Realistbear

Pound Down To 1.10 Vs Euro

Currencies

Currency Pair

Price

Change

GBP to USD

GBP to EUR

It will all stand or fall on house prices and perhaps the market are beginning to price in a sharp £ correction . I had to bail out of $ at $1.61 due to imminent house purchase. :angry:

Currencies

Currency Pair

Price

Change

GBP to USD

GBP to EUR

It will all stand or fall on house prices and perhaps the market are beginning to price in a sharp £ correction . I had to bail out of $ at $1.61 due to imminent house purchase. :angry:

This is going to make it even more difficult for our European partners in the Eurozone, to compete with us. Just how the Irish are going to earn enough to pay us back is beyond me.

As for the affect of a strong Euro in the PIGS, well I can hear the squealing loud and clear from across the channel.

This is going to make it even more difficult for our European partners in the Eurozone, to compete with us. Just how the Irish are going to earn enough to pay us back is beyond me.

As for the affect of a strong Euro in the PIGS, well I can hear the squealing loud and clear from across the channel.

The US would love a big rise in the Euro. Somewhere around 1.60 would serve their exporters quite well--especially the aircraft industry.

Sarky will be squealing very soon.

Compete with us at what?

I suppose that the silver lining is that we are sitting on a currency nice gain on the Euros that we lent to Ireland (if they pay us back) at the moment ......

I wonder if government will include this unrealised gain in our national accounts to make our deficit look less bad.

We do stuff here you know. How about car manufacturing, food production, film production?

and it makes our housing stock cheap for "Savvy foreign investors". ;)

Sarky will be squealing very soon.

Germany and France are in the middle of an ECB induced credit boom.

Everything feels just fine...

We do stuff here you know. How about car manufacturing, food production, film production?

How much do we export to the eurozone as a percentage of total consumption? Germany, France etc. are hardly going to be shitting themselves over any of the things you mention, IMO.

The value of the Euro is not doing Germany any harm at all. A stronger Euro means that their manufacturers can import raw materials for less. Most manufacturers in the UK still need to buy imported components which are rising in price fast.

It is odd how our manufacturing is slowing again, but manufacturing in Germany keep going up. The Germans are not loosing any sleep over competition from the UK.

Edited by BalancedBear

It's all for the benefit of Oxford Street retailers. The low pound makes everything look cheap to foreign tourists. Makes even London hotels affordable to foreigners.

How much do we export to the eurozone as a percentage of total consumption? Germany, France etc. are hardly going to be shitting themselves over any of the things you mention, IMO.

How much would you like me to mention? The list is endless. Pharmaceuticals. Tourism. Insurance and finance world wide. Aero engines and weapon systems. Want more?

How much would you like me to mention? The list is endless. Pharmaceuticals. Tourism. Insurance and finance world wide. Aero engines and weapon systems. Want more?

You can carry on mentioning as many things as you wish, I just don't think you are understanding my point. I am aware we already export stuff, and that this is getting cheaper for the eurozone... this is good, as there will be a natural increase in demand.

You made the point that it will make it hard for the eurozone to compete with us.

My reponse is that, as a percentage of the overall consumption, any increase in demand for our exports will be minimal. IMO Germany, France, the Eurozone are hardly going to be quaking in their boots.

BB is correct .... the EU is a nett importer and heavily dependent on oil and gas from the ME. The feedstock for their goods is getting cheaper partially offsetting the effect of exchange rates. What you should all know by now is that the BRICS are favoring the EURO to avoid the endless hegemony of the Dollar and complicity of the Sterling.

The rising EURO will be at the expense of the Dollar and Sterling which are toast. Senior Chinese officials have already stated they are overweight on the dollar and there are signs of a slowdown in their purchases of treasuries. Of course the UKs holding disguise Asia's purchases however the signs are clear. Get out of sterling and into EUROs. One interesting aspect is the rising EURO can be offset by ramping up the pressure on Club Med who need global humiliation and then rescue by the core EURO members. Only then will the likes of Papa and his corrupt cronies be bought to heel.

The value of the Euro is not doing Germany any harm at all. A stronger Euro means that their manufacturers can import raw materials for less. Most manufacturers in the UK still need to buy imported components which are rising in price fast.

It is odd how our manufacturing is slowing again, but manufacturing in Germany keep going up. The Germans are not loosing any sleep over competition from the UK.