House Price Crash Forum

last winter a block of 16 flats was built on an old garage/lockups/arthur daily place opposite me(Glasgow).

midway through construction the builders had finished for the day and there was only a security guard in his portakabin,it was a particularly windy day and the whole lot was blown down,2 stairwells,one side built to 3rd floor other to 2nd . luckily nobody was hurt. after a short time they started all over again having cleared the rubble !

as they were building it i thought it was a strange method of construction but thought they know what they're doing !

they sold for up to £150K :blink: all sold off plan,wonder if buyers knew slight hiccup :huh:

now some have been on the market a good few months,and i've seen price cuts from original fixed price.must be get rich quick investors :lol:

this morning i awoke to a demolition team tearing down an old GENERAL GEORGE carpet warehouse on the other side of me.they've planning permission for 48 flats.hope there's no storms over winter ! :(

is no one buying carpets anymore?

Edited by rogerthelodger

last winter a block of 16 flats was built on an old garage/lockups/arthur daily place opposite me(Glasgow).

midway through construction the builders had finished for the day and there was only a security guard in his portakabin,it was a particularly windy day and the whole lot was blown down,2 stairwells,one side built to 3rd floor other to 2nd . luckily nobody was hurt. after a short time they started all over again having cleared the rubble !

as they were building it i thought it was a strange method of construction but thought they know what they're doing !

they sold for up to £150K :blink: all sold off plan,wonder if buyers knew slight hiccup :huh:

now some have been on the market a good few months,and i've seen price cuts from original fixed price.must be get rich quick investors :lol:

this morning i awoke to a demolition team tearing down an old GENERAL GEORGE carpet warehouse on the other side of me.they've planning permission for 48 flats.hope there's no storms over winter ! :(

I hear its gonna be one of the worst winters in decades. :lol::lol::lol::P

Was it timber framed?

I heard they are more commonplace in Scotland and Northern Ireland for some reason.

Was it timber framed?

I heard they are more commonplace in Scotland and Northern Ireland for some reason.

All new-builds in the UK (except for very expensive offerings from high-end developers like Charles Church, Octagon, etc) use timber-frame construction (ie timber battens and plasterboard affixed to them to form the internal walls). Barratt, Persimmon, Wimpey, they all use this same huff-puff-we'll-blow-your-house-down form of construction. A single skin brick facing forms the external wall, so people don't realise their house is made of matchsticks.

All new-builds in the UK (except for very expensive offerings from high-end developers like Charles Church, Octagon, etc) use timber-frame construction (ie timber battens and plasterboard affixed to them to form the internal walls). Barratt, Persimmon, Wimpey, they all use this same huff-puff-we'll-blow-your-house-down form of construction. A single skin brick facing forms the external wall, so people don't realise their house is made of matchsticks.

How many floors can they build using this method?

How many floors can they build using this method?

No more than 8. The timber frames can't take the weight.

http://www.trada.co.uk/topics/timber_frame/

Timber frame is not just for houses; it is being used extensively for flats, schools, hotels, offices and sports facilities. Buildings up to eight storeys high can be constructed and, like all methods of construction, conform to the requirements of the Building Regulations.

As for why they use it, it's cheap (and nasty).

All new-builds in the UK (except for very expensive offerings from high-end developers like Charles Church, Octagon, etc) use timber-frame construction

Rubbish, I could take you to half a dozen national and regional volume builder developements within a 10 mile radius of me that still use traditional construction methods. Concrete block inner skin with stone or brick outer skins. I'm not disputing the timber frame with outer skin cladding system is in use, just the fact that you mislead the board with the above statement. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to guess where this is.

Is it Dennistoun where a block of flats being built collapsed a while back and it was alleged at the time that they had been saving time by only putting every second bolt in to the frame?

Or is it maybe that development in the West End where there was a kerfuffle about building on the only free space in the entire area?

I'm intrigued.

As for timber-frame buildings as mentioned by others, I'm astonished that it is 'acceptable' to build these to 8 storeys. There are two chances of me buying a timber-frame property: none and feck all.

Is it Dennistoun where a block of flats being built collapsed a while back and it was alleged at the time that they had been saving time by only putting every second bolt in to the frame?

Or is it maybe that development in the West End where there was a kerfuffle about building on the only free space in the entire area?

I'm intrigued.

As for timber-frame buildings as mentioned by others, I'm astonished that it is 'acceptable' to build these to 8 storeys. There are two chances of me buying a timber-frame property: none and feck all.

Or is the ones out in Motherwell? Or was that a few years ago. Can't remember.

Yeah, tell all!

I hear its gonna be one of the worst winters in decades. :lol::lol::lol::P

If so, and we have a particularly icy/snowy Dec,Jan,Feb - would that be the last straw for many Estate Agents??

I'm intrigued.

yes it is Dennistoun,but i never found out what caused it.i always thought the wind caught the gable wall which seemed to have been built too high too fast.there's a couple on rightmove

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-873...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-669...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy