House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Belfast International Airport Charges Smokers A £1 To Light Up Before Jetting Away

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1384212/Belfast-International-Airport-charges-smokers-1.html

Smokers who want to light up before they fly away from Belfast International Airport are being charged £1 to do so to pay for a 'designated smoking area'.

How much of this charge will the tax be on it? Is it liable for 20% VAT? Or is providing this service not taxed in anyway?

I am sure most smokers will be delighted to pay £1 for such service. They must usually spend 1-2 hours+ in the non smoking terminal prior to flying.

Same goes for the Ryanair chat about £1 for using the bogs. I would love that. They would be far quieter - as the tight wad half of the plane held it in - whilst the other half could do a dump at 35,000ft in peace.

Just another example of the nasty, greedy way in which people are exploited in rip off Britain and made to pay for something that is free elsewhere.

Once they have people "captive" in the departure lounge, why not charge them to use the toilet as well, or install jammers and a special mobile phone network that costs £ a minute, or have them all in pitch darkness and make them pay extra for electric light, or make the room airtight and charge them to breathe?

Where will they stop with their compulsion in Britain to put profit above all else, to the detriment of quality of life?

All I can say, in a deeply heartfelt manner is, thank God Im out of it and don't have to live there any more.

Oh dear... The anti-smokers won't like this....

Someone might walk past the smoking area and get a whiff of fag smoke and be off work because of passive smoking paranoia!

:D:D:D

Just another example of the nasty, greedy way in which people are exploited in rip off Britain and made to pay for something that is free elsewhere.

Once they have people "captive" in the departure lounge, why not charge them to use the toilet as well, or install jammers and a special mobile phone network that costs £ a minute, or have them all in pitch darkness and make them pay extra for electric light, or make the room airtight and charge them to breathe?

that would actually be quite a good idea,so many people spend so much of their time talking utter shite(very loudly) on their mobiles that they ought to have designated "chat" rooms for a couple of quid for a few minutes....the rest of trains,planes,automobiles and public places now enshrined in law to become quiet,peacful environments like benedictine monasteries..audio pollution is extremely debilitating over the long term don't you know(cue mad stooge scientist boffin-type-bloke in convincing white coat to lecture you)

I'm all for less GBH of the eardrums!...let's see how these little feckers like it!.......do this and watch everybody scream foul!!!...then they will realise just how persecuted the smokers have been.

I just hope they remember that THEY started it.

that would actually be quite a good idea,so many people spend so much of their time talking utter shite(very loudly) on their mobiles that they ought to have designated "chat" rooms for a couple of quid for a few minutes....the rest of trains,planes,automobiles and public places now enshrined in law to become quiet,peacful environments like benedictine monasteries..audio pollution is extremely debilitating over the long term don't you know(cue mad stooge scientist boffin-type-bloke in convincing white coat to lecture you)

I'm all for less GBH of the eardrums!...let's see how these little feckers like it!.......do this and watch everybody scream foul!!!...then they will realise just how persecuted the smokers have been.

Yeah, you've got a point there.

Sadly the only reason it would be introduced in Britain would be to make money - not for the reasons on improving the ambience by shutting all the mobile gang up.

For proof, look at the moves being made to introduce mobile networks on aeroplanes - stuff the ambience or anyone trying to get some rest - we can make some money.

Sadly the only reason it would be introduced in Britain would be to make money - not for the reasons on improving the ambience by shutting all the mobile gang up.

Yup, after my vast travels over the past 10 years it is incredibly obvious that the UK is designed to gouge you at each and every possible opportunity.

I go anywhere in Asia and the middle east. WIFI costs nothing. In the UK they have £1 for 3 minutes terminals or airport WIFI that demands you sign a contract or £15 for 1 hour. All over Asia and Europe those bags for airplane liquids are free. Not so in the UK. Manchester airport charges £2 for each bag.

You use a smegging change machine in the UK and it clips 50p out of each tenner you stick in it. Gouge nation indeed.

Yup, after my vast travels over the past 10 years it is incredibly obvious that the UK is designed to gouge you at each and every possible opportunity.

I go anywhere in Asia and the middle east. WIFI costs nothing. In the UK they have £1 for 3 minutes terminals or airport WIFI that demands you sign a contract or £15 for 1 hour. All over Asia and Europe those bags for airplane liquids are free. Not so in the UK. Manchester airport charges £2 for each bag.

You use a smegging change machine in the UK and it clips 50p out of each tenner you stick in it. Gouge nation indeed.

Yes and the populace seems not to care and be quite blase to being ripped off at every turn.

Ive seen people actually paying (not £2 but £1) for a plastic liquids bag and people obviously are happy to pay 5% just to get a tenner changed, or the machines would not be viable.

Airport currency exchanges are another good example. You see people happily changing several hundred pounds at a rate 10% below the rate they could get if they only applied a little research.

Unbe-*ing-lievable

The best thing about train travel these days is tunnels...

We also get charged £1 to be dropped off at the airport entrance!

Leeds/Bradford effectively charge you a tenner to collect an arriving passenger. Everyone has to take a card from the machine before driving in, with which you can get back out for free within fifteen minutes, after which you have to pay the short-term car park rate. So if the plane is late, or the passenger is delayed at immigration or collecting luggage, whoever is picking them up gets whacked for a big bill.

The smaller regional airports in America offer a saner alternative, called the 'cellphone lot'. It's basically a car park in the middle of nowhere a short distance from the terminal, where you park up and wait for your arriving passenger to process through into the arrivals area, whereupon they call you on your mobile and you drive up to the pick-up point and collect them. I'm not holding my breath for the likes of BAA to introduce anything like this...