House Price Crash Forum

Halifax Hpi Figure Out At 8Am...-1.4% M.o.M

HOLA441

The kitty has definately bounced and is now on it's trajectory towards the 2009 floor again. We will be back to 2004 prices in a few months. The PTB bankrupted the country in order to get this kitty to bounce in 2009-10. Was it really worth it???

well he got a few days extra in office while the cons shagged the lib dems. :huh:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

So ...

Apr-11 -1.4

Apr-10 -0.1

Apr-09 -1.7

Apr-08 -1.3

Apr-07 +1.1

And ...

May-11 ?

May-10 -0.4

May-09 +2.6

May-08 -2.4

May-07 +0.3

Looks like May-11 will either be downwards pressure as per 2007 / 2008 / 2010 or a bounceback as per 2009 ... however, in 2009 were we not seeing the immediate effects of the drop in the base rate from 5.0 to 0.5%? I don't want to jinx it but another drop of -1.0 or more in May-11 would certainly indicate something good is starting to happen ...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The news channel mentioned it at about 5:40pm...

They will have just stuck it in there to counter any challenges of bias that others may bring. And I don't think that is being all TFH or anything. With all the different media today - internet - news 24. Actually proving their bias would be pretty much impossible IMO. You would basically have to work full time to watch every single thing they produce 24 hours per day.

I think a thread tracking BBC bias might be an idea.

As above.

HOLA447

In the last week several EAs have been telling me that the good weather has put people off viewing houses.

Not according to RICS.

BBC: Sunny weather 'encourages house buyers' says Rics

Funnily enough, this feel-good headline - and this one: Retail sales rebound in April heat and holidays - feature more prominently on the BBC website today than the Halifax report did yesterday... :rolleyes:

HOLA448

In the last week several EAs have been telling me that the good weather has put people off viewing houses.

For most of the winter they have been telling me that the bad weather puts people off viewing houses.

They must all be holding on for dear life for some sort of Goldilocks Event where the exact conditions exist for every first time buyer to simultaneously view a house and get a 125% mortgage.

HOLA449

Not according to RICS.

BBC: Sunny weather 'encourages house buyers' says Rics

Funnily enough, this feel-good headline - and this one: Retail sales rebound in April heat and holidays - feature more prominently on the BBC website today than the Halifax report did yesterday... :rolleyes:

Another bull shit BBC headline. There were no more buyers this month than last according to the RICS survey, the balance was 0.

HOLA4410

For most of the winter they have been telling me that the bad weather puts people off viewing houses.

It's quite simple.... house selling, house buying, and shopping of any kind can only occur under the following conditions:

Temperature = 15 to 16 degrees

Wind = slight breeze at most

Precipitation = occasional rain shower to give the garden a drink, but nothing too severe

Anything more extreme than that and everything grinds to a halt.

In addition, any random factor can be used after the event, to explain/justify unusual buying/selling/shopping habits. Factors may include:

Religious festivals being unusually early/late in the year

Excessive bank holidays

Major TV events such as X Facor on Ice

:D

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Another bull shit BBC headline. There were no more buyers this month than last according to the RICS survey, the balance was 0.

Media outlets now need to be careful with what they report. Didn't someone on here quite recently have a PCC investigation upheld against biased reporting of property prices in a major daily newspaper? The newspaper was forced to print an addendum about the way the figures were compiled.

HOLA4413

Media outlets now need to be careful with what they report. Didn't someone on here quite recently have a PCC investigation upheld against biased reporting of property prices in a major daily newspaper? The newspaper was forced to print an addendum about the way the figures were compiled.

Correct - printing a press release (from Zoopla?) that said buying was better than renting, without clarifying that the figures they were quoting referred to an IO mortgage.

HOLA4414

I've been scanning detached houses under 325k in fy8 for a while and since before Easter the same few houses have shown under offer but no movement. Anyway as someone on this thread suggested the Halifax index this month could result in under offers becoming available again I checked today and low and behold

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23962258.html

is available again. I would imagine it was under offer to a builder or developer too. Also several reductions in price over 24 hours. Has anyone else seen the 'Halifax Effect' today?

HOLA4415

I've been scanning detached houses under 325k in fy8 for a while and since before Easter the same few houses have shown under offer but no movement. Anyway as someone on this thread suggested the Halifax index this month could result in under offers becoming available again I checked today and low and behold

http://www.rightmove...y-23962258.html

is available again. I would imagine it was under offer to a builder or developer too. Also several reductions in price over 24 hours. Has anyone else seen the 'Halifax Effect' today?

The idea that two semi`s knocked into one in an unremarkable built up area should fetch 300k shows the depths of uk property madness IMO. For 300k I don`t want drunks falling into my garden of an evening or kids sitting on my wall smoking and making a general c*unt of themselves.

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4416

....who needs to view these days unless ready and willing to go......the internet, google and the price paints a truer picture.........not so many nosy viewers, all show and no substance with nothing better to do more like......maybe owning a house has lost some of its attraction. ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

That is a fascinating thought - little sign of it in my area though. Has it been covered much in the newspapers today, so it might take a few days to trickle through?

It will definitely take a few days (or a week?) to trickle through - how many sellers would phone up the EA as soon as it opened after a bad set of figures, would the EA even update the figures the same day especially as they may take Monday off if they have worked Sat or Sunday. Some may only drop the asking price if they see others doing it - i.e. they see price drops in the EAs window at the weekend then decide to drop theirs.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425