House Price Crash Forum

Uk Childcare 'among Priciest In World'

If you have two toddlers it is basically going to take one person full time to look after them, max 3-4 would be the limit , so you are in the position that to do your full time job you will need someone else to do a full time job looking after your kids, given taxes etc , you are going to be needing to make at least double average wages to make this work, it is pointless to expect the government to pay for this so you can work.

What the government can do however is stop paying single mothers to sit at home doing nothing for their money, but force them to go work in a creche or group managed child care so the provision can be done at a reasonable price .. There is a basic unmet demand for childcare which will release skilled mothers into the workplace, having all these other mothers sat at home on benefits is the real crime ...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have two toddlers it is basically going to take one person full time to look after them, max 3-4 would be the limit , so you are in the position that to do your full time job you will need someone else to do a full time job looking after your kids, given taxes etc , you are going to be needing to make at least double average wages to make this work, it is pointless to expect the government to pay for this so you can work.

What the government can do however is stop paying single mothers to sit at home doing nothing for their money, but force them to go work in a creche or group managed child care so the provision can be done at a reasonable price .. There is a basic unmet demand for childcare which will release skilled mothers into the workplace, having all these other mothers sat at home on benefits is the real crime ...

+1 The government make it very hard for single mums or dads to go back to work, the times I and many like me asked for some help were told by social services more than once to give up work and go on benefits, ha, ha they were happy to pay housing costs and living costs but were not at all interested in helping with some part time childcare costs at the time.... ;)

Guest eight

Ok. We have also made all alternatives to professional neurosurgery illegal, and while this creates a minimum (high) cost barrier it does at least ensure a certain standard of provision, protecting the users of that service. As our society becomes more wealthy we can afford to offer ourselves these protections in more and more areas.

Scary.

Just effing scary.

eight

What the government can do however is stop paying single mothers to sit at home doing nothing for their money, but force them to go work in a creche or group managed child care so the provision can be done at a reasonable price .

I agree that one women looking after one child is inefficient. However we are not in a position of labour shortages. Those mothers freed up would either sit on the dole or displace another worker to do so. The extra supply of labour would not effect wages since the majority of them would be seeking minimum wage employment. There are no advantages to state subsidized childcare since you would still pay dole to the displaced worker plus the costs of the childcare.

Perhaps it would be better to make child care even more expensive. The newly freed jobs could be taken up by the unemployed. The formally unemployed do something useful and the mothers do something useful too.

Regardless of the 'high costs' in the uk, there are plenty of people doing rather well for themselves. If one were to judge the state of the economy by the average car on Uk roads it would appear that there is still plenty of money swilling around. I cannot believe some of the cars I see on the road, its gotten to the stage where a Bmw is becoming a poor mans car. Sorry but I don't see much in the way of poverty out there.

The saddist thing is most of the 'career muns' I lmow would love to be able to give up work to stay at home and look after their own children. Heresy, I know.

One in particular feels deep regret that she missed her kids growing up. She is particularly bitter because she has just been made redundant from the career she worked so hard to build.

The saddist thing is most of the 'career muns' I lmow would love to be able to give up work to stay at home and look after their own children. Heresy, I know.

One in particular feels deep regret that she missed her kids growing up. She is particularly bitter because she has just been made redundant from the career she worked so hard to build.

And yet my missus knows several who claim they would not be able to cope if they had to look after their children full time.

Yes - very sad to suddenly find that the things that really matter have slipped by...but I guess we all feel that to some extent, because the work system puts us all under such pressure, just to survive.

We have 2 pre-school kids. My husband works full time and I work part time. Whilst I am at work, my children are at a wonderful, but expensive, nursery. They love it and I feel secure that there are so many staff there to look after them and they are never at a 1:1 ratio with an adult that I do not know well. The nursery also has secure finger print entry, full access to the carer's qualifications and back ground checks and a wonderful location overlooking the sea.

I chose to have my children and I chose to continue my career - I don't work because I have to (from a financial perspective). I do not expect any further help from the taxpayer (getting back to the original post) and I did the maths on whether or not we could afford the kids before they came along. Yes, I could do this cheaper but only by sacrificing quality of care and I would never do that. The children are my (our, actually, my husband would go nuts at that one!!!) responsibility and therefore we opt to spend whatever necessary to give them a good start. I do not begrudge one penny of my childcare costs.

Of course this means we rent a 5 bedroom house on a half acre of land (with spare cash to save for the deposit on our home) instead of struggling to pay the mortgage on a tiny ex-council property where we'd have no space to enjoy ourselves...

Ahh, the sacrifice of not owning a house ;)

My advice to about 95% of young women is just to go on the dole and have a bunch of kids. At 40 those career women will have paid a lot of taxes and paid a lot of middle men and earned the owner of the company a lot of money, but have little to show for it themselves.

The breeder mom won't have any money either but she will have an unbeatable legacy of her kids. As her kids get older there is plenty of time left in her life to work.

And yet my missus knows several who claim they would not be able to cope if they had to look after their children full time.

