House Price Crash Forum
scepticus

Usa Moves 15-20 Years Ahead Of China, India With New Chip Tech

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/dew-point/4215728/Intel-putting-fins-on-at-22-nm

Big news this.

Despite all their best efforts, China and india remain laggards in the hi-tech race. Sure they have been copying western technology effectively for 10-15 years, but this shows there is nothing to stop us inventing something new in the meantime.

But of course it's not 'new', just a long standing research effort that has reached production status.

And it'll be the best qualified western engineers who are going to be rolling this out and generating the supporting fab hardware and design flows.

Anybody got any insider knowledge on this? Sounds like it could be as big an innovation as the integrated circuit.

where does this 15-20 years figure come from?

all i see is that intel leads the world in semi-conductors.

in what way did people think otherwise?

Anybody got any insider knowledge on this? Sounds like it could be as big an innovation as the integrated circuit.

Big innovation? Isn't 22nm just putting the transitors closer together therefore for the same area you can cram in more transitors thus per cm3 you get more transitors thus its a bit faster than before? Its not exactly a killer edge tbh.... if you can get similar number crunching speed with a slightly bigger chip. AMD have been playing the bigger chip game for years.

You lot greatly underestimate China and India, and overestimate Intel then.

But having Intel releasing preliminary reports on their research and development achievements does bode well for stockholders.

where does this 15-20 years figure come from?

That's a professional estimate, albeit one plucked out of my professional **** on the spur of the moment.

Actually I think it is rather conservative. China can't replicate standard 65nm technology properly, let alone superplanar 22nm.

India doesn't even have any advanced CMOS fabs yet.

That's a professional estimate, albeit one plucked out of my professional **** on the spur of the moment.

Actually I think it is rather conservative. China can't replicate standard 65nm technology properly, let alone superplanar 22nm.

India does not even have reliable power supply. I know of a production line in India that had 17 power cuts in a day and the supply is so erratic the line has blown 7 electronic controllers so far due to power surges.

Cheap labour is not everything.

But low(er) rents and taxes are a major advantage..... a lot of people I know in Asia pretty much don't understand the concept of income tax.

You lot greatly underestimate China and India, and overestimate Intel then.

I would never do that. In this case I think my analysis is correct. There's plenty of other areas in which I'll sing their praises but this ain't one of them.

This all adds weight to the theory of an upcoming semiconductor supercycle akin to that 1995-2001, with all the social changes that the last one brought.

This one is wireless and ubiquitous, and like someone hyperboled in a thread earlier this evening, promises to deliver the mark of the beast.

Of course you can see that as a blessing or a curse as you see fit, or as I see it, which is part of our Long Term Evolution.

how far are they ahead of us?

India does not even have reliable power supply. I know of a production line in India that had 17 power cuts in a day and the supply is so erratic the line has blown 7 electronic controllers so far due to power surges.

Yes, it is disconcerting to be sat in a modern meeting room in an otherwise ultra modern office building (albeit one surrounded by street level chaos outside the security gates) and then suddenly all the lights go out, with just the computers, laptop and projector still glowing and everyone still talking. However, it never seems to throw those guys off their stride.

Great people, the indians. Tough times ahead for them though.

how far are they ahead of us?

Not relevant. We'll design the chips and chip design software and then use their fabs, just like ARM does.

You seem to be under the illusion that the USA and UK are separable entities. They are not, in all the ways that matter. FED controls our monetary policy. ARM controls the architecture of the US smartphone industry.

Big innovation? Isn't 22nm just putting the transitors closer together therefore for the same area you can cram in more transitors thus per cm3 you get more transitors thus its a bit faster than before? Its not exactly a killer edge tbh.... if you can get similar number crunching speed with a slightly bigger chip. AMD have been playing the bigger chip game for years.

Your right about the size, however it's a totally new "3d" transistor. That's the interesting part.

Explaining the toilet results in puzzled looks too.

Yes and no.

1) it brings forward the next pardigm shift in what electronic devices can do forward between a 6-18 months. Thats it.

2) No doubt because of this technology well see smaller smartphones, sooner.

3) There are certain points when a CPU/MCU hasa certain mathematical computational power to do a job, like play video, transcode, FFT and so on, at which point the paradigm shift occurs at 1) the desktop 2) the portable device 3) the phone

Its a big step, but not universe changing.

ps. AMD play the bigger chip as they dont have intels process technology.

Ken, read the link and then try google. C'mon now.

Great people, the indians. Tough times ahead for them though.

Yes, the way they just don't give a crap about the poor, paying tax, the environment or population control is very endearing.

Yes and no.

1) it brings forward the next pardigm shift in what electronic devices can do forward between a 6-18 months. Thats it.

3) There are certain points when a CPU/MCU hasa certain mathematical computational power to do a job, like play video, transcode, FFT and so on, at which point the paradigm shift occurs at 1) the desktop 2) the portable device 3) the phone

This is a major breakthrough.

Moore's law was breaking down and this puts the industry back on course in a way that will reap considerable benefits.

It will be hard for the Chinese to replicate this technology.

Yes and no.

Right just to play devils advocate for a moment. A smart phone is basically a visual device. Making them smaller is pretty much pointless. You may make the chipset smaller freeing up space for more battery / antenna / memory but making a smaller smartphone is a bit pointless, Though since fools like thin and shiny I'm sure we'll see a paper thin phone with shit battery life but it will be shiny.

This is a major breakthrough.

Moore's law was breaking down and this puts the industry back on course in a way that will reap considerable benefits.

It will be hard for the Chinese to replicate this technology.

Yes, but not now. I still hold it is good and significant.

Sorry was skeptical, the significance of this technology wont be felt until later, when it helps obviate effects like quantum tunneling and so on.

I didnt want to mention that as it was future hoizon stuff.