House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

More Than A Third Of Home Sellers Forced To Slash Asking Price By Up To £20,000

More than a third of home sellers forced to slash asking price by up to £20,000

The number of home sellers who have reduced their asking price at least once has risen to 37 per cent.

According to property website Zoopla, home-owners are being forced into making discounts of an average of £18,970, or seven per cent.

The group said it was the biggest discount to asking prices it had recorded for more than a year, and £2,500 more than the amount frustrated sellers knocked off their original price last summer.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385476/House-prices-continue-fall-lack-mortgage-finance-holding-buyers.html#ixzz1LzTR0swI

if their asking prices weren't so high to start with they wouldn't be 'forced' to knock so much off in order to sell.

It's not their fault though, it's those mean banks for not lending 100% to anyone that asks for it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385476/House-prices-continue-fall-lack-mortgage-finance-holding-buyers.html#ixzz1LzTR0swI

The folk next door have done exactly that. Still not seeing anybody viewing the place. Last time we spoke they were talking about letting.

The folk next door have done exactly that. Still not seeing anybody viewing the place. Last time we spoke they were talking about letting.

Is it because you sit naked in the window holding a stick of wet celery and wearing a ball-gag?

Just today for a long time I stopped and looked at my local EA Branch of a National Company and was surprised at the lower asking prices. Saw a flat in a fairly nice location priced IMO at a great price that I have made an offer. The rent I would ask at a bargain price to a tenant for the area would cover a better return than I am now getting on my Investments. Strange though other certain type of properties over £500k in a very desirable area are still selling at their asking price. :unsure:

Is it because you sit naked in the window holding a stick of wet celery and wearing a ball-gag?

Given your avatar I would say that is the pot calling the kettle black..wink.gif

That would make me get my cheque book out.

Two points.

First, turn it around - almost two thirds of seller haven't been forced to slash their asking prices. ("At least not yet", says the small voice of optimism.)

Second, note the regional variations. The South East is seemingly still almost immune.

is that the sign of a fellow HPCr? I'll keep an eye out and pop in for a cup of tea next time I see one... ;)

Edited by Si1

Translation.

"More than a third of owners fall for the slick EA's trick of over-valuing a property in order to win the business".

20K is well within the margin of error of EAs valuations (just watch HUTH, where they aren't valuing to "win the business", for proof) for this to have any significance.

tim

'7%! A whole 7%! Steady on, Deirdre. We're not giving our home away - if anybody makes us drop 7%, we'll take it off the market and sit out the crash! We're not selling it for less than it's worth. If everybody refuses to drop prices', (repeat MSE/Mumsnet property forum cliches ad infinitum)

Edited by Austin Allegro

This one's knocked 4x the average off their price - 675k down to 595k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17002239.html

A "motivated" seller. ;)

Two points.

First, turn it around - almost two thirds of seller haven't been forced to slash their asking prices. ("At least not yet", says the small voice of optimism.)

Second, note the regional variations. The South East is seemingly still almost immune.

Chelmsford is in the south east, 43% forced to reduce. More than the national average.

Lessons in valuations are needed to teach people how to spot the chancers. If more of the chancers were caught out and highlighted less of them would waste their time waiting for a silly priced offer. Maybe then we would reach normal priced housing much quicker.