House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Babies Born Obese?

Liverpool Women's Hospital is asking obese mums-to-be to take part in a drug trail it's hoped will prevent their babies from being born overweight.

The latest figures show that almost half of women of child- bearing age are overweight or obese and more than 15 per cent of pregnant women are obese.

Here's the wail's take:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1384801/Pregnant-women-given-drugs-prevent-babies-born-obese.html

So how many people are fat because their mum was fat?

‘The problem of maternal obesity, leading to programming of future life obesity risk in offspring, and manifest by excess birthweight, is reaching epidemic proportions.

This is from july last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10781031

Obesity levels among pregnant women have reached epidemic levels, putting the health of their babies at risk, experts say.

The health watchdog NICE has issued new guidelines encouraging women in England to attain a healthy weight before they get pregnant.

Actually it's always the fault of the men producing fat spermatozoa. :lol:

For reference: 1kg of human fat = 7700 calories = 3 days of surival in a harsh winter. So, the Venus of Williamsdorf is a guideline first and artwork second.

For reference: 1kg of human fat = 7700 calories = 3 days of surival in a harsh winter.

How much for a pack at Tesco? The HPC survivalists need to know how much their neighbours are worth (in calorie terms of course)

Of course it is a bad thing, it means bonds sold on their future labour are going to be impaired assets.

Also for when the great war comes part 3 we need cannon fodder obese soldiers make massive targets.

Charge the parents with child abuse. Take the kids away. Give them to someone actually willing to put effort into raising the kid.

Job done. Everyone is a winner. Well - except the fat lazy parents to be. But who cares. ****** em.

Just recently over the last decade theres been a general trend to not induce women until the last minute. This means the baby continues to grow in the womb so that eventually when the hospital decides to induce, the baby is obviously going to be a big baby and in some case results in C-sections having to be given.

The last 3 babies born round here have all be C-sections.

They still only get 2 days in hospital .. Am sure it used to be more.

The last 3 babies born round here have all be C-sections.

They still only get 2 days in hospital .. Am sure it used to be more.

My wife delivered our second child on the 4th May by Caesarian Section... 9lbs15oz only 1 day before due date. Induction was only offered at the same time and not before so it was a no brainer really!

Liverpool Women's Hospital is asking obese mums-to-be to take part in a drug trail it's hoped will prevent their babies from being born overweight.

The latest figures show that almost half of women of child- bearing age are overweight or obese and more than 15 per cent of pregnant women are obese.

Here's the wail's take:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1384801/Pregnant-women-given-drugs-prevent-babies-born-obese.html

So how many people are fat because their mum was fat?

‘The problem of maternal obesity, leading to programming of future life obesity risk in offspring, and manifest by excess birthweight, is reaching epidemic proportions.

This is from july last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10781031

Obesity levels among pregnant women have reached epidemic levels, putting the health of their babies at risk, experts say.

The health watchdog NICE has issued new guidelines encouraging women in England to attain a healthy weight before they get pregnant.

There's a link between obesity, gestational diabetes and the propensity for their babies to be prone to type 2 diabetes later in life.

Not sure how this could be described as contentious outside of the usual HPC issues with secondary and tertiary inverted snobbery.

All very well knocking out drugs to stop babies getting fat, but when they are born, the baby fat is brown "puppy" fat aka healthy vitamin/mineral enriched fat.

White fat on the other hand which most adults carry around with them is harmful fat.

Are the drug companies trying to get babies sick now by removing their healthy brown "puppy" fat?

Edit:

Just recently over the last decade theres been a general trend to not induce women until the last minute. This means the baby continues to grow in the womb so that eventually when the hospital decides to induce, the baby is obviously going to be a big baby and in some case results in C-sections having to be given.

Maybe if the hospitals did their jobs better they wouldnt be giving cause for drug companies to create a new medicine and in turn more costs to the taxpayer!

My mates wife spent 2 weeks in hospital becuase they refused to induce her, so for those two weeks she not only tied up a bed but ended up having to give her a C section. Maybe if the baby was induced earlier on she wouldnt be contributing to the statatistics which present a false picture!

