The Worst Generation?

HOLA441
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Harvey’s conclusion? As a group, he says, Gen Yers are characterized by a “very inflated sense of self” that leads to “unrealistic expectations” and, ultimately, “chronic disappointment.”

Gen Y are robbing both the earlier Gen X and the new generation just being born. I tend to agree--the worst generation we have seen so far.

How sad.

HOLA443

The inflated sense of self comes from left wing ideology , dumbing down of education etc to make people think they are somehow superior to those who tread a harder path before them and being told by idiot liberals that they could become/do anything they wanted career wise.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

to make people think they are somehow superior to those who tread a harder path before them

This is nothing new, the same words have been said for thousands of years, there's quotes from the ancient Greeks bemoaning the softness and ingratitude of the latest generation.

It's all just kids being kids, and grumpy old men being grumpy old men.

HOLA447

What exactly is 'Gen Y' (and X) ?

What they do is take a vast swathe of different people , put them under one umbrella and make generalisations about them.

Like they did with racial groups 100 years ago.

HOLA448

Being an X myself, we don't have our problems to seek.

Between the older boomers robbing all the wealth and the younger Y's thinking "their worth it", it really is a bad situation to find ones self in.

X generation (1972-1985) are the robbers. These make up the vast majority of BTLers, EAs and City boys. The most corrupt of all generations IMO.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

yeah, yeah, yeah, grandad, the youth of today eh? get back in your comfy chair

But what's this quote? -->

" “I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.”"

Hesiod, a greek poet from 700 BC

Seems the oldsters have always liked a whinge

HOLA4411

X generation (1972-1985) are the robbers. These make up the vast majority of BTLers, EAs and City boys. The most corrupt of all generations IMO.

Do you really know many 25 year olds with a BTL? They'd have had to invest when they were at school to cause that bubble.

HOLA4412

What exactly is 'Gen Y' (and X) ?

I think Gen Y is born 1982 or later. Gen X is 1960s and 1970s. There's a Gen Y in my office, he is basically like the article says - lazy, ignores criticism, massive sense of entitlement...come to think of it have met a few of that age similiar. But isn't that a phase people go through when they are teenagers/early twenties? The whole entitlement thing is an issue across all generations other than pre boomers, IMHO.

HOLA4413

I think Generation Y is far too broad - according to Wiki mid 70's to 2000's. I was born mid 80's, too late to buy an affordable home, where as someone born in the late 70's hovered them up and caused many of the problems in the housing market today.

I would agree though that the mojority of people that crop up on my Facebook page are left wing numpties whould would love to get their mouths around Millibands Balls.

I would also agree that we are mostly superficial celebrity worshipping tossers, and mostly full of ourselves (not me btw :lol: ) - happy to tell people they are a 'Personal Advisor to the Board of Directors' when really they are a secretary.

Edited by hpc-craig

HOLA4414

err - is this generation based or age based?

most people are narcissistic in their youth, and at some point life kicks it out of you somewhere between the age of 15 and 30, that's life

if they have been mollycoddled by the good times they grew up from 1990 to 2005 then they are about to be awakened by the next decade

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

" “I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint.”"

Its cyclical--and the generation that followed Hesiod may have led Greek culture into a downward spiral until Hellenism pulled things back after the Spartans smacked the Persians in the 5th C BC.

The dark ages in Europe may have been introduced by an errant generation that held the previous generation and its learning in contempt.

The WW" generation were war mongers followed by the "love and peace" inventive boomers, followed by the greedy Xers and now the feckless Y-ers. The next generation looks like it may be part of a new dark age. :o

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4417

But isn't that a phase people go through when they are teenagers/early twenties? The whole entitlement thing is an issue across all generations other than pre boomers, IMHO.

mf - got there before me! ;)

HOLA4418

I wonder what the results would show if the survey was to be repeated in 20 years time. Gen Z(?)'s want it all, but Gen Ys realise they have to work to achieve high salaries etc?

HOLA4419

What about the 1980's and all those bloody yuppies. Gen X'ers were kids back then. Look at the state of the way boomers behaved during that wonderful decade. We learned from them in the 80's.

Disgraceful to blame X when they were brought up and influenced by boomers. lol. You couldn't make it up. :blink:

Edited by Wait & See

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

An environment of easy credit and money for nothing produces people who are lazy, expect results with minimal effort and are a bit vain.

problem is - that's leverage of capital, a great deal of the 'money for nothing' thing is exactly that - money for nothing borne out of spectacularly increased productivity compared to previous centuries, as well as lack of wars

so you would get a bit cocky really...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

What they do is take a vast swathe of different people , put them under one umbrella and make generalisations about them.

Like they did with racial groups 100 years ago.

You sound like such a Capricorn

Edited by RichM

HOLA4424

Two things jump out from this article.

“Even if they fail miserably at a job, they still think they’re great at it.” A truer word never spoken! Gen Y just do not accept that they could ever be at fault, it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.

The second comment that jumped out at me was “They want everything. They want the time off. They want the big bucks”. To be fair, don't we all? The difference, in my opinion, is that previous generations have realised that in the absence of luck, hard work is required eventually.

I feel for anyone under the age of 20. They have the double whammy of seeing their grandparents earn, and keep, a large percentage of the wealth, while watching their parents bitter realisation that they're NOT special, and they're NOT worth it.

Poor s0ds.

HOLA4425