House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Bart'

London Underground Question

This may be a silly question but if a tube service has a "replacement bus service" for part of the route, is this a special service laid on by London Underground (i.e. not a regular bus service)?

Presumably daily Travelcards are accepted on this bus?

There's a service like this next week between Earl's Court and Kensington (Olympia).

As I say, probably a silly question but I like to know as much as possible in advance.

This may be a silly question but if a tube service has a "replacement bus service" for part of the route, is this a special service laid on by London Underground (i.e. not a regular bus service)?

There's a service like this next week between Earl's Court and Kensington (Olympia).

As I say, probably a silly question but I like to know as much as possible in advance.

It's laid on by LU. Travelcards are accepted - however, paper travelcards are accepted on regular bus services as well. Just show it to the driver when you get on.

Anyway - I've been on hundreds of replacement bus services, and have never once had my ticked checked.

And TBH I'd walk to Olympia from Earls Court. Takes about 5 minutes.

It's laid on by LU. Travelcards are accepted - however, paper travelcards are accepted on regular bus services as well. Just show it to the driver when you get on.

Anyway - I've been on hundreds of replacement bus services, and have never once had my ticked checked.

And TBH I'd walk to Olympia from Earls Court. Takes about 5 minutes.

Yes it always seems to be a free for all on replacement services. The only thing you need to check is whether they stop at all the bus stops along the route, or only at the tube stations - it never seems quite clear.

TFL gets all sorts of odd vehicles for replacement services - a lot of them are privately owned by bus enthusiasts. For a while near me on the A1 through Highgate an RT type bus (forerunner of the Routemaster) from the 1940s was on replacement service, it was strange to see all the modern trendies with their mobiles and trainers piling on to it...

Cheers guys, I (and my travelling companions) will be much reassured by the above.

I like the idea of a classic bus as a replacement bus. I always travel by tube when I visit London so it's been 30 years since I was last on a Routemaster. And now I guess they're just limited to the sightseeing tours.

Cheers guys, I (and my travelling companions) will be much reassured by the above.

I like the idea of a classic bus as a replacement bus. I always travel by tube when I visit London so it's been 30 years since I was last on a Routemaster. And now I guess they're just limited to the sightseeing tours.

Not true. I'm happy to report that the 15 frequently runs a Routemaster between Trafalgar Sq past Aldwych and St Pauls to Tower Hill. :)

Not true. I'm happy to report that the 15 frequently runs a Routemaster between Trafalgar Sq past Aldwych and St Pauls to Tower Hill. :)

Excellent! I thought they'd been done away with completely because of things like lack of disabled access.

When they were selling them off I realized that I could actually afford my own Routemaster.

Shame I live in a flat and can't drive.

Excellent! I thought they'd been done away with completely because of things like lack of disabled access.

When they were selling them off I realized that I could actually afford my own Routemaster.

Shame I live in a flat and can't drive.

There's a wealthy family living in West London who have a Routemaster sitting in the grounds outside their mansion. They use it as a play area for the kids.

9 & 15 are on the Heritage route, correct? It's there for anyone who wants to experience a bit of history, and go on a Routemaster. I went on it last year actually, after a visit to the Transport Museum. I'm not a train spotter type, but just felt in the mood for it that day. I'd recommend the Transport Museum to anyone who likes London.

i was a conductor on a routemaster during the summer holidays from college many moons ago, not in London though :)

When bus deregulation kicked in, Routemasters could be seen in various unlikely places.

I seem to remember this one in Sheffield that was bright yellow.

109CLTapril1990.jpg

I saw a Routemaster in the middle of nowhere driving down Highway 1 between San Francisco and LA earlier this year... :blink:

That must have been pretty surreal.

TBH, from Earls Court to Olympia is about a fifteen minute walk.

Yep, you can buy one for around £8k, drive on your car licence, no roadtax as they are over 25 years old and you can carry up to 10 non paying passengers IIRC. ;)

Yep, you can buy one for around £8k, drive on your car licence, no roadtax as they are over 25 years old and you can carry up to 10 non paying passengers IIRC. ;)

ok, I want one for my weekend jaunts. What's the mpg? :lol: