House Price Crash Forum

Uk Childcare 'among Priciest In World'

HOLA441

Sky

Charities are warning that childcare in Britain is now so expensive it's becoming a luxury.

Statistics from Save the Children and the Daycare Trust show childcare costs account for almost 30% of the average two-earner household's net income.

Only Swiss and American families pay more.

Anand Shukla, from the Daycare Trust, a national childcare charity, said: "We frequently hear from parents who aren't working because they cannot meet these exorbitant childcare costs."

Clearly the answer is more govt subsidy to push the costs even higher. You need 2 workers to buy a house, pay the bills and then a huge govt subsidy to pay someone to look after your kids because of the high cost economy.

Yet another structural failure in the UK economy.

Edit meant kids not cuts, not sure what Freud would have made of that...

Edited by interestrateripoff

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yes, interesting that nobody from SKY or DAYCARE TRUST is suggesting that costs might be controlled in some way- just that government needs to pay more, borrow more, print more.

Nor any thought given as to why child care is so expensive: because those people providing childcare services need to borrow £1/4 million to provide a roof over their own heads. And that this is just reflected in the price they pass on to customers, and from there to the government.

This is further unravelling of the UK "economic miracle".

HOLA443

Yes, interesting that nobody from SKY or DAYCARE TRUST is suggesting that costs might be controlled in some way- just that government needs to pay more, borrow more, print more.

Nor any thought given as to why child care is so expensive: because those people providing childcare services need to borrow £1/4 million to provide a roof over their own heads. And that this is just reflected in the price they pass on to customers, and from there to the government.

This is further unravelling of the UK "economic miracle".

Minimum childcare costs are set entirely by government.

Minimum Cost of childcare = Min(Cost of government approved child carers, Minimum Wage Bill) + cost of land .

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

And yet, child carer always comes up in the lowest paid salary list.

In Spain we get full-time child care, for €120 / Month, and the quality is exceptional.

What ratio child: carers

What pay to the carers get?

Council nursery place was £50 a week back in the 90s.

I think the child minders up the road charge about £120-150 a week.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA447
HOLA448

Council nursery place was £50 back in the 90s.

50+ a day where we are in SW Essex. Wife earns (or did) 45k but after tax, childcare and commuting it leaves so little as to not be worth the sacrifice of someone else raising your child. And the nursery kids are badly behaved by comparison. We live on my salary now and even with it being high in NHS terms (still only half a GP salary mind) it's a struggle.

HOLA449

Sky

Clearly the answer is more govt subsidy to push the costs even higher. You need 2 workers to buy a house, pay the bills and then a huge govt subsidy to pay someone to look after your cuts because of the high cost economy.

Yet another structural failure in the UK economy.

Yup - BOTH Parents have to work like complete serfs just to "afford" their slave-box dog kennels - That is where we've got to thanks to the Banksters and their Pwoperty Investor friends......

I tell ye -- I am AMAZED their hasn't been a Revolution.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4410

50+ a day where we are in SW Essex. Wife earns (or did) 45k but after tax, childcare and commuting it leaves so little as to not be worth the sacrifice of someone else raising your child. And the nursery kids are badly behaved by comparison. We live on my salary now and even with it being high in NHS terms (still only half a GP salary mind) it's a struggle.

Its a double whammy for the economy because the productivity of your wife is lost. As with housing benefit, working people have to compete with people who are subsidised by their own taxes ...

And its not just HB and daycare supplements, energy and utility costs are pushed up by general benefit levels.

HOLA4411

Council nursery place was £50 back in the 90s.

The one we use is Privately owned. There are 15 children to one adult.

Meals are extra.

My son loves the place, and I couldn't speak highly enough of it.

HOLA4412

Why doesn't anybody seem to report on the msm that the high cost of housing in the UK is a major factor in why child care costs are such extortion, if we were not spending so much on housing we could afford to have one person in the household working while the other looked after the kids, for single parents the cost of childcare would then be massively reduced because of increased competition for their custom! Working soley to pay for someone to look after your child is a perfect example of this insane society we have created.

The child care "industry" is just another tumor grown out of the cancer that is the high costs of shelter in the UK today. :angry:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yup - BOTH Parents have to work like complete serfs just to "afford" their slave-box dog kennels - That is where we've got to thanks to the Banksters and their Pwoperty Investor friends......