Not sure where to start here. Ill just ask: Do you know of any situations where induction could be dangerous for the mother?

This must be about those cutbacks we keep reading about....

The NHS is looking to save costs on stitching thread where they have to sow up the tears after the little bu££ers are born...... ;)

I am not a woman but the thought of having a needle anywhere near my rectum and other places would be incentive enough if I was of child bearing age......

They can have a stitch which helps, but also doing PC Muscle training helps restore things. If they can hold a pencil then they have a good PC muscle. ;)

If I put a pencil inside her and it just falls out, then there is no way I'm interested in her anymore.

Babies that go past due date begin to lose weight, the placenta is past it's best and doesn't perform as efficiently.

The stiches obtained at childbirth are quite often due to poor delivery practices, with midwives doing much better than doctors on the whole. It's not really the stiches that are the problem, it's the stonking great shears they use, some schools think it better to tear as it heals better, but is a lot less controllable so generally a big crunchy cut is made instead.

Fat babies generally come from fat mothers, maternal education on healthy eating clearly isn't working. I feel that's because they go all mung bean , tree bark and raw seaweed instead of workable long term diet improvements

Babies that go past due date begin to lose weight, the placenta is past it's best and doesn't perform as efficiently.

The stiches obtained at childbirth are quite often due to poor delivery practices, with midwives doing much better than doctors on the whole. It's not really the stiches that are the problem, it's the stonking great shears they use, some schools think it better to tear as it heals better, but is a lot less controllable so generally a big crunchy cut is made instead.

Fat babies generally come from fat mothers, maternal education on healthy eating clearly isn't working. I feel that's because they go all mung bean , tree bark and raw seaweed instead of workable long term diet improvements

And formula feeding certainly doesn't help matters either, when i had my youngest he was breast feeding every 2 hours for 10 to 15 mins nobody had any idea how much milk he was getting but were still happy that he was feeding so we were discharged.

The lady in the next room was told her bottle fed baby had to finish a 2oz bottle before they could go home, given the child's stomach is the size of a walnut, 2oz's is a massive amount of liquid, it was like foie grais for babies, revolving, but the midwives insisted yuk

We had to walk past all the mother's at Liverpool Women's stood outside with their huge pregnant bellies having a ciggie in their night clothes, bloody disgraceful, i'm surprised they are targeting obesity I'd have thought it was the least of their worries for the baby.

And formula feeding certainly doesn't help matters either, when i had my youngest he was breast feeding every 2 hours for 10 to 15 mins nobody had any idea how much milk he was getting but were still happy that he was feeding so we were discharged.

The lady in the next room was told her bottle fed baby had to finish a 2oz bottle before they could go home, given the child's stomach is the size of a walnut, 2oz's is a massive amount of liquid, it was like foie grais for babies, revolving, but the midwives insisted yuk

We had to walk past all the mother's at Liverpool Women's stood outside with their huge pregnant bellies having a ciggie in their night clothes, bloody disgraceful, i'm surprised they are targeting obesity I'd have thought it was the least of their worries for the baby.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13294632

My Brothers GF didnt like the (male) Dr who C-sectioned her at Addenbrookes. She felt he was very rough, impersonal and not really interested in anything other than getting the baby out to move onto the next one. Mid Wives on the other hand do seem more compassionate possibly becuase they can relate to the experience.

Isnt there an some sort of massage to help with dilation that mums can undertake to reduce ripping?

The old wives tale for inducing labour is sex, gin and a hot bath, although I can't personally testify to that.

But it may have some science behind it, sex would stimulate the cervix to dilate, alcohol is a smooth muscle contractor and a hot bath helps stimulate muscles. Would seem preferable to c-section or induction anyway, and at least you have fun while you're waiting! However I am sure modern midwives wouldn't prescibe it.

Aren't there also studies showing that people born in time of starvation, where mothers were hungry, tend to gain and hold weight more than other generations in similar populations?