignition live and neatly getting it rigged into positioned without wires on show. If I get bolschy tax raising policeman and given a penalty when innocent of the charges then I'll keep quiet and hopefully have evidence to prove they were wrong if there is an appeal system. Can't rely on them handing over their own video, if they have any.

They should introduce legislation to separate law enforcement and revenue raising.

Othewise at some point each policeman will be set targets to issue 5 fines a day or issue £500 worth of fines a day. This day will happen.

I say go for it.

Britain has some terribly aggressive and careless drivers. For anon, the roads are safe yes, but the drivers are not.

Being a biker as I am; taking our motorways means taking your life into your own hands because of you lot tailgating, wandering across lanes, speeding like a kamikaze, and talking on your mobile phones.

Good on the rozzars to fine the pants of the careless fvcks.

Time to start taking away more licences as well.

Judge Jury Executioner.

Open to massive abusive from bullying cocky rude arrogant authoritarian police.

Which is what will happen.

Who now employ the kind of Intimidatory tactics we used to see at 1970's northern ireland roadblocks. Policing has gone backwards.

Edited by Dan1

We'll see highly stressed police officers who just want to an honest job do their job for their community, having to resort to trying to hit targets. See central London Traffic wardens.

Judge Jury Executioner.

Open to massive abusive from bullying cocky rude arrogant authoritarian police.

Which is what will happen.

Who now employ the kind of Intimidatory tactics we used to see at 1970's northern ireland roadblocks. Policing has gone backwards.

I think you are flying off the handle here, and just for parity, I am not for police intervention at any time outside of emergencies, but having said that...

I have never had a problem with British police, and I've been all over the world.

If anything, the police here are the most reasonable I've ever dealt with, and still command respect worldwide due to their tact and ethics training.

Of course, there will be the odd tosser, but I've yet to meet one.

Now, having had speeding tickets in Spain and the south USA I can say clearly that our police are great.

Having a Guardia Civil or Alabama county sheriff bust your balls is no fun.

They should introduce legislation to separate law enforcement and revenue raising.

Othewise at some point each policeman will be set targets to issue 5 fines a day or issue £500 worth of fines a day. This day will happen.

Already does, I know a couple of ex cops who were in traffic who were pretty much told they had to 'find' faults with drivers. But because unlike other cops he had a shred of decency, he quit over this.

I say go for it.

Britain has some terribly aggressive and careless drivers. For anon, the roads are safe yes, but the drivers are not.

I thought the driving in UK was bad until I visited South America!

Being a biker as I am; taking our motorways means taking your life into your own hands because of you lot tailgating, wandering across lanes, speeding like a kamikaze, and talking on your mobile phones.

I have never had a problem with British police, and I've been all over the world.

Now, having had speeding tickets in Spain and the south USA I can say clearly that our police are great.

Well at least we know you will be first in line to lose your license, given you not only speed in england but all over the world you are clearly one of those careless fvcks who speeds like a kamikaze

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for

I say go for it.

Can't agree more. The amount of impatient, bad tempered aggressive driving is on the increase. As is texting and the use of mobile devices while on the move. Are they incapable of using "hands free?"

When cycling love the impatient "flouncing off" because I've held them up a few seconds, screech of tyres, revving of (overpowerful) engines. And if they race up to a junction, slow down and make them wait even longer!.

Bankrupt the t*ssers with fines.

And I too, will get one of those cheap cams and attach it to my crash helmet. You see a different world on a bike.

Well at least we know you will be first in line to lose your license, given you not only speed in england but all over the world you are clearly one of those careless fvcks who speeds like a kamikaze

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for

whatever-4.jpg

I still say we have good police in Britain, compared to the alternatives elsewhere.

And it will be good to see careless drivers getting spot fined. Might make some of you get off your mobiles and pay attention.

I think you are flying off the handle here.

Well you're wrong. The Police in this country need their wings clipping.

An steadily increasing authoritarian Police Force is a proof of failed governance, leading to an ever greater strain on the population.

The root problem is an economic one.

Edited by Dan1

Well you're wrong. The Police in this country need their wings clipping.

An steadily increasing authoritarian Police Force is proof of a failed society.

If you dislike it here I suggest you move to Spain.

Deal with Guardia's for a few months, come back and tell us how you feel about our hard nosed rozzars.

Complaining on some internet forum is not going to change anything.

Edited by cashinmattress

I think you are flying off the handle here, and just for parity, I am not for police intervention at any time outside of emergencies, but having said that...

If anything, the police here are the most reasonable I've ever dealt with, and still command respect worldwide due to their tact and ethics training.

