House Price Crash Forum

Have Your Wages Really Gone Up In Recent Years?

HOLA441

Hi All,

I was checking how various prices had inflated the other day using this Inflation Calculator and I thought i'd stick the salary of my current job in from when I started almost 10 years ago.

I was suprised to see it return almost to the penny what my current salary is.

So considering in the last 10 years tax and stealth tax has increased, if my salary has effectively remained static due to inflation it's not suprising I actually feel less well off as the government is now taking a bigger slice.

I'm an IT professional (25 years experience) currently with a large global company and I didn't think I was on a particularly great salary (happy enough though as I only have a 5 minute commute) but having recently been looking at what jobs are available I haven't seen anything out there paying close to what I get (except obviously in London). :o

How have the rest of you done? Have your salaries also been static compared to inflation or better or worse?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Mine is much higher, nearly double in real terms according to that calculator, over the last 10 years. That's mostly because I have advanced quite a bit in my career and made some correct choices in terms of which job I took on.

I personally think inflation is much higher than official figures so my pay rise is not as good as it would seem.

HOLA444

Hi All,

I was checking how various prices had inflated the other day using this Inflation Calculator and I thought i'd stick the salary of my current job in from when I started almost 10 years ago.

So considering in the last 10 years tax and stealth tax has increased, if my salary has effectively remained static due to inflation it's not suprising I actually feel less well off as the government is now taking a bigger slice.

I'm an IT professional (25 years experience) currently with a large global company and I didn't think I was on a particularly great salary (happy enough though as I only have a 5 minute commute) but having recently been looking at what jobs are available I haven't seen anything out there paying close to what I get (except obviously in London). :o

How have the rest of you done? Have your salaries also been static compared to inflation or better or worse?

Much worse. About 40% less well off..

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Hi All,

I only started full time work in 2006 and my wage has gone up 100% since then, plus the last 2 years I have had 10% wage increases every year, which seems good. On the other hand I currently dont get paid enough to live with the misses and save so we are both living with our parents to save money, which isnt good.

HOLA448

2001: £36k (£44.6k in todays money according to that inflation calculator)

2011: £60k - because I studied ******ing hard and worked hard for promotions + I do a much harder job now.

So I earn more.

Saying that, I get raped on TAX, both both overt (40% bracket, more NI) and covert (petrol, food, insurance), so it feels like I earn less.

Still, my houses value doubled in that timeframe, so I should be happy right :/

HOLA449

I remember the first time I cleared over a grand a month, I think it was '94. I was in a shared house with some mates, and my monthly living expenses came to about £200 pm.

I don't think I've felt richer since. :(

HOLA4410

2011: £60k - because I studied ******ing hard and worked hard for promotions + I do a much harder job now.

So I earn more.

Saying that, I get raped on TAX, both both overt (40% bracket, more NI) and covert (petrol, food, insurance), so it feels like I earn less.

Everybody is comparing discretionary incomes, right...? :unsure:

HOLA4411

My impression is that IT salaries have stagnated since the dot.com boom (and if you were not part of that boom then since the late 90s) and dropped in real terms.

HOLA4412

1985 to 1998 = 23 years.............For my wage to stay with inflation in this 23 year period of time, i would have needed a 4% rise per annum actual pay rise.

Funny thing is, savings rates have matched the inflation in this period, if i had £450.00 in 1985, today it would be worth £1166.00 if it had kept pace with inflation. Savings rates at 20% tax have matched RPI.

Divide the £450.00 by 2.3 = £...195.65......Divide £1166.00 by 2.3 = £506.95

Same job wage in 1985 = 195.00........wage in 2008 = £400.00

http://swanlowpark.co.uk/bank0604.jsp

2008 5.00

2007 5.55

2006 4.68

2005 4.92

2004 4.56

2003 3.73

2002 4.00

2001 4.50

2000 5.00

1999 4.25

1998 6.00

1997 5.65

1996 4.75

1995 5.53

1994 5.31

1993 5.82

1992 8.65

1991 11.37

1990 14.23

1989 12.02

1988 9.68

1987 10.54

1986 8.75

1985 7.57

Edited by Panda

HOLA4413

Everybody is comparing discretionary incomes, right...? :unsure:

My disposable income has probably tripled or quadrupled in real terms over the last 5 years or so. Not only have I become increasingly tight as I grow older, I've found that partnership with another person helps bring costs down significantly.

HOLA4414

My disposable income has probably tripled or quadrupled in real terms over the last 5 years or so. Not only have I become increasingly tight as I grow older, I've found that partnership with another person helps bring costs down significantly.

Quite a way above the inflation-alone figure, although 10 years ago I was only just starting work. Feels like more as well, I'm living in a much nicer place, not driving a pokey ancient wreck, and don't usually think about the cost of anything I buy other than the most expensive items (but I've never been much of a big spender anyway). Still not enough to put me into paying higher rate tax, but if house prices weren't stupid I'd be perfectly happy with my income and how its changed.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So I earn more.

...so are you happier than you were in 2001? ;)