House Price Crash Forum
Twazza

Local Chippy Anecdote On Rising Costs

I was chatting to the guy who runs my local chippy yesterday.

With a lack of international cricket going on at the mo chat reverts to our back up topic of discussion ... 'how's business?'

He has told me in the past that he has been hit by a number of other rises over the last few years. A few months ago he mentioned that he had ditched the guy who supplies his veg for the salads since his costs had increased to make him more expensive than buying it from the local Tesco's.

Yesterday he was talking about the oil he uses to cook the food, which he buys in blocks. He requires 4 blocks every 2 weeks to do a 'full clean' on the equipment. A further block is used per day as a 'top up'

Now I worked this out to be 35 blocks pcm, working on 6 days a week and 4.333 weeks in a month. The chippy doesn't close for holidays as he has staff.

The cost of a block of oil is up from £7 in 2009 to the current price of £21. His alternative suppliers have also increased in the same way.

35 x £14 = an increase of £490 per month on oil alone.

He says that he can't rise costs as his sales would drop dramatically. From what he infers I don't think he fears cheaper local competition, as they are all about the same and incur similar costs, but that his main concern is that everyone is broke and struggling to find the money to buy takeaways anyway.

There must be a lot of chippies, and takeaways in general, across the land in this situation. The same for the their suppliers in the wider industry.

The rising costs around him, from rents, council tax to the price of his goods, must make him feel like the ground around him swallowing him up, especially since he can't pass those costs on given the current climate.

On another note he also said that he felt he needed £700 a week in order to be able to support his family, mortgage etc, which he was inferring he was struggling to meet.

We have well and truly haddock. The recovery is battered!!! Cod only knows what will happen.

I remember as the credit crunch started etc. you saw this shift from eating out to takeaways (e.g. Dominos still making loads of money). Are we at the next step where people roll back from take-outs too? I am almost pre-programmed to pick up a battered sausage and chips on a Friday!

Correct. Along with de globalisation you will see many take aways closing. People will return to a lower standardd of living like a few decades ago. All rather predictable, really.

I'm eating as much decent restaurant and takeway as I should within health limits, as I believe all this will be much more expensive in the not too distant future. It really shouldnt cost only a fiver for a piece.of cod to be caught, transported,.fried and.served.on a bed of chips on.demand, as I am shortly about to pay for. I reckon 20quid would be more realistic.

Correct. Along with de globalisation you will see many take aways closing. People will return to a lower standardd of living like a few decades ago. All rather predictable, really.

I'm eating as much decent restaurant and takeway as I should within health limits, as I believe all this will be much more expensive in the not too distant future. It really shouldnt cost only a fiver for a piece.of cod to be caught, transported,.fried and.served.on a bed of chips on.demand, as I am shortly about to pay for. I reckon 20quid would be more realistic.

Quoted for truth.

You often hear of workers who come to the UK from abroad, and send most of their wages back home to their family. Will we now see people moving abroad to work, and sending half their wages to the UK to support them?

You often hear of workers who come to the UK from abroad, and send most of their wages back home to their family. Will we now see people moving abroad to work, and sending half their wages to the UK to support them?

Auf wiedersehen, pet!

I remember as the credit crunch started etc. you saw this shift from eating out to takeaways (e.g. Dominos still making loads of money). Are we at the next step where people roll back from take-outs too? I am almost pre-programmed to pick up a battered sausage and chips on a Friday!

Why don't you batter your own sausage instead?

It's cheaper and more fun too!

:blink:

Not sure if these sorts of places will ever just close down en-masse...

Agreed that in some places there is a saturation of them (and thats not just the fat, ha ha ha...) but anecdotally

some of my poorest 'clients' (I work for the ambulance service) seem to be the biggest users of takeaways; based

on the number of old wrappers on the floor / table / overflowing from bins etc.... So whats to change?

I just feel sorry for the guy in the title of the thread; as he says he can't reduce prices, but those who do it badly,

by not changing the fat at all, will be able to. I had all this before as an electrician when they introduced compulsary

registration; it didn't make my work any better at all as I was already doing it properly, but it did make the local

cowboys, albeit now working illegally, look even cheaper again...