You're kidding right? British police have respect? When did that happen? They might well be respected by dictators and dodgy regimes though, but by people? Nope.

Of course, there will be the odd tosser, but I've yet to meet one.

Ah the old excuse a few bad apples. This is a weak and pretty much pathetic excuse which uses mortons fork (we gotta accept police corruption else there will be anarchy). Namely because police are in effect a subsection of society. In that it is pretty much a culture, corruption, abuse of power is normalised. Those who do not abuse their power and or engage in corruption will be quickly spat out of the culture. Therefore it is a case of embrace or get out, since very few cops tend to quit as the turn over of police isn't so high. Many have embraced the nasty side.

Its pretty much proven through many psychological studies this sort of thing occurs, like the Stanford prison experiment. Whereby those placed into positions of authority ALWAYS end up abusing it.

The key difference is oversight. The UK completely lacks ANY form of oversight. The moment a cop does something wrong, like murdering a civilian, they close ranks and destroy evidence. They even have a propaganda department to smear the innocent. Two guys they thought were terrorists who they tried to execute but called it a 'mis fire accident'

Ooops they were innocent lets label them paedos.

Execution of Brazilian? Ooops lets call him a rapist.

Harry Stanley shot in the back of the head?

Having a Guardia Civil or Alabama county sheriff bust your balls is no fun.

I've been caught in Spain and France. I've pretty much been let go. I've been stopped in Hong Kong, the police actually will apologise to you for doing what they have to do and will actually tell you to have a good day.

I've been stopped in the UK 'for my own safety' the police set up road blocks and stop all bikers and patronise them about road safety. If you refuse to be patronised it turns into a stop and search and roadside MOT. Bikers of my group generally refuse, strip off down to our underpants and ride off with only our helmets on.

Or the numerous abuses caught on camera, its cliche but these are tip of the iceberg type things, for every one thing you see caught on camera there are probably 1000 you don't see.

Work in hot food? The local cops will come around and 'ask' for a 'discount' a 100% discount I've seen this five times. If you decline they will pretty much imply that patrols and response times will be reduced if you say no. How is this different from protection money and extortion? It isn't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7926776.stm

Note the 40% approval ratings is average, compare and contrast HK police force 96% because of the ICAC and proper oversight, cops actually go to prison there for misdeeds and the judiciary do not consider police testimony to be worth its weight in gold like they do here.

I thought the driving in UK was bad until I visited South America!

Georgia (tbilisi) driving is horrendous, double triple quadruple overtaking is normal,

CashinMattress.

Maybe you should type 'Police' into the search forum. See what results you turn up.

No offence intended, but Your comments really do seem a bit out of touch with reality.

Edited by Dan1

More Europeanisation of police powers. Becoming judges and executioners. One can only hope that, similar to lesser Fixed Penalty Notices for parking violations, there will be some sort of mechanism allowing a lucky recipient to dispute the fine and opt to go to court? But something tells me they will frame the system such that only the bravest will risk it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13356057

We already have the safest roads in the world(?) but this is deemed necessary?

Methinks this is being done for,

(1) cost cutting reasons, and

(2) another source of revenue raising.

The latter reason being why these powers will inevitably be abused immensely, despite all the inevitable platitudes and assurances we can expect to hear from the powers that be. The police in this country have, sadly, a long history of immediately overzealously applying new powers whenever they are granted them to the point where there is an inevitable outcry.

Can't afford pay rises?

Soft corruption will sort it!

Shame we can't have a proper republic to go with our banana republic.

They had to do something now they are turning off the speed cameras......

Although you wonder how long it will be before these fines are challenged in the court.

They are having to turn speed cams back on again due to....... speeding drivers!

Drivers on the whole are thick. They just don't "get it."

Some drivers think they own the roads, they are very inconsiderate of others that play by the rules, to be honest I think some of them get a buzz from getting ahead of others that have patiently waited their turn at a junction to push in quite blatantly, many drivers let them, they are road bullies.....there are spots getting onto the North Circular where you queue in the right hand lane to turn right, only a few cars can go at any one time due to the traffic light changing sequence, but you always get the one that speeds up the left hand lane (straight on only) and cuts across all the waiting traffic waiting to turn right...erratic, poor and selfish drivers. :ph34r:

I have never seen a gendarme drive past my house in France. However there is a corner on the main road, the one nearest the police station, that they are always at. They sit there all day pulling over vehicles. They always find some fault or infraction and collect a spot fine. They are nothing more than revenue agents. Sure, you can challenge them in court, but you will still lose and the fine will be doubled for daring to challenge them.