House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rahhhh

Alan Sugar's Football

Watching this programme my idea of the problem as to why players get paid so much hasn't been touched upon.

I believe the problem is the long contracts the players have. A player on a 45 million pound contract is suddenly an asset rather than a cost.

The solution would seem to be to reduce contracts to a 2 month rolling maximum. Players no longer a bankable asset allowing more borrowing but a cost.

What other job can you be signed up to for 5 years?

Watching this programme my idea of the problem as to why players get paid so much hasn't been touched upon.

I believe the problem is the long contracts the players have. A player on a 45 million pound contract is suddenly an asset rather than a cost.

The solution would seem to be to reduce contracts to a 2 month rolling maximum. Players no longer a bankable asset allowing more borrowing but a cost.

I did initially think "well, the player should be about to give a months notice, and that would be that"...However, there is an argument that a club that developed the player in the first place, should be compensated by the amount of time, money and effort they've spent in developing that player...

You would also see the end of a lot of lower league teams, who rely on transfer fees..If a player changed clubs every five minutes, you would also face the cup-tied issue...

I too watched the program earlier. To be honest it all looked crooked, Sugar, Murdock and Co. started it all off in the early 90's, people like Sugar made their money and got out. In fact it looked a lot like the graph on the front page. Classic Bubble. In many ways somebody more intellectual than me could make a comparison to the state countries are, say in Europe.

I listened to a Radio documentary a week or two ago about the Old Firm problems in Scotland. It talked to a historian who discussed the beginnings of the two clubs. How they had religious support from their respective communities. He also talked about how there was little religious activity in the region now(Glasgow) and how people were becoming tribal and sadly violent at the games (again).

So I guess after these high profile Football Clubs have attracted Icelandic and American investment. The "asset" they were borrowing eye watering amounts off were the tribal elements of the major cities of the UK. Their cradle to grave mindless support of their "Teams" (actually normally foreigners, which I think Sugar had a dig at) and willingness to come to the matches and pay the exorbitant ticket prices and buy the latest "baby kit" for their offspring.

Allowing the owners the ability to leveraged more readies off the bank. The shock horror wages of Rooney and co keep the public and media well away from the real game.

It does have a strong whiff of money laundering, especially through the Icelandic banks. In my opinion Sugar looked naive (which I'm sure he isn't).

Obviously the "shock" of todays revelations about FIFA showed some people (the brits) to be very naive on the ways of the world.

However, there is an argument that a club that developed the player in the first place, should be compensated by the amount of time, money and effort they've spent in developing that player...

An argument, which if accepted, applies to all employees. They cannot leave without paying, or someone else paying, their employer. This reduces employees to property. It is reminiscent of slavery where the only way a slave could refuse to work is buying his freedom.

Popstars for example often sign long contracts, even established stars.

The person here is the 'product' and the nature of the business makes long contracts necessary, otherwise, there isn't that much to sell. Someone you can hire and fire isn't 'special' but the entire point is, you're buying a star, not a nobody.

An argument, which if accepted, applies to all employees. They cannot leave without paying, or someone else paying, their employer. This reduces employees to property. It is reminiscent of slavery where the only way a slave could refuse to work is buying his freedom.

Only such a system is already in place, where a club gets some such payment for a young player. I don't know the details, but I suspect it was put into place just so that lower league clubs get some compensation for developing a player who gets snaatched up by a higher league and ends up in big money territory. I don't know how it works with a player who's out of contract.

Only such a system is already in place, where a club gets some such payment for a young player. I don't know the details, but I suspect it was put into place just so that lower league clubs get some compensation for developing a player who gets snaatched up by a higher league and ends up in big money territory. I don't know how it works with a player who's out of contract.

A club that holds the registration of a player who is 24 or under, are eligible to compensation.