House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timak

The Sir Philip Green Efficiency Review

http://download.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/efficiency/sirphilipgreenreview.pdf

There was a lot of hype at the time about how Sir Philip was going to sort out government waste yet it all went very quiet and the report was released with little fanfare.

The government seems to be ignoring it and I think it is obvious why.

I actually agree with most of the content of the report, and it is certainly how I would approach purchasing in government were I involved, but it pretty much destroys the agenda of devolving power and responsibility to the lowest local level.

It also completely contradicts most of the coalition plans for purchasing and redesigning services and is about as centralising and statist as it gets!

The old government used to commission expert reports then ignore them if they didn't say what they wanted. Seems the new lot are the same.

There was a lot of hype at the time about how Sir Philip was going to sort out government waste yet it all went very quiet and the report was released with little fanfare.

I actually agree with most of the content of the report, and it is certainly how I would approach purchasing in government were I involved, but it pretty much destroys the agenda of devolving power and responsibility to the lowest local level.

It also completely contradicts most of the coalition plans for purchasing and redesigning services and is about as centralising and statist as it gets!

The old government used to commission expert reports then ignore them if they didn't say what they wanted. Seems the new lot are the same.

:)

They're the same in more respects than this.

It would certainly be more efficient if we all avoided paying corporation and personal tax like Sir Philip!!!

Agreed - how on earth to Coalition can jusitify using this spiv......

It's ridiculous that a tax avoider was knighted. The fact that this fat piece of crap is so influential just shows how corrupt the politicial system is. Meanwhile the average British citizen, who cannot avoid being over-taxed, has to bend over and take it where the sun doesn't shine. Any talk of efficiency from the government is laughable anyway. They are the most wasteful users of the planet's resources there are.

I'm not sure that procurement's the right area to be looking at public sector savings.

Typically if they want to buy an interactive whiteboard for a school they'll get a load of quotes (as I think they're actually obliged to now) and go with the lowest. I think generally they will get as competitve price as you're going to get for an interactive whiteboard.

The cost-saving question that should be asked is do they really need the interactive whiteboard, at all, in the first place?

I'm not sure that procurement's the right area to be looking at public sector savings.

Typically if they want to buy an interactive whiteboard for a school they'll get a load of quotes (as I think they're actually obliged to now) and go with the lowest. I think generally they will get as competitve price as you're going to get for an interactive whiteboard.

The cost-saving question that should be asked is do they really need the interactive whiteboard, at all, in the first place?

But getting all those quotes takes a lot of time.

Far better to save the salary of the purchasing manager and just phone central supplies to get them in the interactive white board and not worry about tendering etc

There doesn't seem much point to me in devolving procurement of identical items. Large companies don't do this; they negotiate global or national contracts with major suppliers to get cost benefits from scale.

Why do the NHS need to choose locally to have 47 different types of latex glove etc. ? Why do the police all negotiate local dealer deals for vehicles ?

On a similar vein if I were the Treasury I'd have councils deposit all their spare money with the Treasury at an agreed rate (say 2% above base rate). That way the Treasury can borrow less on international money markets and councils don't take gambles with their reserves e.g. Icelandic banks etc.

Again large companies mandate their subsidiaries to pool cash centrally.

This isn't rocket science and would help to rein in the need to pay "top executives" in councils to manage risk.

But getting all those quotes takes a lot of time.

Far better to save the salary of the purchasing manager and just phone central supplies to get them in the interactive white board and not worry about tendering etc

I think the government used to have its own office supplies arm something like HMSO/Banner but it span it off privately as were a lot of the local authority education central supply operations.

There's also a issue with the centralising everything on ultra-low contract pricing will effectively mean large providers and will be contradictory to an official policy of opening up public sector contracts to SMEs.

I suspect the current situation is a result of deliberate decentralising and devolving budget spending locally after complaints on a local level of being unable to purchase outside of approved suppliers and ending up with unsuitable products.

Also there's probably a ton of barely viable office supplies franchises, employing half a dozen people, existing on the back of govt spending with them - I'm not suggesting this is a good thing but the politically it could be messy.

There doesn't seem much point to me in devolving procurement of identical items. Large companies don't do this; they negotiate global or national contracts with major suppliers to get cost benefits from scale.

Why do the NHS need to choose locally to have 47 different types of latex glove etc. ? Why do the police all negotiate local dealer deals for vehicles ?

On a similar vein if I were the Treasury I'd have councils deposit all their spare money with the Treasury at an agreed rate (say 2% above base rate). That way the Treasury can borrow less on international money markets and councils don't take gambles with their reserves e.g. Icelandic banks etc.

Again large companies mandate their subsidiaries to pool cash centrally.

This isn't rocket science and would help to rein in the need to pay "top executives" in councils to manage risk.

In fairness, on things like cars, it may well be the manufacturer who forces them to go through the dealer network and refuses to negotiate a set contract price with them. I think the Post Office is one of the very few fleets that deal direct with manufacturers but, certainly did used to, do all its own maintenance.

The manufacturer can't ruffle dealer's feather too much as it will be expecting them to do the servicing

It's ridiculous that a tax avoider was knighted. The fact that this fat piece of crap is so influential just shows how corrupt the politicial system is. Meanwhile the average British citizen, who cannot avoid being over-taxed, has to bend over and take it where the sun doesn't shine. Any talk of efficiency from the government is laughable anyway. They are the most wasteful users of the planet's resources there are.

Nonsense! Sir Phillip provides an almost inexhaustable supply of oil. Those sebaceous glands just ooze the lubricant needed to grease the palms, sorry, wheels of business. He is one of the few essential unnatural assets our nation has left.

I think one of Sir Philips point's was that you negotiate to buy a lot of whiteboards for all the schools and thereby get a bulk discount. However there is the potential for massive over buying.

Edited by Sir John Steed