House Price Crash Forum
shipbuilder

Uk Says No To Av

BBC News

Apologies if already posted.

In my view, unfortunately this will now be used as an excuse to never raise the issue again. No hope for PR now.

Mrs Beckett, a leading No campaigner, said "Ever since I was a teenager I've been listening to people saying: 'The British people demand a change to our political system' - I never believed it and I'm very happy to have been proved right."

I found that quote chilling actually - it will be seen as a resounding thumbs up for the status quo - no doubt a great comfort for our political elite after the expenses scandals and so on. One to think about for those of the opinion that AV wasn't far enough?

Edit to add PS. Actually maybe the scariest thing is that the UK really do think our political system is just fine.

Edited by shipbuilder

I wanted to vote yes with no as my second choice but they wouldn't let me so I ranted about how undemocratic the UK is, blamed Nick Clegg and then flounced out of the polling station.

I wanted to vote yes with no as my second choice but they wouldn't let me so I ranted about how undemocratic the UK is, blamed Nick Clegg and then flounced out of the polling station.

:lol:

No-one wanted this.

Tories: No

Labour: Mostly No apart form their comedy leader-dweeb and some right-on Islington luvvies

LDs: Not even them - Clegg says it;s a "miserable ittle compromise"

Biggest no %age was form the North East, hardly a tory stronghold.

So we get to keep the system which has produced mainly majority governments. Good.

Yep. Personally, I find the result dissapointing. Any small change is better than no change.

Why?

If the suggested change is not an improvement then people should vote no.

The argument that this would be a 'step' in the right direction is farsical. The next government would get in because of a new system, so why on earth would they offer to change it. It would be like santa voting to ban Christmas.

Why?

The argument that this would be a 'step' in the right direction is farsical. The next government would get in because of a new system, so why on earth would they offer to change it. It would be like santa voting to ban Christmas.

The UK has said no and seemingly by a large majority. As a result, the issue will never be raised again.

Why?

Clearly, the change could have been having to draw a ***** in the box of the candidate you wanted to win - that would have been a small change, would it have been better?

I find the result encouraging since although it maintians an inferior voting system it proves that the electorate will not forgive being lied to as blatantly as the Lib Dems did over tuition fees. The Lib Dems in doing so, after years in a void have missed the only opportunity they may ever have to move towards future power. They are destined to return to the void and have confirmed themselves as a future minor player in UK politics.

Couldn't help but notice that the Yes vote did better in constituencies with a large university population.

Seems a bit arrogant to say that only academics and HPCers have any modicum of intelligence, and that the thick as two planks sheeple messed it all up, but, well, sure seems that way.

Interactive Telegraph Map

I find the result encouraging since although it maintians an inferior voting system it proves that the electorate will not forgive being lied to as blatantly as the Lib Dems did over tuition fees. The Lib Dems in doing so, after years in a void have missed the only opportunity they may ever have to move towards future power. They are destined to return to the void and have confirmed themselves as a future minor player in UK politics.

I think that is more commonly known as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

People now have no right to complain about MPs immigration etc... they voted for a no change to the system, this was more than a change in the way we vote, voting yes was about the people wanting a real change and sending a message to westminster.

Edited by crash2006

Actually if there's any blame to be apportioned in this debacle it's easily laid at the lib dems and nick cleggs door.

This is like a bloke promising not to ****** your sister, then ******ing your sister in front of all your mates and then suggesting that everyone should go and have a nice quiet pint. It doesn't matter how much you want a pint, you're not going are you?

Electoral reform is still entirely possible. Just not when it's primarily being suggested by the most craven traitor since judas himself.

The lib dems are the cause of this failure.

We should have known better.

They would never have given us a vote on it if there had been any chance of a 'yes' result.

A bit like our EU referendum - they already know what the answer will be so the question will never be asked.

People now have no right to complain about MPs immigration etc... they voted for a no change to the system, this was more than a change in the way we vote, voting yes was about the people want a real change.

no it was about "do you want to use av"

and the answer was no.

many problems exist with FPTP.

AV did not make any of them better, but made some of them worse. the fact that people who generally support the lib dems are generally in support of a change in the voting system that would benefit the lib dems is hardly surprising!

People now have no right to complain about MPs immigration etc... they voted for a no change to the system, this was more than a change in the way we vote, voting yes was about the people want a real change.

That is utter shit. Any change does not equate to positive change. Av would solve none of the issues you raise.

That is utter shit. Any change does not equate to positive change. Av would solve none of the issues you raise.

Not quite.. AV meant it was unlikely any of the issues would have been addressed.

First past the post guarantees we will continue to have only two parties who we KNOW will do nothing about those issues.

BBC News

Apologies if already posted.

In my view, unfortunately this will now be used as an excuse to never raise the issue again. No hope for PR now.

I found that quote chilling actually - it will be seen as a resounding thumbs up for the status quo - no doubt a great comfort for our political elite after the expenses scandals and so on. One to think about for those of the opinion that AV wasn't far enough?

Edit to add PS. Actually maybe the scariest thing is that the UK really do think our political system is just fine.

I prefer to see it as a big thumbs down for wooly minded leftism.

More of this please.

Clegg's wet and too nice. He's allowed the Tories to walk all over him.

LibDems had no chance against the well oiled and experienced political Tory machine.

This was a vote against tuition fees.

The LibDems are pretty well finished.

I think AV was a rubbish idea anyway......It is a poor compromise for PR.

Clegg's wet and too nice. He's allowed the Tories to walk all over him.

LibDems had no chance against the well oiled and experienced political Tory machine.

The LibDems are pretty well finished.

I think AV was a rubbish idea anyway......It is a poor compromise for PR.

Although wouldn't AV be a stepping stone for PR?

Agreed that Clegg has buggered it all up for them....The Tories are really rubbing their hands, as the boundary changes are in their favour..

Edited by Dave Beans

It certainly appears from reading this thread that there were quite a few people who didn't understand the question.

Perhaps we really aren't ready for more power yet.. :unsure:

Not quite.. AV meant it was unlikely any of the issues would have been addressed.

First past the post guarantees we will continue to have only two parties who we KNOW will do nothing about those issues.

I contend that no party who stands any chance of getting their hands on power will or can do anything about things such as immigration. The stitch up is in. We're in the EU, immigration is allowed within the EU. The EU is now letting anyone in who says it's a bit hot where they come from!

Actually it was the self righteousness of this that ******ed me off more

voting yes was about the people want a real change.

Which is ******** that's like saying that banging the ginger from Girl's Aloud is the same as nailing Cheryl Cole. I'd have voted for PR. AV is to PR what Audley Harrison is to Muhammed Ali.

Edited by mentholist

no it was about "do you want to use av"

and the answer was no.

many problems exist with FPTP.

AV did not make any of them better, but made some of them worse. the fact that people who generally support the lib dems are generally in support of a change in the voting system that would benefit the lib dems is hardly surprising!

+1, the arguments for AV are so weak supporters thought that a dose of emotional blackmail would be enough to secure a Yes vote.

I'm glad it wasn't to be. Now we've got this out of the way perhaps we can deal with some important issues, like the EU or the national debt.

Actually if there's any blame to be apportioned in this debacle it's easily laid at the lib dems and nick cleggs door.

This is like a bloke promising not to ****** your sister, then ******ing your sister in front of all your mates and then suggesting that everyone should go and have a nice quiet pint. It doesn't matter how much you want a pint, you're not going are you?

Electoral reform is still entirely possible. Just not when it's primarily being suggested by the most craven traitor since judas himself.

The lib dems are the cause of this failure.

But also had the most to gain.