House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DebtFree2011

Two Large Estate Agents Have Downsized In Ashford

I am an occasional visitor to Ashford (Kent) - Where The Streets are Paved With Spit. Up until recently there were quite a few empty shops, but things seem to have got worse....

I visited Ashford today, and I noticed that two large EA premises are now empty! They have both "relocated" (Read: downsized), and IMHO this is a sign that we are entering another downturn in the housing market. The empty premises are in prime locations. I also noticed several shops that have closed recently, and another that is closing this week.

Let's not even talk about the multi-storey building in the centre of town, which is completely empty.

The proverbial straw has landed on the camel's back ....... :mellow:

I am an occasional visitor to Ashford (Kent) - Where The Streets are Paved With Spit. Up until recently there were quite a few empty shops, but things seem to have got worse....

Me too, some good friends of mine have recently moved there from London and I grew up near by.

I actually thought the town centre had massively improved since I did some temping there about 10 years ago. I used to work in that big ugly building that is now unoccupied.

My friends both commute to London for work now though, they've got a nice 5 bedroom house 20 minutes walk from the station which cost less than their 2 bed flat in London and the commute is the same door to door so there are some advantages to it!

I am an occasional visitor to Ashford (Kent) - Where The Streets are Paved With Spit.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by juvenal

Ashford hasn't got any worse, or any better than anywhere else. I've lived here a few years, and known the town for two decades, and in that time, its changed both better and worse, like everywhere else. In terms of the people who live here, there are five main employers : Saga in Folkestone, The Meat Factory, Pfizer (RIP), The Council, and London. Certainly, if you want a mortgage these days, you're probably paying an extortionate £5k a year to commute to London. Offset that against the house prices, and travelling time, and per minute and mile comapred to what you can get, it's the most affordable place. If I were in Ealing I'd pay at least twice what I'm paying here, and when I bought I paid £135k for a three bed Victorian Railway Cottage with 150ft garden within 10 minutes of the station. If I bought in Hampton Court that would've been at least £400k at the time.

Some Estate Agents have downsized : but haven't EA's everywhere downsized? And the shop that is closing this week is a bankrupt chain that is closing many many stores, not just the Ashford branch.

It's chewing gum round these parts. Best not going to town on a hot day, you're likely to get stuck.

You don't want to know how much money has been spent on chewing gum removal over the last 10 years.

ISn't it the case that its now 35 mins to Kings X? Won't that bring demand?

Not at £5k for a season ticket it won't.

That's a huge chunk of money to be paying after tax just for the privilege of sitting on a train. I lived there for 4 years from 2001 - 2005, it was perfectly pleasant but the wife and I were both paying £350 a month on travel which meant we could move back to London and save money, which we did eventually, let alone the amount of time we saved on traveling.

What the place really needs is a big employer close by, I think the local council are desperate for it but at present no takers.

You don't want to know how much money has been spent on chewing gum removal over the last 10 years.

Some streets in London are paved with it. Could be a plan to save on street maintenance.

Ashford hasn't got any worse, or any better than anywhere else. I've lived here a few years, and known the town for two decades, and in that time, its changed both better and worse, like everywhere else. In terms of the people who live here, there are five main employers : Saga in Folkestone, The Meat Factory, Pfizer (RIP), The Council, and London. Certainly, if you want a mortgage these days, you're probably paying an extortionate £5k a year to commute to London. Offset that against the house prices, and travelling time, and per minute and mile comapred to what you can get, it's the most affordable place. If I were in Ealing I'd pay at least twice what I'm paying here, and when I bought I paid £135k for a three bed Victorian Railway Cottage with 150ft garden within 10 minutes of the station. If I bought in Hampton Court that would've been at least £400k at the time.

Some Estate Agents have downsized : but haven't EA's everywhere downsized? And the shop that is closing this week is a bankrupt chain that is closing many many stores, not just the Ashford branch.

I agree. My post wasn't an attack on Ashford ... it was an observation on one town. I'm sure it's the same in Maidstone, Margate, and even Tunbridge Wells etc. :P