House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Car Sales Down For 10Th Month

Passat and Golf at 9 and 10 with about 5,000 sales between them, some money about, but not earth shattering really. Think you need to look at company car registrations to see what is going on in the mix.

Bottom line though, numbers are down.

No shock there. The buyers are those with hefty bonuses that will still fund a middle class existence with cars and holidays just not yachts and helicopters anymore. I wouldnt take this as a sign that there is still plenty of money about though since I doubt that more than a few of the new cars that I have seen were bought cash - borrowing to buy a car doesnt mean there is more money - just more debt and stupid people.

I wonder how many actually buy the car completely, as opposed to going into debt to pay for it (effectively leasing it)?

Anyone who takes on (large scale) debt to buy a car needs their head examined.

Could be my imagination but when i phoned my local VW dealer yesterday the lady who answered sounded quite excited at first then when i asked for parts she sighed "ahh ok putting you through" I thought then she was probably hoping i'd be wanting to pay £25 thousand pounds for something that would loose half it's price the minute i'd bought it rather than buying one from a muppet who'd bought a new one a minute ago. Probably was looking at this.

Well, the car manufacturers don't have much to worry about.

Their finance wings are protected by their constituent states, and they've engineered their vehicles to have relatively short lifespans.

How can you lose when you have the likes of GM, who go bankrupt, recapitalize with state funding, re-float an IPO, tank, repeat...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13310841

These figures seem pretty positive to me

Fleet sales of 25 or more cars to big companies were up by 6.5%. Business sales to smaller firms of 24 or fewer cars were up by 12.1%.

According to the SMMT, the market overall was 1.5% ahead of the industry forecast and, if scrappage sales were taken out of calculations, it was on a par with last year.

The SMMT has also published the latest figures on commercial vehicle sales. These show that total van and truck registrations in April rose by 24.1% to 21,578.

"If you look at commercial vehicles we've seen sustained increases in the purchase of light vans and heavy trucks really over the course of the last year.

"I think that does suggest that there is a strengthening business recovery and I believe that will begin to feed through into private sector demand as we move into the latter part of this year," he told the BBC

Fairly huge rise in commercial vehicle sales indicates businesses are actually doing rather well. Far better than the mainstream narrative would suggest. Nothing to do with keeping IR down of course...

One consolation is that car manufacturers will need to up their ante in order to maintain the volumes and get the ROI back from their plants so we should be seeing some better cars coming out.

Only thing left to improve is fuel economy and they are getting slowly better. Other than than modern cars are pretty much done IMO

Well, the car manufacturers don't have much to worry about.

Their finance wings are protected by their constituent states, and they've engineered their vehicles to have relatively short lifespans.

How can you lose when you have the likes of GM, who go bankrupt, recapitalize with state funding, re-float an IPO, tank, repeat...

Ha ! GM finance must have lost millions as well. A few years back I bought a Saab estate on lease through my business. After 18 month I gave it back as it made us all car sick. Some auction firm from Bristol came and picked it up without any fuss. I asked the guy what would happen to it and he said it would go straight to auction the following day and probably fetch £6500. GM finance would get the balance after costs, so maybe £6k. This car was £23k 18 months earlier. I had probably paid a third of that, so, GM fianace took a big hit.

An they wonder why they loose money :rolleyes:

Ha ! GM finance must have lost millions as well. A few years back I bought a Saab estate on lease through my business. After 18 month I gave it back as it made us all car sick. Some auction firm from Bristol came and picked it up without any fuss. I asked the guy what would happen to it and he said it would go straight to auction the following day and probably fetch £6500. GM finance would get the balance after costs, so maybe £6k. This car was £23k 18 months earlier. I had probably paid a third of that, so, GM fianace took a big hit.

An they wonder why they loose money :rolleyes:

You don't honestly believe that it was sold for about £6500.

You don't honestly believe that it was sold for about £6500.

Yep, I do. The max I was offered as a part ex against different new car was £9k but that would have meant buying it from GM finance for the balance outstanding which far exceeded the £9k. So, off it went back to GM. Basically, GM complelety mis calculated the residual value.

One consolation is that car manufacturers will need to up their ante in order to maintain the volumes and get the ROI back from their plants so we should be seeing some better cars coming out.

well, no, they need to reduce their costs, but they have already spent the money so the either have to make cars at a loss or stop making them and right off the cost, of course most will shift production to get the best exchange rate advantage if they can get any parts.

BMW 3 Series ... common as muck :P

Depends on the model. M3 is the only desirable one. The small engine ones are for people who want a BMW badge as opposed to a car for driving.