House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Richest Students To Pay For Extra Places At Britain's Best Universities

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/may/09/universities-extra-places-richest-students

Teenagers from the wealthiest families would be able to pay for extra places at the most competitive universities under government proposals that could allow institutions to charge some British students the same high fees as overseas undergraduates.

Candidates who take up the extra places would not be eligible for publicly funded loans to pay tuition fees or living costs, limiting this option to all but the most privileged households who could pay fees up front.

Under the plans, the extra students may be charged as much as international undergraduates. At the most competitive universities, these students face fees ranging from £12,000 a year for arts subjects to £18,000 for sciences and more than £28,000 for medicine. Applicants would be required to meet the course entry requirements.

The changes would give more students the chance to attend their first choice of university. At present, the government sets a quota of undergraduate places that English universities are allowed to offer each year.

So the rich get choice and the poor well we all know where they can go.....

So after all the complaints over the fees being £9k a year now it appears you can be charged more if only you've got the money. I wonder how long before these fees are charged to all and suddenly publicly funded loans are available?

Can one borrow £9K per year from the student loans company (SLS)?

How does the SLS raise money? Does the goverment sells bonds?

What if the bond holders realise the interest received does not keep up with inflation?

Is the BOE still buying its own bonds with funny money?

Don't worry, I'm sure the divide between haves and have-nots is not getting any larger.

Nothing to see here, these are not the droids you're looking for...

If they actually allowed extra slots in areas we have shortages in this could be a good thing. However I will believe that when I see it.

If they actually allowed extra slots in areas we have shortages in this could be a good thing. However I will believe that when I see it.

No, the able rich will buy their place from the very able not so rich.....

..... too many extra slots would dilute it, it would lose its exclusivity, less supply creates a greater demand therefore a higher price for those that can afford the price......because they are special. :unsure:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/may/09/universities-extra-places-richest-students

So after all the complaints over the fees being £9k a year now it appears you can be charged more if only you've got the money. I wonder how long before these fees are charged to all and suddenly publicly funded loans are available?

It seems like an ok idea to me if its limited to something like 10% and all money over the limit (currently 9k) is split between all universities, on the face of it this would allow the rich to pay for the less rich.

It seems like an ok idea to me if its limited to something like 10% and all money over the limit (currently 9k) is split between all universities, on the face of it this would allow the rich to pay for the less rich.

Yeah right. :lol: who will in their right mind pay £23k per year odd for a second rate university, rich or not?.....so you say the unis that gets the money will subsidise the rest, I don't think so. ;)

For the top Unis the current situation is that they do sell spare or extra capacity above the numbers that the govt says they should allocate to UK students. They sell them to rich foriegners.

What is the problem of selling the places that currently go to foreign students and selling them to UK students as long as the poor students still get there places in the numbers allocated by the govt.

And the man in charge of the department introducing all these fees.

Mr Vince "I am going to bash the bankers" Cable.

What a joke.

Agreed.

Cable is the biggest political let down since errrrr.............Clegg.

Zero cojones, zero principles.

Applicants would be required to meet the course entry requirements.

1. Fog a mirror

2. Daddy knows a Bullingdon Boy.

For the top Unis the current situation is that they do sell spare or extra capacity above the numbers that the govt says they should allocate to UK students. They sell them to rich foriegners.

What is the problem of selling the places that currently go to foreign students and selling them to UK students as long as the poor students still get there places in the numbers allocated by the govt.

What is stopping a rich UK student buying their place in a prodigious university overseas? ;)

Isn't this a complete non-story?

"Brits allowed university entrance on the same basis as foreign students?" Surely noone would've refused a qualifying student applying on that basis before now, either?

In my day at Cambridge there was a degree called Land Economy that was a standing joke: it was there as a way for the Bertie Wooster types to get qualified to take on the family estates!

What is stopping a rich UK student buying their place in a prodigious university overseas? ;)

Language Skills.

Although there are a number of European universities offering more courses in English, some of the older German universities require fluency in the language. You will take a test to prove it.

And strangely enough, the last government dropped a language requirement from the core school curriculum. A person said to me a few weeks ago, that that was deliberate policy - to stop the youngsters from moving to better destinations. I agree with that.

And on the point of cost : depending on which of the particular states you go to, the fees are either zero or 1K€. No comparison really.

9K GBP p.a. for Fulchester Uni or 1K for the Free University of Berlin. Hmmm, let me think about it.

They're all rubbish. (apart from Harvard of course).

Seems fair enough. What is the point in working hard to get more money if you dont get more choice as a result of that effort?

Seems fair enough. What is the point in working hard to get more money if you dont get more choice as a result of that effort?

Have the poor, little dahlings already been working hard to get more money then? :huh:

....as ever, money talks....the rich buy themselves even greater riches. ;)

This assumes that university actually leads to higher incomes & prospects.

IT CERTAINLY DOES NOT in the vast majority of cases

so let the rich buy themselves courses at Cambridge for 30k a year and leave having spent 150k on a piece of paper.

They in effect would be subsidising those who pay less

Hell for all I care let Cambridge/oxford sell their degrees for 150k no tests no lectures don't even need to turn up

Language Skills.

Although there are a number of European universities offering more courses in English, some of the older German universities require fluency in the language. You will take a test to prove it.

And strangely enough, the last government dropped a language requirement from the core school curriculum. A person said to me a few weeks ago, that that was deliberate policy - to stop the youngsters from moving to better destinations. I agree with that.

And on the point of cost : depending on which of the particular states you go to, the fees are either zero or 1K€. No comparison really.

9K GBP p.a. for Fulchester Uni or 1K for the Free University of Berlin. Hmmm, let me think about it.

Our poor basic education levels in this country and the lack of language skills will reduce many choices and opportunities for our youngsters that will have to make their own way in the new world. ;)

so let the rich buy themselves courses at Cambridge for 30k a year and leave having spent 150k on a piece of paper.

They in effect would be subsidising those who pay less

Hell for all I care let Cambridge/oxford sell their degrees for 150k no tests no lectures don't even need to turn up

It is not always what you learn....more like who you meet. ;)

Have the poor, little dahlings already been working hard to get more money then? :huh:

The parents have, and if they want to blow it on a university education, where is the problem?

The parents have, and if they want to blow it on a university education, where is the problem?

So you can't see any problem then? None at all? Interesting...

(edit: and I say this as a Tory)

Seems to me this pretty much cheapens the reputation of a university, if it is selling places based just on ability to pay obscene amounts of money.

Dumb and rich, no problem!

I wonder if the less well off could sell their places on E-Bay to the highest bidder.

So you can't see any problem then? None at all? Interesting...

(edit: and I say this as a Tory)

Reminds me of how it used to be at Oxbridge, with the wealthy paying for places with little need for academic ability.

Thought I'd put this link here.

http://www.centreforum.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=257:universities-challenged&catid=38:publications&Itemid=56

Interesting ideas...

Hm, would you rather be treated by a doctor who has a "piece of paper" issued by Cambridge, or one with a chit from Thames Valley? Thought so.