House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agent Bigs Up Hpc In The Press!

HOLA441

Yep...40% of the working population work in the public sector... Major cuts are looming over the county council...

But thats kept prices from falling so much for the last 3 years when they would have fallen more if Taunton was less dependant on the state.

My prediction for Taunton is falls for 2 years due to people having to sell due to losing there jobs and general local gov cutbacks then 2 years of relative stability and by that point bond prices will likely be rising to current portugise levels as the central government has to role over it's debt so further falls for 3 years while the cost of morgatage borrowing rockets in line with the bond prices all the while we never get a BOE rate above 2.0%, all unexpectedly.

I think there is way to much focus on the BOE interest rate, I think they have made themselves unimportant to house prices by being so far from the norm for so long as well as having no interest in inflation rates the are double there target. Bond prices better reflect mortgage costs.

HOLA442

But thats kept prices from falling so much for the last 3 years when they would have fallen more if Taunton was less dependant on the state.

My prediction for Taunton is falls for 2 years due to people having to sell due to losing there jobs and general local gov cutbacks then 2 years of relative stability and by that point bond prices will likely be rising to current portugise levels as the central government has to role over it's debt so further falls for 3 years while the cost of morgatage borrowing rockets in line with the bond prices all the while we never get a BOE rate above 2.0%, all unexpectedly.

I think there is way to much focus on the BOE interest rate, I think they have made themselves unimportant to house prices by being so far from the norm for so long as well as having no interest in inflation rates the are double there target. Bond prices better reflect mortgage costs.

Things have only just kicked off in Taunton, and the borough council has admitted that the local economy isn't diverse enough...there just isn't the jobs in the private sector that will cover the layoffs in the public sector... Due to the over reliance of the public sector jobs, Taunton will be on a downward spiral...

Projects like Firepool may help, but that's years away from completion...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA443

Things have only just kicked off in Taunton, and the borough council has admitted that the local economy isn't diverse enough...there just isn't the jobs in the private sector that will cover the layoffs in the public sector... Due to the over reliance of the public sector jobs, Taunton will be on a downward spiral...

Projects like Firepool may help, but that's years away from completion...

The problem with firepool is a bit like the Irish thread, by the time it's all built it's going to have cost to much. As far as I'm aware they have only sold one building so far and that's to viridor that's already based in the area.

HOLA444

The problem with firepool is a bit like the Irish thread, by the time it's all built it's going to have cost to much. As far as I'm aware they have only sold one building so far and that's to viridor that's already based in the area.

There are hundreds of other towns, much like Taunton, who are completing in trying to attract outward investment, especially from the south-east...The trouble with places that have a high dependency on the public sector, is that when a lot of those jobs go, it's a huge hole to fill...

Edited by Dave Beans