I tell ye -- I am AMAZED their hasn't been a Revolution.... :rolleyes:

I believe the problem is people still believe what they have, allbeit crummy, is still worth something so they continue to bust their hump to maintain it.

In other parts of the world they are saying balls to this and taking to the streets.

When the fiat money system finally goes up in smoke I suspect we'll see the UK population on the streets, provided the food supply chain hasn't completely collapsed beforehand, leaving the majority starving to death.

HOLA4415

Its a double whammy for the economy because the productivity of your wife is lost. As with housing benefit, working people have to compete with people who are subsidised by their own taxes ...

And its not just HB and daycare supplements, energy and utility costs are pushed up by general benefit levels.

Leading to more and more people realising working is for mugs.

Leading to the fewer remaining workers having to pay even more taxes to support those who aren't working.

Benefits have been linked to CPI instead of RPI but CPI is 4% at the moment. How many workers won't get that good a rise this year so their living standards are futher reduced in proportion to those on benefits. Then the workers energy and utility costs are pushed up more by the general rise in benefits.

Welcome to the UK where the more you try to support yourself, the more the government will steal from you to give to those don't.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Let's not get this out of all proportion ...

It's not just house prices to blame. The primary culprit here is surely the Death by Red Tape of childcare in the name of child protection.

+1

Deregulation and allowing the formation of private child care groups (of parents) on a tax-free basis where only reasonable expenses are paid, or on a for profit basis but only up to 5 or 6 kids and where the person running it must be the parent of at least one of the children.

HOLA4418

Let's not get this out of all proportion ...

It's not just house prices to blame. The primary culprit here is surely the Death by Red Tape of childcare in the name of child protection.

I agree.....also, I would trust someone I have known and known the family for years to care for any child of mine without a crb check....than any childminder that I did not know with one. ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

+1

Deregulation and allowing the formation of private child care groups (of parents) on a tax-free basis where only reasonable expenses are paid, or on a for profit basis but only up to 5 or 6 kids and where the person running it must be the parent of at least one of the children.

+1.7

HOLA4421

The one we use is Privately owned. There are 15 children to one adult.

Meals are extra.

My son loves the place, and I couldn't speak highly enough of it.

That's illegal unless I'm very much mistaken.

IIRC the legal ratio is 1:3 for babies, 1:4 for toddlers and 1:6 or 1:8 for older children.

HOLA4422

When my parents bought their first house (v early 60s) they were offered a mortgage that assumed they'd have children and then be down to one salary - which was plenty to buy a family house. So when I burst onto the scene there was no financial need for my mother to go back to work.

Can you imagine the furore now if a bank looked at a young couple and said `you'll probably have kids so we'll base the mortgage offer on one salary' or `you'll probably have kids and that will reduce your income by £10k pa so we'll base the mortgage on that.

Once the system is in place it's nearly impossible to rewind though - the only way to make childcare cheaper is to relax the adult : child ratios and that would imply lower quality.

On a related issue, I've worked in secondary education - there is often a course called `Childcare studies' or `Health and social studies' or somesuch which is taken by, shall we say, the less academic (mainly) girls. Childcare /nurseries etc is the natural career progression. We therefore build in low quality from the very start.

Y

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Labour were spot on, every adult in the UK is clearly a paedo unless a jobsworth says otherwise

With all the horror stories coming out of nurseries in recent times it is clear that CRB has failed. Paedophiles characteristically look a like, evaluating the photos of the guilty printed in our papers. Clammy skin, bottle top glasses, acne, obesity etc etc

I'll be the judge of who can and can not be the guardian of my children thank you very much!

HOLA4425

[statistics from Save the Children and the Daycare Trust show childcare costs account for almost 30% of the average two-earner household's net income

There is more to that sentence than meets the eye.

That is, that once you have more than one kid the childcare is usually so expensive that it's not worth having two earners unless you enjoy the social aspect of where you work. One parent usually gives up till the kids are at school.

So that 30% is heavily skewed to people with just 1 kid, which really just emphasises how eye-watering childcare costs are. With just 2 nursery-age kids, how many families' second earners could pay 2 * 50 = £100 a day after tax out of one salary and still be worth working? not many (PS the childcare vouchers saves you about £150 a month in tax for two earners, so it's pissing in the wind basically)

That's illegal unless I'm very much mistaken.

IIRC the legal ratio is 1:3 for babies, 1:4 for toddlers and 1:6 or 1:8 for older children.

Was about to say.....

Edited by noodle doodle