House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mattyfc

Uk Retail Sales Rebound In April

http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/4141729/UK+retail+sales+rebound+in+April

The BRC-KPMG Retail Sales Monitor for shows April UK retail sales values were up 5.2% on a like-for-like basis from April

No doubt the BRC will be calling for higher interest rates now the economy is booming again? Somehow I don't think this will be splashed all over the news like last month's figures...

But this only off sets last months fall and April was the super bank holiday month with two four day weekends combine this with the good weather and it was always going to be a good month for the shops. Expect a big slow down next month though.

But this only off sets last months fall and April was the super bank holiday month with two four day weekends combine this with the good weather and it was always going to be a good month for the shops. Expect a big slow down next month though.

Sorry was being sarcastic. The BRC manipulate their own figures to protect their own interests. The y do not want an IR increase due to the knock on effect on consumption and HPI.

They have proved they will do anything to further their view hence when the Easter effected March y/y sales figure was released it was splashed everywhere as evidence to keep IR down.

Now the figure has rebounded and some they are still trying to talk down. Their agenda is clear though and it is shared with other parts of the media; Keep IR at 0.5% at any cost.

Other posters have asked before, and I still want to know the answer.

Is the "increase" measured by the sum of money going into the tills? If so, how much of it is due to inflation i.e. more money going into the tills for the same amount of goods, or even less, than during the same period last year?

Other posters have asked before, and I still want to know the answer.

Is the "increase" measured by the sum of money going into the tills?

I regularly answer this question on HPC - the 2nd time in 2011:

YES - no inflation adjustment - no pack size adjustment either (i.e. no account take if the pack size is reduced but the price remains the same etc.)

If so, how much of it is due to inflation i.e. more money going into the tills for the same amount of goods, or even less, than during the same period last year?

Latest annual inflation figures (if you believe them):

RPI 5.3%

RPIX 5.4%

CPI 4.0%

ONS Factory output inflation has been running in at 5-6% and factory input inflation at between 12-18% depending on measure...

+1

Next month when they have work more and have less time to spend and when they have less money to spend because the spent in in April.

I think the BOE inflation report (fan chart and all is due this week). There may even be inflation numbers due this week.

Firms are pushing through price rises but having to run and offer constant promotions to generate sales (constant sales, bog offs, buy 2 get 3rd free,etc).

Pay day was early in April.