House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LJAR

Vested Interests Dontcha Love Em?

So, taking the plunge and starting to look at property with a view to buying (if the price is right of course)

we need a bigger place (to start a family) and the mortgage would actually be less than rent on the houses we are looking at.

Anyway - long story short - I was talking to the mortgage broker and just mentioned that I am from Canada so london house prices are mad to me.

so he says:

"we don't have much land"

"its an investment"

"prices double every ten years"

"I bought in '96 - mine has tripled"

:lol::rolleyes:

gotta love it.

So, taking the plunge and starting to look at property with a view to buying (if the price is right of course)

we need a bigger place (to start a family) and the mortgage would actually be less than rent on the houses we are looking at.

Anyway - long story short - I was talking to the mortgage broker and just mentioned that I am from Canada so london house prices are mad to me.

so he says:

"we don't have much land"

"its an investment"

"prices double every ten years"

"I bought in '96 - mine has tripled"

:lol::rolleyes:

gotta love it.

I'd love to know what you said in reply..

"Prices double every 10 years" is ripe for a 'Oh really? So in 100 years from now the average house price will be £160 Million pounds?'

"Prices double every 10 years" is ripe for a 'Oh really? So in 100 years from now the average house price will be £160 Million pounds?'

unfortuntely I am dreadfully polite - so I just rolled my eyes.

I Don't see the £160k house worth £160 m in 100 years , however 50 years ago my parents bought a house for just under £4k if it had doubled every 10 years it would be worth £128 k now. Current value about £320 - £330k

I Don't see the £160k house worth £160 m in 100 years , however 50 years ago my parents bought a house for just under £4k if it had doubled every 10 years it would be worth £128 k now. Current value about £320 - £330k

My parents bought the family home in 1972 for 2500 quid. They go for 400K now and that is not London either. I would love to know what my father was earning then.

My parents bought the family home in 1972 for 2500 quid. They go for 400K now and that is not London either. I would love to know what my father was earning then.

When my Dad bought he was earning £80 a month take home and the mortgage was £20 p.m. they put down a £1000 that had taken them 6 years to save and included weddding present money. They had two kids and I popped out a few years later and one more followed , my Mum did not work and My Dad was an insurance clerk.

Remember a conversation my Dad had when I was a kid and he was gobsmacked that a cousin was getting married and paying £90 a month mortgage.