House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Anyone Noticed?

Hmmm interesting. I wasn't aware of that. From a different angle....

I'd sort of drawn the conclusion that having lost Scotland, lost the AV vote and gained far fewer Councillors than expected that it might be reported that Ed Milliband's position as leader would be under threat...but no, nothing.

I hope Chris Pattens appointment will help clear up this kind of blatant bias

Good to see the English Democrats getting some councillors

yep, blatant bias

Headline is:

Labour sees some gains in Devon cities

But the headline should be: Conservatives stay in control, as the story reads:

In Plymouth, although the Conservative Party remains in control, Labour saw an increase in seats from 20 to 25.

The party gained four seats on Exeter City Council, bringing its total up to 19, but the authority remains under no overall control.

The Conservatives have taken control of some district councils, including Mid Devon and Teignbridge. They also won the poll for Torbay mayor.

Conservative Gordon Oliver won the Torbay mayoral poll from incumbent and independent candidate Nick Bye by about 12,000 votes to 9,000.

Torridge mayor ousted

The Conservatives took control of Mid Devon District Council after winning 24 seats on the 42-seat authority.

ETC

I just saw Fiona Bruce on BBC1 news positively glowing with joy at "the BBC's prediction" that the AV vote has been a stunning defeat for the LibDems with over 70% voting NO.

Forgive me, Fiona, but isn't it your job to report NEWS, FACTS, things that ARE - not "predictions"? And if things have changed, then perhaps try to demonstrate a bit of impartiality if you can muster it... even if you have to pretend to.

I would now switch to ITV1 for a comparison but Alistair Stewart's delivery of this news might just drive me into a sprialling deep depression from which I may never recover. You, sir, need to lighten up.

Why can't these people just tell me what's happened without trying to influence how I'm supposed to feel about it?

But, how many got more than 50% of the vote this time compared to last time? There's no "stunning Tory victory" to report here ; in most cases, it's just the large collapse in votes for incumbent LibDem councillors moving to other other candidates (mostly Labour and Green) thus splitting the vote.

In my local constituency the Labour candidate 'won' from the Conservatives for the same reason; the LibDem vote collapsed and enough moved to Labour for him to win. Threre are similar perverse results all over the place. The whole thing is just a farce; the result of a dysfunctional electoral system which is unfit for purpose when there are more than two candidates. Bring on Condorcet voting.

I just saw Fiona Bruce on BBC1 news positively glowing with joy at "the BBC's prediction" that the AV vote has been a stunning defeat for the LibDems with over 70% voting NO.

Forgive me, Fiona, but isn't it your job to report NEWS, FACTS, things that ARE - not "predictions"? And if things have changed, then perhaps try to demonstrate a bit of impartiality if you can muster it... even if you have to pretend to.

I would now switch to ITV1 for a comparison but Alistair Stewart's delivery of this news might just drive me into a sprialling deep depression from which I may never recover. You, sir, need to lighten up.

Why can't these people just tell me what's happened without trying to influence how I'm supposed to feel about it?

This is the problem isn't it? Everyone who works at the BBC votes. Everyone of them has an affiliation and a bias and this has to show up in the reporting that gets done. The thought that a system of human beings that is the BBC can work impartialy is laughable when you think about it.

I can't believe I'm forced to pay for these blighters.

Don't.

I don't and it's great.

The rare pearl amongst an ocean of TV swine can be viewed using catchup TV without the need for a licence.

I'm amazed I ever found the time or the motivation to watch TV for hours every night.

I started watching their coverage last night but gave up when Vine started predicting a huge collapse in the the Tory vote with a swing to Labour.

I did did notice that Dimbleby this even mentioned several times that they don't predict but report results. What happened over night?

This is the problem isn't it? Everyone who works at the BBC votes. Everyone of them has an affiliation and a bias and this has to show up in the reporting that gets done. The thought that a system of human beings that is the BBC can work impartialy is laughable when you think about it.

Not really; it's called professionalism. What the BBC News team does have, however, is "an agenda".

House price falls = sad face. House price rises = happy face.

Labour party victory = happy face. LibDem failure = Fiona Bruce grinning from ear to ear, as though the popular boy at school had just asked her to the dance.

Could I use my stupendously beautiful (but rarely watched) TV as a monitor and not "get done" Bart?

As long as your TV is detuned (i.e. showing static on all stations) you are fine. Best to disconnect the aerial as well though.

You can connect it to the PC and use it to watch iPlayer etc.

As long as you don't watch live streams (i.e. BBC 1 live via the internet), they can't touch you.

You'll have to get used to the monthly "threat-o-gram" from TV Licencing. I got mine yesterday. They rotate the messages. Yesterday was the heavy duty one, talk of appearances in court etc.

It was addressed to The Legal Occupier.

Yes, I can see how that court appearance would play out.

"Are you Mr Occupier? Mr L. Occupier?"

"No"

JUDGE: "Case dismissed".

I got the same letter back in January. It's all ****** designed to intimidate you.

You'll have to get used to the monthly "threat-o-gram" from TV Licencing. I got mine yesterday. They rotate the messages. Yesterday was the heavy duty one, talk of appearances in court etc.

It was addressed to The Legal Occupier.

I never open them; I just write 'Please return to...' on them and pop them back in the post.

pl1, on 06 May 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

Not really; it's called professionalism. What the BBC News team does have, however, is "an agenda".

House price falls = sad face. House price rises = happy face.