It's normally palm oil that's the solid oil used in chippies. It has indeed increased dramatically in price in recent years. Dripping has gone up a lot too.

Here's the five year cost of palm oil chart from indexmundi

(As an aside do any chartists think a massive fall in price is due again? I might start shorting palm oil :P .)

I would suggest a full oil change every fortnight is on the low side though.

£4.50 is the national average price for a portion of fish and chips, and a decent chippy should maintain a gross profit margin of between 58 and 60 per cent. But reported dwindling stocks of the core fish that chippies deal in – cod, haddock and plaice – have sent prices up.

The biggest hike, though, has been in the cost of oil, with prices rising 23 per cent since the start of this year. Refined dripping, which is bought in ten-kilo blocks, now costs around £15 compared to about £5 last year. Potatoes, the ingredient that’s suffered the smallest recent price increase, can vary significantly in cost depending on the time of year.

Roxburgh says, “In June and July you have the last of last season’s spuds which invariably aren’t that good but can be bought for £6 or £7 for a 20 kilo bag. New season potatoes are between £12 and £14 a bag but as soon as the spuds are big enough to chip that price rapidly crashes down so you can get them for £5 a bag again.”

The Seafish Industry Authority (SIA) runs a competition to find the National Fish and Chip Shop of the Year. The average turnover of entrants is between £200,000 and £300,000 but the winning chippies often generate a much higher turnover.

http://www.enforbusiness.com/feature/fish-and-chip-shop

Edited by LeeT

I always thought that chippies were good earners which is why I have been surprised to see so many for sale around here. I guess this is the reason why and that the op's chip shop is far from alone.

Lol if that is your response to some mild anonymous needling then you really are better off in the public sector.

Yep m8 rofl lol lmoa! You are right though, I should go and work for a decent private ambulance service like Evolved... er hang on they just employed lots of nearly struck off ex-NHS staff and went spectacularly bust, or Wings, er, oh no, they are being 'financially restructured' for the 3rd time in as many years.

Hang on a minute, I've just noticed, you haven't got the slightest clue what foaming rubbish you're talking have you!? You see, I thought people came on here, especially on ANECDOTALS to discuss, or state what they have observed. But I was wrong, in your view its just for arrogant one line put downs from smug tory boy Daily Mail readers, isn't it? :D

p.s I heard last time you did some 'mild anonymous needling' you had a visit from some of my other emergency service chums and got 5 years?!

Fabulous, that made me glance at your username - how appropriate!

You carry on in your little insulated world. The pain is coming, whether you are prepared or not. If your response is to lash out every time you don't like something, then I'd expect to see you out there on the strike lines trying to keep warm.

I went to my local chippy last night at 'rush hour' and was surprised that there was no queue.

Upon entering I realised why - small portion of chips has gone up 10p from £1.30 to £1.40 and the owner had a piece of paper with the new prices of everything written down - fish, chicken, pies, etc, all gone up in price.

For a few months now I have been amazed that they have not raised their prices and have pondered what would happen when they did.

Is 10p on a portion of chips the difference between a queue out the door and the place being empty?

Yup, I'm with Compton - a typical response by some on these boards from CashWithNowhereToGo- zero useful info, and some armchair sneering.

Let me try.. CWNTG, or should that be - Not Much Cash With Nowhere To Go.

It's normally palm oil that's the solid oil used in chippies. It has indeed increased dramatically in price in recent years. Dripping has gone up a lot too.

Here's the five year cost of palm oil chart from indexmundi

Palm oil is one of the candidates for biofuel (as a diesel replacement). Its high price is one of the less obvious consequences of high oil prices.

+1 what a great post and this applies across the board.

It shouldn't really cost £8k for a brand new Volkswagen Polo considering the design/investment/ shipping and VAT in that price

It shouldn't really cost £20 to fly to Europe in a £3 million of piece equipment to be fuelled, staffed,leased and marketed

It shouldn't really cost £15 for a high quality cotton shirt in Marks and Spencer operating a shop in the middle of Oxford St

Not so sure if it is a lower standard of living in the takeaway aspect anyway just different.