...lots of the mums I have talked to like the idea of working part-time once their children reach nursery age... keeping themselves up-skilled and their foot in the door so to speak.....then full time once they reach around the age of seven,

Some mums have never worked, either because they didn't want to, don't have too or, and it is surprisingly very common, would have liked to but their partners/husbands stopped them doing so. :o

Lots of mums once their chicks have fledged the nest and have become independent in their own right have then lost that purpose in life......there is then a need to fill that void with something. ;)

edited: to make sense. ;)

Edited by winkie

Ok. We have also made all alternatives to professional neurosurgery illegal, and while this creates a minimum (high) cost barrier it does at least ensure a certain standard of provision, protecting the users of that service. As our society becomes more wealthy we can afford to offer ourselves these protections in more and more areas.

I think - I hope - there has been a bit of a cultural shift in the past couple of years, which will soon lead to anyone making statements like this subject to immediate ridicule and censor, akin to the dog-whistle accusation of being a Daily Mail reader/Little Englander/Racist/Bigot/Evil Tory so casually and effectively deployed by the left for about the last 20 years.

I'm sure levoleurdefruits believes they talk on behalf of the 'progressive majority', a curt put-down whenever they voice their insidious ideas might at least keep them quiet away from Islington dinner parties.

It is the zealot mindset such as this that ends up manning the gas taps to the showers. Evil means are fine with them as long as the ends suit their ideology. The wires just are not joined up.

Looking after kids is not brain surgery. Don't let this type pretend they care about the chiiillldreen that they are happy to turn into slaves to keep their pan-state fantasies alive.

I think - I hope - there has been a bit of a cultural shift in the past couple of years, which will soon lead to anyone making statements like this subject to immediate ridicule and censor, akin to the dog-whistle accusation of being a Daily Mail reader/Little Englander/Racist/Bigot/Evil Tory so casually and effectively deployed by the left for about the last 20 years.

I'm sure levoleurdefruits believes they talk on behalf of the 'progressive majority', a curt put-down whenever they voice their insidious ideas might at least keep them quiet away from Islington dinner parties.

It is the zealot mindset such as this that ends up manning the gas taps to the showers. Evil means are fine with them as long as the ends suit their ideology. The wires just are not joined up.

Looking after kids is not brain surgery. Don't let this type pretend they care about the chiiillldreen that they are happy to turn into slaves to keep their pan-state fantasies alive.

Agreed - I think the fact that he/she believes we are becoming a wealthier nation says it all really.

That's just depressing. Things like that belong in prisons, or secret military bases. It's very sad when we feel the need to do the same to nurseries.

Didn't you read the post?

Clearly the nursery put it in as it becomes yet another reason to charge extortionate fees "ie parents feel more secure so pay more". Happy days all around.

Only works in a burgeoning economy, of course.

If Britain wasn't so dazed and confused with the financial fog of war perpetrated by the banks and political establishment, compounded with the nations lack of basic booking skill and immense selfish greed...

We'd all afford to have one of the parents be able to stay at home and raise your kids properly, and still have a decent standard of living.

Having the nation putting its children into the care of others of completely unskilled and uncaring hands shows just how far we have fallen down the social scale. It's even worse when you consider just how much people are willing to pay to avoid parenthood and responsibility.

Disgusting really, but then Britain does't exactly have a good track record with children.

Wasn't that long ago that kids were working for slave wages in coal pits and woollen mills, and they were constantly subjected to paedophiles in the catholic Church.

Regardless of the 'high costs' in the uk, there are plenty of people doing rather well for themselves. If one were to judge the state of the economy by the average car on Uk roads it would appear that there is still plenty of money swilling around. I cannot believe some of the cars I see on the road, its gotten to the stage where a Bmw is becoming a poor mans car. Sorry but I don't see much in the way of poverty out there.

A lot of it is MEWed. Those that havnt MEWed have use unsecured loans. It seems common for people to have a car worth their annual salary. Its one of the reasons so many people are £100 or less a month away from insolvency (see that other thread).

Nice to hear someone still has a lifestyle! :)

Where's the catch? Or if there isn't one, can I have an introduction to your landlord?

There really isn't one, except I wish I could afford this place as a home. As for the landlord, lives abroad, no intention of selling, rents cheap and called up because he was scared we were thinking of leaving! So, no you can't have him!

And don't forget, the lifestyle is only there because we have chosen not to plough all our resources into home ownership

Didn't you read the post?

Clearly the nursery put it in as it becomes yet another reason to charge extortionate fees "ie parents feel more secure so pay more". Happy days all around.

Only works in a burgeoning economy, of course.

Yes, you do feel more secure as a parent and of course the cost of the system is covered in the fees. However, it is nice to know that my kids are secure (the need for this is actually a poor reflection on society) and the system works both ways so I have the added peace of mind that the little blighters can't escape! (Joke - staff watch them constantly so not a genuine concern)

Unfortunately it is necessary to limit access to nurseries in this day and age and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a high tech solution in place. In an ideal world it would have been made in Britain and contributed to a manufacturing base too.

When your son get on a plane, do you want the pilot trained?

When your daughter gets in a taxi at 2am, do you want a licenced Hackney Carriage?

Why any different with their childminder? Genuine Q