House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guinness

House Viewing Yesterday - Anecdote

I viewed a house yesterday in Glasgow which was listed as o/o 270K. Nice solid house but it needs total refurbishment as the decor is caught in a 70's timewarp and theres also one minor missing detail NO KITCHEN :)

The owner showed us around which was all fine and dandy and then we got to talking at the end when i mentioned that the near exact same house (with one extra bedroom) 3 doors away had sold for 242k a few months in March of this year. However the owner then continues to tell me that he would not sell at the price the one 3 doors away sold for as the lady needed a quick sale and the the price did not reflect the true value. He also said that she had been offered a higher value but had turned it down only then to have to accept a lower one lol . He also through in the usual "i dont need to sell" line as i dont have a mortgage etc along with some story of selling it to his son but he didnt trut him to look after the garden :lol:

Anyway i guess the point is that most of these sellers are still totally delusional. I now want prices to fall more than ever so as greedy fools like this get it rammed up them :)

I viewed a house yesterday in Glasgow which was listed as o/o 270K. Nice solid house but it needs total refurbishment as the decor is caught in a 70's timewarp and theres also one minor missing detail NO KITCHEN :)

The owner showed us around which was all fine and dandy and then we got to talking at the end when i mentioned that the near exact same house (with one extra bedroom) 3 doors away had sold for 242k a few months in March of this year. However the owner then continues to tell me that he would not sell at the price the one 3 doors away sold for as the lady needed a quick sale and the the price did not reflect the true value. He also said that she had been offered a higher value but had turned it down only then to have to accept a lower one lol . He also through in the usual "i dont need to sell" line as i dont have a mortgage etc along with some story of selling it to his son but he didnt trut him to look after the garden :lol:

Anyway i guess the point is that most of these sellers are still totally delusional. I now want prices to fall more than ever so as greedy fools like this get it rammed up them :)

He doesnt have to sell, and you dont have to buy.

I agree, it's when sellers really have to sell they will have to demand a price that someone is prepared to pay. Currently interest rates are so ridiculously low that even people who have taken out 10 times salary mortgages through self-certified loans can afford the repayments.

You fed his delusion by viewing the house. Why not phone up and say "I would be interested in viewing it if the vendor would accept £x". If the answer is they wouldn't accept then don't view it.

Last Tuesday I phoned up about a house on at £400k I told the agent I would be interested in having a look at it if they would accept £350k. Agent checked with vendor phoned back and said vendor is negotiable but only down to £375k do you want to view? I said no. Friday agent calls back and said vendor has thought about it and would now consider £350k would you like to view? So we had a look Saturday.

I agree, it's when sellers really have to sell they will have to demand a price that someone is prepared to pay. Currently interest rates are so ridiculously low that even people who have taken out 10 times salary mortgages through self-certified loans can afford the repayments.

Unfortunately very true. IR's are the final prop keeping this housing farce going but I expect we'll be saying the same in 5 years time.

You fed his delusion by viewing the house. Why not phone up and say "I would be interested in viewing it if the vendor would accept £x". If the answer is they wouldn't accept then don't view it.

"I hardly fed his delusion by going to view the house, ffs i'd never met the numpty before.

Why the hell would i make an offer or show my hand without viewing the property anyway ? I guess you only replied to highlight your own situation and give yourself a big pat on the back, well whoopie doo for you, aren't you a clever cloggs.

Were you prepared to pay offers over £270k or not?

What has you not knowing him before got to do with anything?

Anyone going to view it, is feeding his delusion. Isn't he only likely to drop the price if nobody views it or tries to negotiate it lower as a condition of viewing it?

What a joker. In another anecdote a mate of mine has been getting real angry at how much money just goes out of his bank account each month. 40 year £155k mortgage (!)... he's starting to see how futile it all is. Too late, should've listened to HPCers.

What a joker. In another anecdote a mate of mine has been getting real angry at how much money just goes out of his bank account each month. 40 year £155k mortgage (!)... he's starting to see how futile it all is. Too late, should've listened to HPCers.

40 years.... ouch....

+1,000,000

Buyer and seller enter into a negotiation. The seller wishes to get the highest price, the buyer wishes to get the lower price.

These are both reasonable positions and neither is "greedy" (or both are.)

In this instance the negotiation failed to reach a conclusion.

We on HPC probably believe that the seller's strategy is mistaken and he'd be better off closing a sale as quickly as possible before prices fall further. However the seller is permitted to think otherwise - and he is putting his money where his mouth is by following his strategy.

Anger at the foolish seller who refuses to accept the price you want to offer gains nothing. No doubt the seller is on a web forum somewhere complaining about deluded buyers, just as the OP is here complaining about deluded sellers. And despite our belief on HPC it is not completely beyond the bounds of possibility that he may yet find a buyer and prove to be correct.

I strongly advise the OP to simply forget this house. You think he wants to sell more than you want to buy. He thinks he called your bluff.