House Price Crash Forum

Wage Inflation For Rail Workers

HOLA441

Rail unions have agreed what they call a "groundbreaking" deal with Network Rail, which secures pay rises and other conditions during the 2012 Olympics.

The deal sees signalling and clerical workers being awarded a 5.2% basic pay increase, backdated to January 2010, for this year, and an increase of RPI plus 0.5% in 2011/12.

Some 10,000 workers will get a pay rise of around 10% over two years and some will get extra shift payments during the games, in the joint RMT-TSSA deal.

No staff can be dismissed during the games and disputes will be fast-tracked or suspended until September.

Network Rail said it was "great news" and the RMT called it a "good deal".

The deal states that both sides agree the "smooth running of the Olympic Games is in the national interest and all parties will take every measure possible to avoid industrial action during this period".

Continue reading the main story

“Start Quote

Travellers get certainty... and our people get a fair deal linked to inflation and recognition of the vital role they'll play in [the Olympics]”

David Higgins Chief executive, Network Rail

But the agreed wording also recognised that it was "management's right to manage and the trade union's right to withdraw their members' labour".

Rail, Maritime and Transport union general Secretary Bob Crow said: "This is a groundbreaking offer. The package recognises the important role that transport workers will be expected to play during the games and rewards them financially, while protecting their union rights at the same time.

"At this time of austerity we think that £500 extra payments and 10% on the basic represents a good deal and proves that strong union organisation can deliver for the members," he added.

Network Rail chief executive David Higgins said the agreement, reached after several months of negotiations, was "great news for the millions of people who will use the trains to enjoy the Olympics".

"Travellers get certainty that their journeys won't be disrupted by industrial action during the games and our people get a fair deal linked to inflation and recognition of the vital role they'll play in making this once-in-a-lifetime event a success," he said.

Edited by exiges

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

But hey, they're a hard done by sector.. surely we don't begrudge them an increase..

With an annual salary of £40,000 for a 35-hour week a London tube driver earns £10,000 a year more than the average London nurse.

HOLA445
HOLA446

£40k per year for operating a machine which does 2 things;

1) goes forward

2) stops

Slightly unfair... they need to open and close doors as well.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The reason none of you are getting 10%+ is that you can't even read.

Signalling and clerical workers do not drive trains, nor does any Network Rail employee.

And let's be honest, there's no difference between a signaller looking at a computer screen for 12hrs and an IT "expert", yet all the IT "experts" on here think they're worth 50 quid an hour :lol:

Edited by bingobob777

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

So these are the productive people that put the food on the table, bloody ridiculous. We are becoming a nation of system screwers, suers and overpaid public sector losers.

I'm not a friend of the RMT union but in this instance, I don't see what is outrageous about demanding that wages keep up with inflation. It's to be expected.

HOLA4413

Is that the same Network Rail that is currently in debt to a tune of over £100 Billion? The same £100 Billion+ that is held off balance sheet by the government, so it isn't included in the country's national debt?

Oh, yes it is.

Pay rise? No problem, just stick it on the tab.

This country is headed for the buffers faster than any of us imagine (see what I did there?!).

Edited by General Congreve

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm not a friend of the RMT union but in this instance, I don't see what is outrageous about demanding that wages keep up with inflation. It's to be expected.

Seems reasonable to me.

Don't see a problem with transport workers getting paid either.

TBH if I was in charge I'd have free rail/public transport for all and a MASSIVE investment in public transport infrastructure to cope. Sod making an operating profit, the business savings in losses to congestion would be worth it alone for the economy.

HOLA4416

Signalling and clerical workers do not drive trains, nor does any Network Rail employee.

And let's be honest, there's no difference between a signaller looking at a computer screen for 12hrs and an IT "expert", yet all the IT "experts" on here think they're worth 50 quid an hour :lol:

I think that the IT "expert" might be expected to do a bit more than look at the screen for his £50 or whatever an hour. Mind you, I have heard of someone who claims to teach IT when she teaches Microsoft Office.

HOLA4417

I think that the IT "expert" might be expected to do a bit more than look at the screen for his £50 or whatever an hour. Mind you, I have heard of someone who claims to teach IT when she teaches Microsoft Office.

The signallers, on the other hand, might be doing much less than that. There's an old-fashioned signal box near a cafe I visit occasionally. I've often seen the signalman there with his cup of tea and newspaper. About twice an hour a train comes along and he has to get up and pull a few levers (I appreciate that in a very busy location, in a large modern signalling centre there will be a great deal more to do, and it could get a bit stressful). Still, the old-fashioned bits all add to the character of the country.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It's a shame we cannot outsource their jobs in the same way then. Railway workers are slightly less intelligent than chimps. The head chimp, Bob Crow, hasn't even mastered basic speech yet.

I think there's probably more intelligence required building the signalling software than there is operating it.

This is yet another breakdown of supply and demand caused by the unions. The firebrigade is exactly the same; it's oversubscribed but that is not reflected in the salary.

Edited by Xurbia

HOLA4421

and the MPC still says there's no inflationary pressure in Britain. The cost of avoiding massive disruption is going to be large pay rises for strategically important groups: transport, energy, police, emergency services, and of course bankers.

There will be austerity and redundancy for some of course

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Interesting idea - but you are entirely mistaken about there being no difference between a user and an administrator of a computer system. The users follow processes to perform functions, however the administrators must be able to configure users, and diagnose faults with the system. As an 'IBM Certified Professional' I can tell you that the users are 50% of the time barely able to tell you what software they're using. The rest of the time the IT 'experts' in the user pool have cocked something up while doing something they shouldn't be doing, and are unable/unwilling to tell you what they have done.

So, In conclusion - would you rather pay 50 quid an hour to someone who can draw you a diagram of how the entire system hangs together, who can analyse and improve processes, configure new hardware additions, users, jobs, perform backups and take care of all of the other requirements of keeping an enterprise level system running.....

....or someone who can narrow mindedly interpret the data on a particular software screen, not be able to tell you if they're running Windows or Linux, and blame IT when their computer fails as they've been messing with the setup.

Annoyingly, I've only ever earned fifty quid per hour as a circus performer, and never in my professional career.

HOLA4425

I don't see much thwarting going on

He has studied at the famed Juncker school of politics in Luxemburg.

The only time they open their mouths is to create misdirection.

Edited by _w_