House Price Crash Forum

Went in to tesco last night to fill up my tank...£1.36 a litre!!!

This has gone up 6p a litere since the budget and has gone up about 33% in a year or so.

This is getting a joke, it's costing me £70 quid a week to fill up now.

I stand at the pump shaking my head at the price, wondering why there isnt protests outside each station.

This must be having a real impact on people's finances and lives.

This should be the main agenda of the political classes right now, not libya, nor AV, nor anything else.

If this is a result of the BoE policy they should change their policy immediuately.

Enough is enough.

This has gone up 6p a litere since the budget and has gone up about 33% in a year or so.

I stand at the pump shaking my head at the price, wondering why there isnt protests outside each station.

This should be the main agenda of the political classes right now, not libya, nor AV, nor anything else.

If this is a result of the BoE policy they should change their policy immediuately.

Enough is enough.

X Factor starting soon no one can commit themselves this is the big one

With any luck it should start falling in price shortly. There seems to be a bit of a commodity meltdown going on at the moment.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2011/05/crude-heads-for-biggest-weekly-drop.html

uh no, drop in the ocean my friend merely a blip

just check out the rates at which the indo chinese economies are still growing and how far they have to go to match the west, GDP per capita is a good indicator.

Yeah, it's still far too cheap.

We only get to see real benefits if it rises to a point where it begins to overcome selfishness. Then for a start we could save the £20 billion a year lost to congestion by road hauliers. And the ills of social exclusion of anyone who doesn't drive. Etc.

[edit - add links]

Edited by porca misèria

Rising petrol prices are good for the economy.

They allow petrol station owners to against their business and invest in the economy.

Also, they encourage aspiration and generate wealth.

Enough is enough.

The oil price is down 15-20% over the last week which probably means a 4-5% reduction in the pump price once it filters through in a few weeks. Assuming oil does not rise, or more likely fall. I think Brent will go back to $80-90, another 10-20% fall eventually which may mean petrol prices fall a further 5-10% also.

I think its expensive but then I realise the roads are jam packed with cars. I see people who look physically able driving 100m to the train station or shops

Now every journey is being assessed as important or not. The majority of sheeple will continue to drive long and far, until they or bank balances break.

Far better to prepare for the long term by adjusting driving / travel habits now, rather than when the situation reaches breaking point.

i love saying to people great news about petrol going up, as it is always good news to most about house prices going up,

i am hoping petrol will be £2 a litre in a couple of years,

you don't have to hope, it's guaranteed, since when has petrol ever gone down apart from in very short lived bursts.

So a rounding error compared to the income tax you pay, and small compared to the additional deficit the government generate on your behalf? Just why would anyone in employment care about the cost of petrol if they happily ignore the other two?

I would be in favor of substantially increasing the tax on petrol, so it costs over £2. It would reduce traffic jams, affect people with gas guzzling MEWed cars lots more than me, and the additional tax would hopefully help do something about the deficit that will otherwise turn the place into another Greece, except with crap weather. And it might require an increase in interest rates if it should cause inflation.

So a rounding error compared to the income tax you pay, and small compared to the additional deficit the government generate on your behalf? Just why would anyone in employment care about the cost of petrol if they happily ignore the other two?

I would be in favor of substantially increasing the tax on petrol, so it costs over £2. It would reduce traffic jams, affect people with gas guzzling MEWed cars lots more than me, and the additional tax would hopefully help do something about the deficit that will otherwise turn the place into another Greece, except with crap weather. And it might require an increase in interest rates if it should cause inflation.

Do you get travel expenses by any chance?.....some I hear are getting 60p odd per mile....the more the merrier. ;)

Do you get travel expenses by any chance?.....some I hear are getting 60p odd per mile....the more the merrier. ;)

No, unfortunately. I do about 10k miles a year in a sensible supermini, all paid for out of taxed income.

No, unfortunately. I do about 10k miles a year in a sensible supermini, all paid for out of taxed income.

...rising fuel/oil costs will affect your standard of living, don't think further increases in tax will reduce the deficit, it might only help slow it down, nothing will reduce the deficit it will and does continue to increase every year along with everything else...your tax, the extra tax you pay only gets transferred to pay for someone elses' expenses/living costs. ;)

Enough is enough.

I'd rather be taxed on consumption than earnings

I would be in favor of substantially increasing the tax on petrol, so it costs over £2. It would reduce traffic jams, affect people with gas guzzling MEWed cars lots more than me.......................................

No. There are 2 obsessions in this country. Houses and cars. It would take a lot more than petrol at 2 quid to make a truly noticeable difference.