House Price Crash Forum

Off Topic - Folkestone

HOLA441
HOLA442

Am thinking of applying for a job there - HPs seem similar to where I am now (Shrops). Any body got any insights into what it's like as a town?

Some of my family lived there for a while about 8 years ago, most of it is very rough - quite deprived.

Obviously if you head out of town there are some lovely villages...

My 2p

HOLA443

Some of my family lived there for a while about 8 years ago, most of it is very rough - quite deprived.

My 2p

This.

The town itself is actually quite pretty but very run down.

However within 10 miles there are lovely villages, towns like Hythe which are very nice and the lovely Kent countryside. Plus of course you are 30 minutes from France so never have to pay duty on drink anymore :)

HOLA444

Am thinking of applying for a job there - HPs seem similar to where I am now (Shrops). Any body got any insights into what it's like as a town?

Good god, man - NO!!!!! What on earth are you thinking?????

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

lived there my whole life.

like many coastal ''port'' towns it is quite run down. the east end is shit. plus the old harbour area and old high street. But on a nice sunny sunday I don't mind walking down that way. Evenings and nights I wouldn't bother... too many chavs. The old high street has been ''developed'' for people involved in art and stuff.

http://www.creativefoundation.org.uk/

the town centre is pretty boggo for a rather run down area. you have all the usual shops that most high streets have.

The west end is much nicer, or the suburbs like cheriton, but only certain parts of it. Hawkinge is on the top of the downs overlooking folkestone. Houses are cheaper up there and there is quite a lot of new builds. My brother has a nice 4 bed detached with double garage there.

Hythe is very nice likewise with sandgate etc. Hythe has the longest recorded high street in all of england. Plus you have Hythe and Dymchurch light railway.

Canterbury is the place to go shopping and is about 20-30 minutes rive via country roads. very nice town.

Overall I think Folkestone is ok... It is a bit run down but if you live on the outskirts and not bang in the town rough area would be an ok place to live. I presume you are going to work for SAGA? they are the main big employer in the area.

HOLA448

Cokestone? yes, rough in parts but a pretty big town and the usual variations. As others have said, some nice outlying areas such as Hythe and Folkestone. Romney marsh is quite backward in regards to amenities but if you like rural seclusion it is great. Prices very cheap in Lydd and New Romney compared to the rest of Kent

HOLA449

romney marsh is a bit weird area. nice and rural but they are nick named the marshans and the lyddites.. bit lawless down there. Plus you get a nice view of dungeness nuclear power station! Plus i would be endlessly worried about it eventually flooding the whole area... as it is rather flat. Nice beaches though.

The roads down there are a ball acher though. not a quick route if you need to get on the m20 to head back up past london. whereas folkestone and the surrounding has great access ot the motorway.

HOLA4410

lived there my whole life.

like many coastal ''port'' towns it is quite run down. the east end is shit. plus the old harbour area and old high street. But on a nice sunny sunday I don't mind walking down that way. Evenings and nights I wouldn't bother... too many chavs. The old high street has been ''developed'' for people involved in art and stuff.

http://www.creativefoundation.org.uk/

the town centre is pretty boggo for a rather run down area. you have all the usual shops that most high streets have.

The west end is much nicer, or the suburbs like cheriton, but only certain parts of it. Hawkinge is on the top of the downs overlooking folkestone. Houses are cheaper up there and there is quite a lot of new builds. My brother has a nice 4 bed detached with double garage there.

Hythe is very nice likewise with sandgate etc. Hythe has the longest recorded high street in all of england. Plus you have Hythe and Dymchurch light railway.

Canterbury is the place to go shopping and is about 20-30 minutes rive via country roads. very nice town.

Overall I think Folkestone is ok... It is a bit run down but if you live on the outskirts and not bang in the town rough area would be an ok place to live. I presume you are going to work for SAGA? they are the main big employer in the area.

So, to summarise your post: The best bit about Folkestone is anywhere that isn't Folkestone...?

HOLA4411

LOL! I guess I am being overly harsh, but then you normally are in the area you live.

Depends where you live I guess! I used to live in Hythe so had the benefits of living near a larger town.

For me it is almost all as one as folkestone, snadgate, seabrook, hythe are all merged as one over time. I guess I just wouldn't want ot live in the east end of folkestone....

Bradmead village to the north of folkestone town is a nice location and was built in the 80's i think so is decent proportions.

If I was moving down i'd prob try and rent in sandgate as you get the benefit of a few nice pubs, the coast on your doorstep (really, I mean on your doorstep) and then you have folkestone to do your shopping etc.

I guess it just depends what you want in where you live.

HOLA4412

Nope - international NGO / charity. Precious few of these operate outside of London. None of them in the capital offer a wage that is remotely near what is needed to live off though.

HOLA4413

My 2p

We get quite a few people from that part of the country coming to live in Swansea because they say it is becoming rough.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Is there any town of say 15,000 ish that's somewhat respectable and within 30 mins commute to Folkestone?

I grew up in Kent, Chatham (aka Chavham) which was so rough that we used to think daytrips to Folkestone were going posh. Of course now I can look back and realise that they were also chavvy.

Get a map, find a suitable town within your 30 mins range, then check the wiki entry to research it/population etc but before that ALWAYS do a search on chavtowns website, it is very amusing if nothing else (unless you live in one, in which case it must be depressing to read of the local depravities):

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/2004/08/folkestone-in-kent/

HOLA4417

I have family down that way (St Mary's Bay) so I know it quite well. I agree with seb197, some nice areas like nearby like Hythe and the The Lees Cliff area is nice, other areas a bit run down. You've also got Dymchurch, Romney Marsh, RHDR light railway and Port Lympne animal park nearby, great for kids and all very picturesque in my opinion.

Personally I think that since the cross channel ferry port closed Folkstone has lost a lot of it's seaside holiday town charm and character. As seb197 says they've tried to re-brand the town with the 'Creative Quarter' and I understand that there are plans to regenerate the old ferry port and amusement park area into a marina / housing development. I think the guy who owns SAGA is behind this and the vision is to turn Folkestone into the new Brighton. There's also a new high speed rail link to London. Because of all this Folkestone has been touted as a property hotspot for quite a few years but I have my doubts.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I really like it there. The west end part of town is really pretty and up by the Leas. Sunday Times just did an article on it up and coming and all that. Fast train links to London and France. The new Brighton is being touted around but I have heard that said of Margate?????????????????????????recently.

HOLA4420

your best bet is to go down and have a look about.

like i said, i don't know what your situation is, renting, by yourself or family etc, but look at hawkinge, sandgate, hythe the villages nearby. The west end and other parts of folkestone like broadmead village, parts of cheriton etc are really nice places to live.

I have a friend who lives on royal military avenue in Cheriton. That is a nice road of terrace houses. May well be places to rent there and that would be a cracking location in my opinion.

I would personally stick to those areas as i don't like a long commute (ie over 20 minutes!!) You could try Ashford but that is just like folkestone really. Probably a bit worse.

HOLA4421

...You could try Ashford but that is just like folkestone really. Probably a bit worse.

I've heard there is quite a thriving rental sector in Ashford. Can't think for the life of me where I heard it, though....?

HOLA4422

All the Kent ports are 'rough'.

My favourite towns near there are Tenterden, Canterbury, and Rye in that order. It depends which side of Folkestone you'd be on, but if the Hythe side of Folkestone, then you could do Tenterden in 35 mins.

HOLA4423

I live in Canterbury just up the road and it's nice....

BUT! And it's a big one....

Pfizer, the largest high level employer in the area is in the process of shutting up shop and will be dumping over 3000 people onto the jobs market - most of whom will leave the area (myself included :( )

That leaves only one large employer locally which pays a decent wage - which is the one I assume you'll be working for???

But to be honest - Folkestone is a hole and will only get worse IMPO.

As a short term plan to further your career - go for it! If you have family I would forget it... There are plenty of quite nice villages in the countryside - but I would live in Canterbury but I'm biased. :D

Ashford has many cheap rentals :lol::lol: and Maidstone is not that far away which is immune from any falls in house prices....

B)

HOLA4424

I say it's not too bad. Lately a lot of effort has being put into renovating the seafront and the high street (Sandgate rd).

Sadly because of the "bad economy" many shops in the high street are now closed. Woolworths is now a 99p store.

You will find some areas in the east / harbour part of the town that are absolutely filthy (chavs, fly-tipping, potholes, unmaintained properties falling apart), but this has now become a country-wide tradition.

I really like it there. The west end part of town is really pretty and up by the Leas. Sunday Times just did an article on it up and coming and all that. Fast train links to London and France. The new Brighton is being touted around but I have heard that said of Margate?????????????????????????recently.

"LONDON BUYERS" is printed on top of the weekly leaflet from the local EAs, who apparently have millions of London customers eager to buy property in Folkestone, a result of the high speed train linking Folkestone and London.

HOLA4425

Well, I'll get my application in. If I make it to the interview stage then I'll see what the town is like. There will be second interviews too, so I'll still have time to mull it over.

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts - a much larger response than I imagined!