House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

My Car Ins Up 30% Is This Rise General?

No change in particulars over past year, yet quote is 30% up.

Is this happening to others?

About a 35% rise for me, and that's with a 9 year ncd. Rang the insurance company to see if I could negotiate the price down and they simply weren't interested in keeping my business so I had to go through the faff of finding a new policy. Ended up saving about 20% on the renewal quote but still significantly more expensive than last year.

No, they've singled you out. The computer indicates you are going have an accident this year.

<I'm moving away from you, slowly so as not to attract attention>

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/insurance-the-shocking-truth/the-average-motorist/256861

Apparently it is.

I'd imagine for many people on the margin, particularly the young on low wages, this will take them off the road and quite possibly in areas of poor or expensive public transport, out of employment altogether.

It may signify that insurance companies are about to go through something similar to the banks in '08.

Govt. needs to very quickly get its head around low cost 3rd party cover outside of the existing private business provision. Current system is totally broken.

No change in particulars over past year, yet quote is 30% up.

Is this happening to others?

Claims Direct doing overtime and Insurers 'settling on commercial terms'.

They save on investigation costs, the fraudsters get their compo, the honest policy holder picks up the tab.

Modern Britain summed up in one really

Direct Line bumped up my auto renewal last month by about 33%. I went to Aviva and got the same deal for the same price as DL last year.

You have to shop around and move.

Mine went up 40% - 9 years NCD. Called and the bloke on the phone told me everyone's had gone up. PAH!

Spent 5 mins on confused.com and got 20% off last year's rate.

:angry:

I know your a jack ..........muppet

I meant the original poster ... wasn't there something EU about Shelia's no longer being treated advantageously , as it was discriminatory against males ?

I know your a jack ..........muppet

I meant the original poster ... wasn't there something EU about Shelia's no longer being treated advantageously , as it was discriminatory against males ?

Do you think MTF transgendered people used to get cheaper insurance?

New customers always seem to get the best quotes, meaning you have to change every year to get the best deal.....they are not interested in your loyalty repeat business they prefer you to be complacent and pay the extra price even though you have a clean license and never had an accident the premium still manages to go up...no gain without some pain. ;)

Last years insurer wanted another £150 to renew this year 12years no claims bonus as well.

Very few insurers give anything extra past 6 or 7 years NCB. Having 12 gives you no advantage over someone with 6. "Protecting"your NCb is a bit of a scam too because your claims history will load your premium a hell of a lot more that the 'protected' bonus can compensate for.

Some will give an extra 1% off for every year's NCB above 6, which is peanuts in most cases.

My renewal came through in March and was 90% up !!!

I shopped around and got it for a few quid more than last year.

Make sure you shop around.

Buckers

I was outraged by the increase on my fleet insurance and told the insurer I'd take the business elsewhere.

After contacting every insurer/broker going none of them could offer anything like as low as the existing insurer's increased premium so I was forced to promptly skulk back and bite their hand off.

There have been several threads since new year on this topic.

As far as I can see, it's down to shopping around on t'intertubes.

My renewal quote was +30% as well, and I ended up with a -5% deal with another insurer. If my original insurer had quoted +5% I probably wouldn't have shopped around.

I was outraged by the increase on my fleet insurance and told the insurer I'd take the business elsewhere.

After contacting every insurer/broker going none of them could offer anything like as low as the existing insurer's increased premium so I was forced to promptly skulk back and bite their hand off.

Tragic isn't it.

I had a 27% bump in my renewal (no bumps). Disgusted, told them I'd be shopping around. So I did and was in for a bit of a shock. These hikes are industry wide (very cartel like). In the end my current provider called me back and offered me a better deal (to keep me). Up about 8% in the end. I decided to stick.

For the fourth year in a row,Esure has been the cheapest for me.Up from £248 last year to £283(an increase of 14%)

Ran through three comparison sites,and Esure popped up on one of them..at £405! :blink: One of the sites couldn't come up with a single quote for me. :blink:

(Esure charge £25.99 for legal cover(which I've always had)but have a £26 charge if I wanted to remove it..poor practice. :angry: )

At what point will it become too expensive to run car?

Insurance going up by 20%+

Car tax up by 4-5% (inflation)

Petrol (tax) up.

etc.

I think we must be near to the tipping point.

Both our cars went up by about 10% this year. Then I told them that we'd had a child so they stuck another 10% on both.

Stupid thing is one of the cars is a 2 seat convertible that he can't go in but there you go.