House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid #FBPE#JC4PM#GTTO

Xbox360 Rrod

Happened without any warning. Is Microsoft the only option?

There are plenty of places that will sort it out for you. No idea if they are any good or not, I assume this one is out of warranty?

http://www.squidoo.com/xbox-troubleshooting-red-ring-of-death-fix

It happened to mine, rang Microsoft and they sent a courier to collect the next day. It came back a week later, work fine for about 10 minutes then the screen froze, not full on RROD but I had lost all confidence in it. I traded it in the next day for a PS3

I did by another 360 later and that one has been fine, I think the key is to make sure it is well ventilated, but that's a bit late for you.

There are plenty of places that will sort it out for you. No idea if they are any good or not, I assume this one is out of warranty?

http://www.squidoo.com/xbox-troubleshooting-red-ring-of-death-fix

It happened to mine, rang Microsoft and they sent a courier to collect the next day. It came back a week later, work fine for about 10 minutes then the screen froze, not full on RROD but I had lost all confidence in it. I traded it in the next day for a PS3

I did by another 360 later and that one has been fine, I think the key is to make sure it is well ventilated, but that's a bit late for you.

Mine went last year, drove 8 miles to the nearest DHL depot and as soon as I walked in the lady said "That is an xbox" pointing at the parcel under my arm.

Had it back within a week, watched it all online - it was still within warranty thought, just.

Apparently the new ones are more reliable. I am told, no idea if it is true, that if you send the old model back to MS for repair they stick the new model's graphic cpu in it.

You can log onto the xbox site and get a quote for out of warranty work I am told. At which point does it become cost ineffective though with new xboxes being much cheaper now.

I think the key is to make sure it is well ventilated, but that's a bit late for you.

It is/was, sat on its own shelf on a Kenmark TV stand. I don't think I could have done much more in that respect.

Don't think I can be arsed fixing it. Its a v. old one I bought used that I was told had been off to the MS repair centre in the sky previously. Last time it was in use, my son put a 2p coin in the disc tray so a few months later when I plugged it back in to get the 2p out it was RROD-ed. Only got it as insurance that my son would endanger my modded 'proper' unit - clearly a good call.

Its been ages since I've had a blast of something on it, I'd forgotten how much fun it was although I'm a bit behind the games curve, playing Batman Arkham Asylum and NFS Shift this weekend

Happened without any warning. Is Microsoft the only option?

Any hpc techies got an opinion?

Get yourself a rrod kit from ebay, make sure its one with nylon washers. They are simple to fix most of the time, plenty of guides available eg http://team-xecuter.com/install-rrod/. If it fails your only down £4ish so its worth trying, everyone I've known with this problem fixes it with one of these.