House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bes

Is Any Publication Still Bullish?

I am delighted to see, that in sharp contrast to a year or two ago, the press now seems to be resolutely bearish. This week I have been reading very gloomy reports from both Moneyweek and The Economist on UK house prices (Moneyweek calls it the 'Houseprice Timebomb' and claims house prices are 'on the edge of a cliff'. The Economist indicates that even in 'gravity defying' London, non- superprime house prices have nowhere to go but down.)

I know a lot of 'middle-brow' media sources like BBC, etc seem to simply be telling it how it is, based on whatever spin Haliwide feed us, and offering no opinion whatsoever, and they may continue to do so indefinitely, but really I have two questions:

1) Out of the two publications I mentioned above- Moneyweek and The Economist (I am a subscriber of both), one of which is all about saving, investing, economics, and the other a high- brow well written newspaper, why has it taken them so long to see what has been blindingly obvious for years to may on this site now? are they just afraid of upsetting their readership? do they not want to say anything until they are certain they are right? or are they just not as clever as they like to make themselves look?

2) I do not really read British newspapers or watch TV, as I am usually out of the country with work, but is there ANY media source that is still talking up prices and ACTUALLY saying they expect prices to rise/ follow inflation?

The few homeowners in my age group i call friends are.

"prices cant go any lower"

"you should buy now, its a buying oppurtunity"

"looking at similar houses on RM i reckon ive made £100k in the last year" (pointing to property on RM thats been sitting Unsold for the last 3 years)

Daily Express can polish any turd* relating to falling house prices

(* which we all know is anything but a turd).

Sky News seem to be much more balanced than al jabeeba on HPs.

The day the Daily Express begs its readers to get out of housing is the day I will buy a house.

I'd leave it for six months later.

I am delighted to see, that in sharp contrast to a year or two ago, the press now seems to be resolutely bearish. This week I have been reading very gloomy reports from both Moneyweek and The Economist on UK house prices (Moneyweek calls it the 'Houseprice Timebomb' and claims house prices are 'on the edge of a cliff'.

Shouldn't that be 'cheery'?

Obviously the Daily Express.

I'm sure it's just a co incidence, but owner of the Express Richard Desmond (also owner of such quality publications such as The Star, OK and Channel 5. Not forgetting Television X and Red Hot TV) also owns 'Badger Property Partners', which according to the 2011 Rich List is 'worth £400m' and the express building is worth £100m. Combined that is over half his net worth in Property

That is one hell of a Vested Interest.