Labour party victory = happy face. LibDem failure = Fiona Bruce grinning from ear to ear, as though the popular boy at school had just asked her to the dance.

I don't see the distinction. How can they be professional and yet push an agenda at the same time?

And even the most professional journalist is a human being and subject to all the frailties and temptations that that implies. No; I see the BBC as one great big lumbering, biased, machine that squats over every person in the UK.

Do you think the BBC would have found time to mention it (amidst the electoral chaos) if the Tories had fared an unprecedented 900 seats worse than the predicted "disaster" level, rather than 900 seats better than "victory"? (I think they might have just squeezed in a tiny mention. :lol: )

I doubt whether the beeb has anyone on staff with enough clue to understand what happened. Sometime over the weekend they'll probably get a psephologist on who does understand. After being repeatedly interupted every five seconds, he'll just be getting to the crucial part of the explanation when he'll be cut off with a cheery 'Well I'm afraid that's all we have time for, Thank you....and now over to Sarah who has more news of the preparations for Zara Phillips' wedding'.

Don't.

I don't and it's great.

The rare pearl amongst an ocean of TV swine can be viewed using catchup TV without the need for a licence.

I'm amazed I ever found the time or the motivation to watch TV for hours every night.

Same here, I can't believe how many hours I wasted watching and listening to various attention whore's version of therapy/reality.

I never open them; I just write 'Please return to...' on them and pop them back in the post.

From what I've researched, you're under no legal obligation to reply. My reasoning is that if I don't reply, at least I can keep my options open.

These letters are clearly designed to intimidate. They talk of TV licence "officers" taking statements etc.

"Officers" my ****! They've ******ing jumped up bailiffs! They have no powers to take statements or to enter your home without a warrant.

I like to lead 'em a merry dance. Make the ******* work a bit for their money.

I don't see the distinction. How can they be professional and yet push an agenda at the same time?

And even the most professional journalist is a human being and subject to all the frailties and temptations that that implies. No; I see the BBC as one great big lumbering, biased, machine that squats over every person in the UK.

They can't. They are unprofessional; they have an agenda.

The news bulletin lasted half an hour. If you are correct then I'm sure she could have contained herself while delivering the news; the same way I expect a GP to be able to diagnose an STD and wait until the patient has left the room before having a quick snigger.

Last night the Beeb was saying that a eleven hundred Tory councillors gone would be a disaster, and 700 gone a Tory victory, with anything between a draw, yet today when the Tories have actually gained 130+ councillors there is no mention anywhere of a stunning Tory victory?

Mods: feel free to move - I just feel that this forum is the nearest thing to 'mass media shaming' of the Beeb that exists.

I wonder how the Beeb came up with that prediction, bearing in mind the Tories got 35% of the vote which is almost exactly what the opinion polls were predicting. It seems the Lib Dems on 15% didn't crash quite as badly as anticipated and I suppose that's the reason that Labour on 37% are a bit lower than expected

I keep thinking he looks a bit like a certain filmstar...(not sure what he's holding here :blink:)

wallace-gromit-20-year-anniversary.jpg

They appear to have celebrated their 25 years by indulging in such vigorous mutual masturbation they've pulled their c0cks off.

I think the Tories have played an absolute blinder.

They seem to have come out of it better than I would have expected. Most of the voter's venom has gone to the LibDems, particularly Nick Clegg.

Plus, the Scottish independence thing is bad for Labour any way you look at it. And although the Tories claim to be fighting against it, well, hmmm, I'm not so sure. (England, voting alone, has returned a massive Tory majority every election in the last hundred years, I read somewhere.) And the distribution of results - Labour are nearly as excluded from the prosperous Southern areas as the Tories are from Scotland. Suddenly, very much, Labour is looking like the party of the frozen North. (But, thanks to Salmond, not too far North.)

I think Scotland inreasingly likes the split ticket of SNP in Holyrood and Labour at Westminster. So I think the demise of Labour is massively overhyped and I don't see any worries from Scotland for Labour in the next GE.

There's a massive majority in Scotland against independence.

And natioanally it's Tories down 5% and Labour up 12% since the last local elections.

So, really not too bad for Labour

The BBC are really going for Nick Clegg tonight. On BBC North terms like "conspicuous by his absense" well he can't be in two places at once.

And Nick Robinson gave a doom and gloom wind up on the prospects of the coalition, which I cannot see born out at all. They are unlikely to bring down the coalition, as they face oblivion.

However according to a poster at Order Order, Michael Gove really tore a strip off Dimbers earlier. I missed it, but would dearly like to see the video

They appear to have celebrated their 25 years by indulging in such vigorous mutual masturbation they've pulled their c0cks off.

Agreed, looks a bit wrong to me!!

Anyway, the Bias from the BBC has almost been shocking, apart from I expected it. For an elected government to actually increase their number of councillors is almost unheard of and is a stunning result for them, the BBC on the 6pm news just brushed it off though.

Just now on news24, they had a whole interview trying to pick hole in the coalition! They're actively trying to find and create problems, it's a complete disgrace!

Regarding the result, I think the libdems did bad because the usual leftie support base don't support the shrinking of the public sector and voted labour and the ones that think the government are doing a good job voted tory instead.

!

Regarding the result, I think the libdems did bad because the usual leftie support base don't support the shrinking of the public sector and voted labour and the ones that think the government are doing a good job voted tory instead.

The LibDem vote was always a "None of the above" vote. but now they've ditched their manifesto promises and are delivering Tory policies you either agree (and vote Tory) or not (and vote Labour)