House Price Crash Forum

Students Still Aplying For7 Uni's At Risk Of Bankruptcy

http://www.dailymail...ng-closure.html

'Students are being left in the dark over seven at-risk universities which face closure.

Those applying for courses have no way of knowing if their chosen destinations are on the Higher Education Funding Council for England's secret list of imperilled institutions.

The register is said to include London Metropolitan University, which has announced it is to axe two-thirds of its courses. As a result, students on some 400 courses, including trade union studies, performing arts and humanities, will be forced to change subjects or move to another university.

The news has led to fears that the same fate could be suffered by the other six at-risk institutions. Three of these are believed to be the University of West London (formerly Thames Valley University), the University of Cumbria and the University of Gloucestershire.

Margaret Hodge, chairman of the panel, said: 'The Funding Council is not transparent enough about its risk assessments of individual institutions.

'Students deserve to know if the place they choose to study at has a high risk of failing, particularly in the brave new world where the student holds the purse strings.'

The call for transparency comes after MPs were told by a panel of experts that struggling universities will 'go bust' as a result of the Coalition's higher education reforms.'

so two years into a trades union degree,your uni goes bust and there's nowhere else that does said course,whaddya ya do?

iirc correctly leeds met has been mentioned by learned people on here.would love to know the other two jsut in case I have a head rush and decide to embark on a mid life voyage of self discovery that ends up taking a 50% haircut.

You sue the state, thats what you do.

They're closing The University Of Gloucestershire?

WTF?

Where am I going to do my masters in Fred West studies now?

Edit to add: Panic over. I've got a place, through clearing, on the University of Northumbria's Raoul Moat course - prospectus says it's off campus and lasts 6 days, which is a bit of a worry TBH.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Rock and a hard place.

Admit the truth and probably no one will apply, apart from those maybe living locally and unable to attend else where. Keep it secret and the taxpayer could be on the hook for any possible litigation.

It would have been better to prevent these institutions from running up large debts in the first place.

I am not remotley surprised that Gloucestershire Uni is on the list. In 2009 they spent 8.3 Million refurbishing their London Campus. Then closed it seven months later.

I imagine they got carried away in the boom as the value of their campusses sky rocketed.

They announced yesterday that they will be charging just over £8000 to study there. Totally overpriced. My G/F did a year there before ditching it - they could barely make up enough modules relevant to her course.

P.S - Trade Union Studies??? What on earth has this country come to when people can go to uni and study this nonsense.

WTF?

Edit to add: Panic over. I've got a place, through clearing, on the University of Northumbria's Raoul Moat course - prospectus says it's off campus and lasts 6 days, which is a bit of a worry TBH.

:D

P.S - Trade Union Studies??? What on earth has this country come to when people can go to uni and study this nonsense.

For balance, perhaps you could tell us what the Bullingdon Boys and, say, the Mayor of London studied at Uni which qualify them to force 18 yr olds into a lifetime of debt?

WTF?

On a similar note: The University of Cumbrias' prospectus for Derek Bird studies say

' Enjoy our wonderful nightlife.... free shots all night, but it's murder getting a taxi home'

;):unsure:

For balance, perhaps you could tell us what the Bullingdon Boys and, say, the Mayor of London studied at Uni which qualify them to force 18 yr olds into a lifetime of debt?

Bankster cum swallowing 101.

Bankster cum swallowing 101.

Bizarrely correct.

Dave - PPE

Osborne - Modern History

Boris - Literae Humaniores

I'm guessing in each case their daddies paid for their education.

Bizarrely correct.

Dave - PPE

Osborne - Modern History

Boris - Literae Humaniores

I'm guessing in each case their daddies paid for their education.

:lol:

Unless they're living/studying at home, it beats me why any students are applying for UK universities (and the 9k tuition fees) when they could study (and live) far cheaper on the continent. Maybe for an Oxbridge prestige degree it makes sense. Otherwise go abroad, pay far less, learn a new language and have a great time in a different culture.

study abroad= no debt

'It also helps, she said, that her annual tuition fees are just €1,672 – about £1,450.'

leeds met or maastricht???????????

hmmmm... tough choice...

I just found it odd that they could actually find 3 years worth of stuff worth studying about trade unions to make a course out of it.

Edited by hpc-craig