House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beccles

35 Too Old To Do An Apprenticeship?

Thinking of doing this. I'd guess the competition for places would be fierce though and I'd be surrounded by 22yo's with degrees. dry.gif

Anyone on here doing one or have experience?

I did a 4 year apprenticeship in mechanical engineering when I left school, I have kept studying part time, got a BEng and currently working towards a MSc part time

I think it will depend on the employers point of view. Chances are they will expect a teenager so it will be an up hill battle for you to convince them you are motivated, can pick up the skills required and be willing to commit to 3-5 years of low pay during the apprenticeship.

Your age could be an advantage of course, stroppy teenagers can be a pain in the a*se.

Ultimately do you think you are too old??? If not and it is something you really want to do then go for it and show your enthusiasm during the interview!

What trade is it?

I think it will depend on the employers point of view. Chances are they will expect a teenager so it will be an up hill battle for you to convince them you are motivated, can pick up the skills required and be willing to commit to 3-5 years of low pay during the apprenticeship.

Your age could be an advantage of course, stroppy teenagers can be a pain in the a*se.

Ultimately do you think you are too old??? If not and it is something you really want to do then go for it and show your enthusiasm during the interview!

What trade is it?

At the moment I'm looking railways (Network Rail) at various trades, something involving engineering would be nice. Just looking right now though tbh.

What do you do right now? Why do you fancy engineering? Can you fund it easily and wait it out whilst yuo earn low apprenticeship wages? Network Rail do decent programmes for getting into the work, but I hear the union keeps shafting their members. Anyway, good luck either way!

What do you do right now? Why do you fancy engineering? Can you fund it easily and wait it out whilst yuo earn low apprenticeship wages? Network Rail do decent programmes for getting into the work, but I hear the union keeps shafting their members. Anyway, good luck either way!

National Grid keep advertising the odd apprenticeship as well, but they pay 16K while you do it, I looked at the application numbers and it was in the low 1000s.

National Grid keep advertising the odd apprenticeship as well, but they pay 16K while you do it, I looked at the application numbers and it was in the low 1000s.

Low 1K's oO7ij.png

Yes, I think I can fund it. Thanks Guitarman/Thommo

If you wouldn't mind living with a bunch of people in there early twenties predominantly for a year i say go for it.

The final salary and conditions are very good once you finish your training, have been doing it for 10 years myself, however with the introduction of new equipment i can see a job culling within the next five years.

Low 1K's oO7ij.png

Yes, I think I can fund it. Thanks Guitarman/Thommo

You seemed surprised at the 'low' 1k's quote this is business as normal for a decent apprenticeship - many people on here seem to like the idea of the employment concepts from the eighties and seventies there were lots of jobs but decent apprenticeships were highly valued. Competition for blue chip apprenticeships was always tough - BT, BA, Lucas, Marcon, IBM, British Gas et al. We have justt taken on two Microsoft apprentices again a proper scheme and they are very very good - reliable, smart and business minded.

Blue chip selection processes often involve three rounds of interviews practical and academic tests - hence why many of these apprentices went on to significant positions in companies or started their own thing. It was a bit like uni now the best candidates got three or four offers the average none.

So if you are serious here are some things that will be thrown at you:

1. Academic ability in maths - good GSCE standard perhaps into A levels

2. Practical hobbies - what shows the interviewer that you can blend practical skills with the theory ?

3. Show me something you have made - makes sense doesn't it after all you are 35 you should be very accomplished with general tools up to power saw, electric drill level.

4. What is your basic knowledge of electricity - Ohms law etc

5. Health and safety- can you lift properly?

6. Fitness - do you look fit it is an active role

7. So how long have you been interested in railways for instance - what do you think about the new high speed link from Folkstone? I got pictures of planes at the second stage BA interview - didn't get to the third!

8. People - skills - how many customer facing roles have you had?

I had all these and more when I was on the interview apprentice circuit in the late 70's at 17 years old.

It is NOT an interview a blue chip apprenticeship costs far more to deliver properly than you will give to the company so an attitude of general appreciation of that fact always goes down well.

I reckon if you approach it properly your age could play well and scratch an HR anti ageism itch but be aware they can choose the best and will.

Reading this, reminds me of some of the interview process to join as a military officer:

Interview:

Q1: What is the theoretical range of the Harpoon missile?

Q2: Why is this important tactically during a naval battle?

And so on and so forth. These are being thrown at 17 year olds who are competing to get into officer training. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the unsuitable candidates get weeded out pretty quickly.

Reading this, reminds me of some of the interview process to join as a military officer:

Interview:

Q1: What is the theoretical range of the Harpoon missile?

Q2: Why is this important tactically during a naval battle?

And so on and so forth. These are being thrown at 17 year olds who are competing to get into officer training. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the unsuitable candidates get weeded out pretty quickly.

Oddly I can answer those off my head