House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

£10,000 Payout For A Green Home Revamp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385387/10-000-payout-green-home-revamp.html

Households will be given up to £10,000 to spend on home improvements under plans to be unveiled today.

The money can be used to install energy-saving measures such as roof insulation, double glazing and cavity walls.

But homeowners will also be able to benefit from desirable mod- cons such as under-floor heating and new efficient boilers. They could also get public cash to install water-efficient taps and showers, light fittings and draught proofing.

The Government says 14million homes will benefit. Homeowners will qualify if their houses can be made more energy efficient and energy costs can be cut, though not all will qualify for the full £10,000.

This will leave them with cheaper bills, warmer homes and potentially higher house prices.

I wonder how this cash will get wasted? How the hell does under floor heating save energy?

If you ever want a giggle ask the home energy gov organisation about insulating under floors. It really confuses them...

I love the idea of "water-efficient taps" ... They're ones that don't let any water out?

I think the water efficient taps are the ones I've seen in various hotels on my travels. You stick your hand underneath it expecting a gush of water and it seems/feels like the water is being forced out of little holes resulting in a mix of water/air. (About the best description I can come up with but I'm sure some of you may know what the hell I mean! :-) )

I think the water efficient taps are the ones I've seen in various hotels on my travels. You stick your hand underneath it expecting a gush of water and it seems/feels like the water is being forced out of little holes resulting in a mix of water/air. (About the best description I can come up with but I'm sure some of you may know what the hell I mean! :-) )

No i think they are ones that have been cut off at the mains

^^^ this. Water-efficient taps are the ones which mix the water with air so less water flows through per second. Most of the time it doesn't matter for washing your hands or whatever. Not the best thing for filling a bath though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385387/10-000-payout-green-home-revamp.html

I wonder how this cash will get wasted? How the hell does under floor heating save energy?

If you read the whole article, it sounds like it is more of a loan and you pay it off by, surprise, surprise, an extra payment on your utility bill. Wonder who stands to benefit the most from this? :rolleyes:

I think underfloor heating can be more efficient (than standard gas/oil fired central heating) if it is heated via a ground source heat pump. It depends on how your house is made, how big a garden you have, etc. though.

^^^ this. Water-efficient taps are the ones which mix the water with air so less water flows through per second. Most of the time it doesn't matter for washing your hands or whatever. Not the best thing for filling a bath though.

If you want less water coming out of the tap don't turn it on as much. I'm puzzled as to what's so much better about having the same flow rate with a bit of air thrown in unless you're trying to build a very old-fashioned mine ventilation system.

Anyone really think that cavity wall insulation is any good?

Lagging the loft. Great no problem.

Double glazing. Hmm, thick curtains can get the same effect.

Cavity wall. Even when its done correctly - and boy the cavity wall cowboys are as bad as the double glazing - whatever saving you make from the extra insulation is lost when the wall ties rust and the water breaches the inner wall.

If you want less water coming out of the tap don't turn it on as much. I'm puzzled as to what's so much better about having the same flow rate with a bit of air thrown in unless you're trying to build a very old-fashioned mine ventilation system.

I dunno, it's just that instead of getting a useless single trickle you get a broader spread of water/spray to use. Have you never used one of these taps, they've been around for ages.

Plus, you're also supposing that people actually give a flying xxxx about how much water is flowing through the tap. Most people just want enough to wash their hands/face and don't care whether they do that with more or less water.

Edited by efdemin

Anyone really think that cavity wall insulation is any good?

Had it done on a previous house (3-bed bungalow). Worked well enough to save £100 on annual heating bills at the time, probably 3x that now with the current fuel price.

Lagging the loft. Great no problem.

Double glazing. Hmm, thick curtains can get the same effect.

I've just installed 160mm of PIR insulation to make a warm unventilated roof design and fitted Argon filled double glazing, U<1.6. Now I don't need to heat the top-half the house (mansard roof, easy to insulate the 1st floor walls).

On the outbuilding I am renovated, the wall/roof insulation will be even thicker ~200mm (equivalent to 400mm rockwool). I don't want to have to buy lots of oil in the future. Insulation is cheap compared to oil

Thick curtains do not have the same insulation effect. Look up the U values and work it out. They would probably need to be sealed at the sides and over a metre thick to compared to double glazing that meets latest building regs.

Cavity wall. Even when its done correctly - and boy the cavity wall cowboys are as bad as the double glazing - whatever saving you make from the extra insulation is lost when the wall ties rust and the water breaches the inner wall.

Could be true.